Blake Wilson signs with Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL

Jack Jones

Waterboy
Reaction score
A highlight video from a year plagued with injuries has landed Sunshine Coast Falcons product and Noosa River cafe manager Blake Wilson a professional NRL contract. Watch the video.

Noosa Pirates junior and Sunshine Coast Falcons player Blake Wilson has signed a professional contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Noosa Pirates junior and Sunshine Coast Falcons product Blake Wilson has edged another step closer to his elite level dream after signing a professional contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL.

Wilson, who graduated from Sunshine Beach State High School in 2017, played 12 games for the Falcons in 2022 scoring nine tries, two try assists, 56 tackles breaks and an average of 121 running metres.

The 22-year-old said he was excited for the coming months.

“I wasn’t expecting it to be honest, I had a patchy year with injuries and how many games I played because with the Melbourne Storm players coming back it sometimes pushes us out of the team but with the games I played I put some highlights together with my manager and sent them off to a few clubs,” he said.

“We had a few clubs bite back but the Bulldogs were the most keen so I went down for a meeting and signed from there.”

The Waterline Espresso cafe manager and talented fullback said he was thankful for the support he had received.

“I started playing when I was six at the Noosa Pirates and then worked through the Falcons system for the last four years,” he said.

“I had a pre-season with the Melbourne Storm last year which was great so now I’m really looking forward to making the transition to Sydney and focusing on improving myself full time.”

Wilson joins Tyson Smoothy (Brisbane Broncos) and Grant Anderson (Melbourne Storm) to have signed NRL contracts from the Falcons this season.

Wilson would begin his one-year-deal in November and said he hoped to make a good first impression.

“I’ve really looked up to those guys with more experience and maturity on the Sunshine Coast and it’ll be good to get down there and learn even more from those professional players and coaching staff,” he said.

“Obviously anything can happen through pre-season and the trial matches, my goal is to be playing first grade but if that means starting in NSW Cup then so be it.”

He said he was extremely thankful of the efforts of his family, friends, coaches and teammates over the years.

A young Blake Wilson with former Noosa Pirate and NRL star Moses Mbye (left) and Wilson celebrating with the Noosa Pirates (right).

6dd67a7e1e90f6efd2b39119db71e776.jpeg21e0a75a6ebef72fcfe4d9f3486c9dc3.jpeg

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"Professional Contract" - So, Train and Trial? Or top 30?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks very promising. Nice speed to burn as well.. beware of the guy in the head gear I think is safe to say. Can break the line an skip around players too. Thanks for the highlights insight !!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rugby league gotta be the only sport in the world where you can earn any sort of professional contract by sending a highlights package to every club and hoping for the best

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read another article where it stated it’s most likely a development contract. And that we have 2 roster spots open for 2023.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is one of the things Gus does... when we do not have heaps of players coming through from juniors he looks all around trying to find someone that given a different environment could develop into something. But also is not afraid to give someone a go for a year and if they don't work out, cut them. We don't have much coverage on the wing other than Corey Allen and Knockenbor. So pretty smart move.

This is all based on a development or train and trial contract, will not be taking up a Top 30 unless one of the two above (JO or CA) have been cut and we are looking for a cheap option because we are spending money elsewhere.

As far as his age is concerned, im not worried. Injuries and other factors can derail the path to first grade. Also with the Covid affected season last few years , players have lost a year of development.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A highlight video from a year plagued with injuries has landed Sunshine Coast Falcons product and Noosa River cafe manager Blake Wilson a professional NRL contract. Watch the video.

Noosa Pirates junior and Sunshine Coast Falcons player Blake Wilson has signed a professional contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Noosa Pirates junior and Sunshine Coast Falcons product Blake Wilson has edged another step closer to his elite level dream after signing a professional contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL.

Wilson, who graduated from Sunshine Beach State High School in 2017, played 12 games for the Falcons in 2022 scoring nine tries, two try assists, 56 tackles breaks and an average of 121 running metres.

The 22-year-old said he was excited for the coming months.

“I wasn’t expecting it to be honest, I had a patchy year with injuries and how many games I played because with the Melbourne Storm players coming back it sometimes pushes us out of the team but with the games I played I put some highlights together with my manager and sent them off to a few clubs,” he said.

“We had a few clubs bite back but the Bulldogs were the most keen so I went down for a meeting and signed from there.”

The Waterline Espresso cafe manager and talented fullback said he was thankful for the support he had received.

“I started playing when I was six at the Noosa Pirates and then worked through the Falcons system for the last four years,” he said.

“I had a pre-season with the Melbourne Storm last year which was great so now I’m really looking forward to making the transition to Sydney and focusing on improving myself full time.”

Wilson joins Tyson Smoothy (Brisbane Broncos) and Grant Anderson (Melbourne Storm) to have signed NRL contracts from the Falcons this season.

Wilson would begin his one-year-deal in November and said he hoped to make a good first impression.

“I’ve really looked up to those guys with more experience and maturity on the Sunshine Coast and it’ll be good to get down there and learn even more from those professional players and coaching staff,” he said.

“Obviously anything can happen through pre-season and the trial matches, my goal is to be playing first grade but if that means starting in NSW Cup then so be it.”

He said he was extremely thankful of the efforts of his family, friends, coaches and teammates over the years.

A young Blake Wilson with former Noosa Pirate and NRL star Moses Mbye (left) and Wilson celebrating with the Noosa Pirates (right).

View attachment 60522View attachment 60523
Looks pretty decent.

Wish the kid well & hopefully he kills it in Reggies

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Decent highlights reel, zippy evasive and saw many catches of the high ball, Avo may be nervous indeed lol
Must have as many good options as possible, wonder is he regarded as one to step up to first grade or cover in reggies because Toia might...