Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Bloody row mars victory
By Dean Ritchie
March 14, 2005

MANLY hooker Shayne Dunley will have blood tests today in a dramatic postscript to the opening round of the National Rugby League.

Irate ... Dunley was irate at having to pack down against Fien's bloody face. Pic AAP

Week one of the 2005 competition ended in controversy last night when Manly officials expressed anger that Dunley had been splattered by the blood of his New Zealand Warriors opponent Nathan Fien.

The incident overshadowed a stirring win for the Sea Eagles in Auckland. Fien suffered a nasty head cut during the game and despite receiving treatment he still bled profusely while on the field.

Manly will lodge a formal complaint with the NRL about the incident while furious Manly players will approach the players association to table their own protest.

The drama reached boiling point when Manly players discussed not packing into a scrum against the Warriors.

Dunley complained to referee Sean Hampstead during the match after he was left covered in Fien's blood from a scrum.

"Shayne Dunley was covered in blood. He asked the referee but nothing was done. It isn't right," Manly coach Des Hasler said.

NRL chief executive David Gallop, who was in Auckland, discussed the situation with Manly officials in the dressing room after the final whistle.

The Sea Eagles' victory capped an exciting round one with the Bulldogs, Parramatta, Sydney Roosters, Cronulla, Brisbane and Melbourne also winning although Andrew Johns' return to football was forgettable as the Newcastle Knights lost 48-10 to Melbourne Storm.

------------------------------

I thought this was pretty interesting. I knew the match was pretty aggressive, but I didnt know it was that rough.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
its just wrong

I don't know what Hamstead was doing, Surely when someone is covered in blood as bad as Fien is it poses a health risk to other players

A

atomic_crimson

he should have been taken off... any other player with an open wound come in contact with him coulda land themselves in serious health problems

M

MrCharisma

Bloody good game.... god I want to go down to Brookie and smash Tezza

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To say it was a great game would be be to state the bleeding obvious *crowd laughing*

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
that was very disgusting of nathan fien... i can see why the seagulls dont want to pack the scrum unless nathan fien was taken off from the field

L

Lobo

thats very dumb. In fact they're lucky it happened in New Zealand, because that is actually illegal in Australia. However the privatised laws of the sport maybe protects them unless the NRL otherwise prosecutes.

M

MrCharisma

Premier Ozzy said:
that was very disgusting of nathan fien... i can see why the seagulls dont want to pack the scrum unless nathan fien was taken off from the field
Lol the Seagulls were kicked out of the comp along time ago ;)

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
Lol the Seagulls were kicked out of the comp along time ago ;)
Seagulls... Sea Eagle...

Fuq they both sound the same...

F

Forum Idiot

That was the best game of the weekend , it was tough , physical and went right down to the wire.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
it was stupid of Fien to play with blood coming out of his head yeah

also Stevie loves Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.