Bon Jovi vs Gunners

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Richie Sambora as a guitarist frustrates me - For over 20 years he's looked as though he could bust the sh*t out of a mean solo at a million miles an hour. But more often than not, he's happier to find a more (to put it mildly) "soulful" sounding solo where applicable (think Bed Of Roses). Has great technique and a good chord-vocabulary, but NO chops ! Total book smarts with loads of gloss.

Slash however ..... well he frustrates me too. One dimensional blues-based solos were aplenty earlier on. Later on, (when the Godfather theme used to get played and he got a 10min solo every night) he got more creative and experimented more. Fantastic chops without the chord-vocabulary. Total balls with loads of dirt !

Edit : Dimebag = Slash x10 / Yngwie = Richie x10 !
exactly right CK

i missed bon jovi during their 'new jersey' tour, but a mate of mine, who teaches drums at the conservatorium for music here in perth, said there was a moment where tico torres was busting out some latin style while sambora was ripping out some of the best stuff he'd ever heard him play

2 solos intertwining

he said, while he had seen plenty of stuff from clinics with torres, he'd never seen sambora play to what most people knew he was capable of and i guess only showed during moments like these, because back in the day when shredding was acceptable in mainstream, he still held back, but would show some stuff live with these sorts of things

would have been nice to see sambora really tear it a new one on a consistent basis, but he was too conservative, even though he's capable of it, but i guess that's why he plays for bon jovi right?
:p

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
would have been nice to see sambora really tear it a new one on a consistent basis, but he was too conservative, even though he's capable of it, but i guess that's why he plays for bon jovi right?
:p
Lets be really, really, really fair to Richie (well ... much more than we usually are to people anyway).

It was the 80's - Lots of women - Heather Lockyear - Solo ambitions after JBJ gets more than his fair share of songwriting credits - Vocal/lyrical ambitions see a release of own album during 90's ...... all served to distract him from developing chops. From memory the best I can recall is 16 bars of Bad Medicine solo which shreds a little.

At the end of the day, he realises what a good wicket he's on, and is happy to self-indulge in back-up vox, collector guitars and amps, various tones, songwriting ( JBJ usually does allow the occasional Sambora track on an album ) and generally get swept up in the beast of Bon Jovi.

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
bon jovi's greatest hits album>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gunners greatest hits album

G

Gladiator.

bon jovi's greatest hits album>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gunners greatest hits album
lol i love bon jovi alot, but lets not go that far

gunners greatest album ****s all over bon jovi sideways

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
lol i love bon jovi alot, but lets not go that far

gunners greatest album ****s all over bon jovi sideways

i love gunners too but bon jovi's crossroads album is like the bestest collection of songs...

better that gunners best songs put together HTH

S

sandman77

I agree with Vai. BTW buddy wtf happened to your name, its missing.

Anyway, I can see so many positives to both bands.

Personally I like GNR Appatite and Illusions better than anything Bon Jovi has bought out. For me I pretty much only like Bon Jovi Slippery and Jersey Albums and his solo song BLaze of Glory. Pretty much everything he/they has done imo is boring.

But I will give it to Bon Jovi for no real good reason despite my argument is favouring GNR

M

mofo sixx

ahh, the common mistake champ, i never said it's what everyone would prefer, i just said they were infinately better musicians ;)

we all have our preferences for whatever in life, but if you want to know, for example, who is a 'better' guitarist?

have slash do a guitar clinic and then sambora do a clinic

sambora would blow the doors off slash without batting an eyelid, his experience and knowledge with guitar technique is far more diverse and has more range than slash

ditto on the rest of the band in their respective positions

when it comes to preference however, i prefer the attitude and style of slash more

ditto with duff

drums, vocals i have no preference, there are things both vocalists do that make me cringe a bit, but alot of respect for both

but, as for bands, my preference is for the style and attitude of gunners

but, alot of respect for both really :D

lol at sixx, so true
Vai, i respect ur opinion but i cant agree,

saying that Sambora would blow the doors of slash in a clinic, WTF?

Sambora has had 20 + yrs to blow the doors off slash & has never once done so,

Sambora is a sterile musician from a sterile band, Slash oozes feel & i honestly think your underestimating Slash's technical abilities as well,

IMO!

G

Gladiator.

vai > sambora + slash mulitplied by jesus divided by blackmore all to the power of santana

hth

S

sandman77

Vai, i respect ur opinion but i cant agree,

saying that Sambora would blow the doors of slash in a clinic, WTF?

Sambora has had 20 + yrs to blow the doors off slash & has never once done so,

Sambora is a sterile musician from a sterile band, Slash oozes feel & i honestly think your underestimating Slash's technical abilities as well,

IMO!
Yeah I kinda agree with you.

Slash is a messy guitarist. Largly ue to the fact the guy is alwys off his face. And Slash has always been a gut against the grain kinda guy, he pretty much plays lazy. He just does hat he does, if he hits a bunch of sloppy notes or wrong notes thn he dont care. Not only that Slash rarely plays things the same way twice, He kinda bluffs his way and adlibs his way though most times, Thats what I mean by playing lazy. Where Sambora trys hard to be good. Doesnt move bout much on stage. Holds his guitar in a high comfitable position and generally trys his best and is sober on stage.

I think for this reason he is a neater guitarist.

And I dont think Sombors music is any harder to play than slash. Infact I think Slash has got him there.

Lets not forget Jimi Hendrix. He was the messyist uitarist known to man kind. but he was brilliant. I put Slash in that style, Its always raw and natural, Sambora is more neat and acurate but its a steril sound.

My vote has to go to Slash I think

Sorry Vai buddy, As mntioned by mofo, I respect your opinion when it omes to msic, but in this case I just don't agree,

Slash all the way for me.

By the way, on your logic about Sambora, the same can apply to buckethead. guess in that case buckethead is better than Slash, But I bet ya one thing, Most people would rather listen to and watch slash over buckethead

A

Al.Bundy

bon jovi ruined every song they ever had when i saw them in concert this year.

Gunners > Bon jovi

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Guns n Roses (not the new version) did in 10 years, most bands won't achieve in their lifetimes.

Having said that, well done to Bon Jovi for lasting so long and being probably the only "big hair band" from the 80's that didn't get forgotten about and swept aside by the "grunge" era of the early 90's (pity that, in a way).

S

sandman77

bump this thread aint done till the fat lady sings.

Now which fat lady kenneler want to sing

M

mofo sixx

it needs to be said

Bon Jovi are siht, fcuk them!

there case settled!

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Vai. BTW buddy wtf happened to your name, its missing.

Anyway, I can see so many positives to both bands.

Personally I like GNR Appatite and Illusions better than anything Bon Jovi has bought out. For me I pretty much only like Bon Jovi Slippery and Jersey Albums and his solo song BLaze of Glory. Pretty much everything he/they has done imo is boring.

But I will give it to Bon Jovi for no real good reason despite my argument is favouring GNR
before the website holiday not too long ago, i changed my username colour to white with a blue glow, since then it hasn't been fixed
i'd rather change my username to what i was saving up for anyways :D

you're dead right, both bands have alot of claims to fame and i'm with ya on preference, appetite over anything by 'anchovy'

but ditto on the bon jovi album preference, slippery and jersey were my faves

bon jovi have more feathers in their cap than the gnr brand, but my preference is for gunners

Yeah I kinda agree with you.

Slash is a messy guitarist. Largly ue to the fact the guy is alwys off his face. And Slash has always been a gut against the grain kinda guy, he pretty much plays lazy. He just does hat he does, if he hits a bunch of sloppy notes or wrong notes thn he dont care. Not only that Slash rarely plays things the same way twice, He kinda bluffs his way and adlibs his way though most times, Thats what I mean by playing lazy. Where Sambora trys hard to be good. Doesnt move bout much on stage. Holds his guitar in a high comfitable position and generally trys his best and is sober on stage.

I think for this reason he is a neater guitarist.

And I dont think Sombors music is any harder to play than slash. Infact I think Slash has got him there.

Lets not forget Jimi Hendrix. He was the messyist uitarist known to man kind. but he was brilliant. I put Slash in that style, Its always raw and natural, Sambora is more neat and acurate but its a steril sound.

My vote has to go to Slash I think

Sorry Vai buddy, As mntioned by mofo, I respect your opinion when it omes to msic, but in this case I just don't agree,

Slash all the way for me.

By the way, on your logic about Sambora, the same can apply to buckethead. guess in that case buckethead is better than Slash, But I bet ya one thing, Most people would rather listen to and watch slash over buckethead
1st- in regards to recorded content, perhaps here and there, but then the same vice versa with sambora ;)

2nd- preference is the keyword, but i wasn't talking preference in regards to 'better guitarist', but rather known ability and versatility with an axe :grinning:

bump this thread aint done till the fat lady sings.

Now which fat lady kenneler want to sing
lol, it all comes down to preference, bon jovi have far more accolades than gunners, but it's always preference

i'm only an 80kg male, but..........*sings* :p

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bump
2012 Bon Jovi is better than 2012 GNR
1988 GNR better than 1988 Bon Jovi

I prefer Slash style, image, and solos to Samboa in everyway.

I am a fan of both bands but old GNR including the Illusion albums imo better than anything Bon Jovie ever did
My 66 year old dad disagrees with me, he cant stand GNR thinks slash and Axl are gutter rats, and likes Bon jovi living on a prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.