Boom five-eighth dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/boom-fiveeighth-dropped/2007/06/18/1182019102535.html

ON the day Richie Williams joined his new teammates at Penrith, boom rookie Peter Wallace was dropped to reserve grade in a move almost certainly linked to his recent signing with the Broncos.

The Panthers today named Wallace in the centres for their Premier League side despite the regular five-eighth being one of the clubs top performers this year. Wallace's decision to join Brisbane next season seems to have cost him a first grade spot.

Williams, who was released by the Dragons and trained with the the Panthers for the first time today, has been included on an extended bench for Friday's clash against the Warriors, with inexperienced Queensland youngster Maurice Blair named at five-eighth in Wallace's place. Blair usually plays in the centres or back-row.

Wallace, a Penrith junior, expressed concern in today's Herald that his decision to leave the Panthers may lead to a relegation, while the report also correctly predicted that veteran hooker Luke Priddis would be rested for the upcoming game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good decision. Bob Blair's a player to watch

Last edited by a moderator:

farenhyt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ouch that got to hurt, wallace is in good touch, panthers must be spewing his leaving lol, they dont wanna train him up for the broncos

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
Aw poor Wallace. Its understandable thought, I mean he is gone next year and the Panthers are looking ahead. Just sucks for the kid, but Im just happy he's coming here :D!

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
He's nothing special tbh
I reckon with a little guidance and playing next to Locky, he's going to be awesome for us. Besides its better than any other options we have had in the past seasons :p

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
bob blair is a gun he will go well

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He can come up and play for us now if he wants :p

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
I reckon with a little guidance and playing next to Locky, he's going to be awesome for us. Besides its better than any other options we have had in the past seasons :p
I agree. Gower is a groping horny ****ing pig who can't help anyone if his life depended on it.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Understanable, ALA hodges when he was at the broncs.

Sadly, these things can happen when you're a young 'up and comer' , because simply, you are not in the club's future plans, and blooding a young first grader early for experience is a chance second to none.
When Hodges signed with chooks, and he wasnt going to be in our future plans at the time, We had an up and comer, Tate, and thats how it goes.
Unfortunate for Wallace, but he should be able to understand it as well.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wallace wants a release now to the Broncos. Club wont give it though

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Broncos grab new halfback

Courier Mail

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21934750-10389,00.html

HALFBACK saviour Peter Wallace could join Brisbane as early as next week with club officials last night manoeuvring for his immediate release from Penrith.

Wallace, 21, has signed a two-year deal to join Brisbane from 2008, but with 10 days remaining before the June 30 cut-off date he is eager to join the NRL merry-go-round by immediately linking with master coach Wayne Bennett and the defending premiers.
Penrith may yet block the move, but that appears unlikely following the arrival of ex-Dragon Richie Williams this week.

The immediate playing futures of Wallace and fellow Brisbane-bound Panther Joel Clinton remain heavily clouded after coach Matt Elliott gave the pair no guarantee of finishing 2007 in first grade. He underlined that message yesterday by dropping the in-form Wallace to Premier League.

"He'd be an option on a small base contract with match payments," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said of the man viewed as Darren Lockyer's long-term halves partner.

"I doubt they'd release him – but Penrith would have paid him more than half of what his current contract is. If we were able to get him under $50,000, that would keep him under our cap."

Elliott, who has indicated he is ready to start implementing plans for next year, said on Monday that Clinton might need to stand aside for an emerging prop. He also refused to guarantee Wallace's NRL spot.

The Panthers are also grooming up-and-coming pivot Maurice Blair, who was named in first grade yesterday.

"It would need to be a quick turnaround," Wallace's manager Allan Gainey said of the potential switch last night. "He's got to do it before Saturday week."

Gainey said he would be disappointed if Penrith refused Wallace a release and then made him play out the season in reserve grade.

"I don't think Matt Elliott would be game to do that. There would be an uproar," Gainey said.

"If they don't pick people on form there would be an uproar. His form warrants selection in first grade, surely.

"I'd be very disappointed if something like that happened, as would most people at the club, fans included. He (Elliott) would be putting his neck right on the block. You just don't do those sorts of things."

Because Wallace played only one NRL game last year, Brisbane can snare its man without breaching the salary cap.

"As a local junior, Peter's still overcoming the disappointment of not being made an offer," Gainey said. "He's just disappointed he didn't even have an offer to consider. That's their call.

"We went out there asking them to table their first, final and best offer. They virtually said 'we wish you all the best'. And he would have stayed there for less."

Clinton, who does not qualify for the exemption after playing 23 matches last year, is likely to play out the year in Penrith.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Should be allowed for the Blaxland High Junior i reckon we can see him in a broncos jersey next week.

If he is broncos will make the 8 imo

Kingi

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh well, thats the price wallace had 2 pay for not staying loyal 2 the club that made him, its a good 2 decision 2 look 2 williams for the future.
Although it would really benefit brisbane if wallace was 2 get a release now.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
oh well, thats the price wallace had 2 pay for not staying loyal 2 the club that made him, its a good 2 decision 2 look 2 williams for the future.
Although it would really benefit brisbane if wallace was 2 get a release now.
Agree

He is in good form as well and with DL by his side he would seem so comfortable there.

If he is with Brisbane next week i think they can grab a few wins over the next 6 weeks.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really hope he joins the broncos now, an extra half a season to bond with the team and find his way, would really set us up from the word go next year. Its a shame he has been thrown out of first grade, but the panthers need to look to their own players for the future. I dont think the panthers will be willing to let him go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.