Opinion Blake Taffee

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know CC hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his selection choices since coming across to us but I actually wouldn't be surprised if Taaf get dropped once Fox is back. Tracey wasn't available until round two when Fox was out injured. Fingers crossed for Tracey to fullback with Fox in his usual left wing position.
It makes sense that Tracey could take FB because he's been on the wing. I'd say Ciraldo wouldn't have wanted him at centre as that means no kick returns.
I'm expecting no changes in TLT, be interesting to see final team list before kick off

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fairness to Ciro, you cannot expect to build a winning culture if you’re chopping and changing the team all the time. He actually made many changes last season, but was between a rock and a hard place with so many injuries and a very mediocre squad.

He eventually got rid of Flanno and Perham. Alamoti wasn’t wanted after showing he isn’t actually first grade quality (he looked average in reggies yesterday) and a few others weren’t re-signed.

You have to give players a decent run to show their stuff and build combinations. It may be different if we had Tracey available all preseason. Ciro has been proven to get a lot of his selections right with most players going well. Salmon has been a bit shit and Taffy about as good as everyone expected, but the rest of his selections (even Hutch) have been proven to be probably correct. We won’t know re: Hutch until we see Sexton or someone else, but besides a few basic errors that any player can be guilty of, he’s been solid and set up spme good tries down the right side.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think he is going to cut it, behind a go forward pack he would be ok
We need a tackle buster I think Critta at FB
As he needs more touches
Atleast we have some options in the backline

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with all this. If Xerri keeps improving/getting back to pre ban levels I would also have him in with Kiraz taking over from Wilson. Kiraz has been pretty good in centre & Wilson ok as well. Wilson just suffers from a smaller frame. If/when Fox is back we can’t afford both wingers to be so small when returning kicks.
On the topic of Xerri, anyone seen him play since the season commenced? How is he going?
I watched him closely yesterday, cause I admit I’m rooting for him, but honestly, defensively? He looked waaaay off.
still has a super running game though.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Taaffe is terrible. Both him and Salmon are massive weak links that we already have superior replacements for.
Yea, I was happy to wait and see what salmon had early, but it’s obvious that both Curran and Mann are the right people for that middle forward role.
he has to spend some time in Reggie’s, gotta get some size on that bench.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I agree with all this. If Xerri keeps improving/getting back to pre ban levels I would also have him in with Kiraz taking over from Wilson. Kiraz has been pretty good in centre & Wilson ok as well. Wilson just suffers from a smaller frame. If/when Fox is back we can’t afford both wingers to be so small when returning kicks.
On the topic of Xerri, anyone seen him play since the season commenced? How is he going?
Disagree on Wilson he does nothing wrong and finishes tries with ease. Xerri will have to fight for a centre spot maybe hel get a chance if critta goes to Fb but kiraz was just about our best player

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
to see him smile again was great, it’s all about confidence for him now, and getting a little of that back he will come out of his shell more an believe in himself, he has mad skills as we’ve all seen. he needed that game to get him going again. Will see how he goes against his old team, I’m sure he will have a killer game as he has a point to prove.. which will see him grow in confidence even more.. that’s the hope !!

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
CC on triple M this morning said they are “not counting on Fox” for this week

Sounds like Taffee survives another week

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm OK with Taaffe. He has improved, and is safe enough under the ball. Even star fullbacks sometimes drop the ball under pressure.

My biggest concern is that he is light. He has the speed we want in a fullback, but he has no size or weight to break a tackle or push players back when he runs into them.

While I like Taaffe, I think that Xerri or Crichton would have more impact.
He's too small.. against the better sides they will destroy him...
Tracey needs to be fullback...
Kiraz had his best game yesterday too which is something..
Taffe cannot play fullback

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Taaffe > Perham

I am not missing Average-fellow or his defensive reads any more.

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We should be going after Ethan Sanders from eels... why is he going to the Raiders where he's behind fogerty and strange and possibly the guy from manly? He would be our starting 7 next year round 1

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve watched all NSW cup games. He is not exactly setting the world on fire. He has carried the ball strongly in yardage but has struggled to beat his man. And his defence has been putrid at times.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coach don’t change a losing team what makes you people think he is dropping a player from a winning team.
Because Fox is walking straight back in if fit. So, who misses out?

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taafes become a scapegoat to many, unfair scrutiny on the most part. Perhaps Tracey would eventuate to be the more appropriate option, in the present emphasis on chemistry is vital there’s some genuine charisma and connection already evident in the side. Early days with a Good Friday clash and Roosters ahead could be defining for Taafe I think he’ll be right.