Opinion Blake Taffee

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Shaky under the high ball, gets out contested, constantly driven back in tackles, gets our sets off to a bad start. Is this the guy we want at fullback every week?

He has speed and looks good when running but it rarely translates into executing a line break.

He had some flashes of nice play but on balance is a net negative at fullback IMO.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I guess the only thing I can’t comment on is he’s organising of defensive line. Having not been to a game, can’t see if he’s very vocal at the back arranging things. If so that’s a big plus as our defence has been great. Can anyone who’s been to a game comment on this.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How many players were backing up when Mahoney made the break up the middle? One, only one, that would be Taaffe. If he's not backing up, no try.

Always a Bulldog
That's something missing consistently from the whole team at present..but is the F/Bs job. He was much improved but probably is not a long term fix for the position. Tracey on the other hand does appear to be.
Ciro has a big decision to make for the Souths game if Fox is fit.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Fox is back Ciraldo is crazy if he moves Tracey to reserve grade instead of replacing Taaffe. I thought Taaffe would offer a lot more but he's no real threat in attack either

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all this. If Xerri keeps improving/getting back to pre ban levels I would also have him in with Kiraz taking over from Wilson. Kiraz has been pretty good in centre & Wilson ok as well. Wilson just suffers from a smaller frame. If/when Fox is back we can’t afford both wingers to be so small when returning kicks.
On the topic of Xerri, anyone seen him play since the season commenced? How is he going?
I've read Xerri has been missing a lot of tackles (like 5 a game) in reggies. He / Ciraldo need to fix that up before they consider him for NRL

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think give Taffee few more games, players always deserve a few games to prove themselves, in saying that he definitely be targeted with high ball on Good Friday, so time to aim up.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
we win 32-0 and people here still bagging our players. SMH
It was against a poor opposition. We cannot we content with yesterday’s performance. We should always look to improve despite winning. JAC should be able next week and I’ll play Tracey at FB.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been saying it since Tracey was signed. He is the best fullback we have at the club…… Better yardage. More speed. More dangerous coming through the middle. Classier player. Taaffe won’t catch a contested kick. He just can’t do it.

I also said if gus and Ciro want him in the 13 then he takes a half spot. I’d personally give him some time in reserve grade to find his mojo and get some rhythm. Shame Tracey came injured because I’m sure he’d have the 1 with a full preseason with the boys. Even when the ball when to him. The way he returned it and engaged the line. Very fullback like.

One thing that is for sure. He doesn’t miss out when Foxx returns.
I’ve been saying it since preseason too. If anyone had watched Sharks in the last few years it was obvious he’s a very reliable and professional player. No nonsense, just does his job well every week.

I’m worried about Ciro picking Taffy again for the foreseeable future just like with Perham. Look at Hayze now, well entrenched in reggies and barely good enough for that. Taffy is slightly better perhaps and he is very good positionally. Always in the right place, but tbh we need more from a fullback.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all this. If Xerri keeps improving/getting back to pre ban levels I would also have him in with Kiraz taking over from Wilson. Kiraz has been pretty good in centre & Wilson ok as well. Wilson just suffers from a smaller frame. If/when Fox is back we can’t afford both wingers to be so small when returning kicks.
On the topic of Xerri, anyone seen him play since the season commenced? How is he going?
Xerri has dropped down the pecking order tbh. He was solid in his trial games but has been average in reggies. Samrani has looked better.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Xerri has dropped down the pecking order tbh. He was solid in his trial games but has been average in reggies. Samrani has looked better.
Is he playing left and is better on the right?
He looks a bit lost atm.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he playing left and is better on the right?
He looks a bit lost atm.
I don’t think it’s that, because he had a strong game in the Sharks trial on the left. It’s partly the ball mostly going right, but also he seems to have dropped his head now reality has set in. He setup a good try yesterday though.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that, because he had a strong game in the Sharks trial on the left. It’s partly the ball mostly going right, but also he seems to have dropped his head now reality has set in. He setup a good try yesterday though.
He is getting jammed up with Papa running towards the corners but he isn't cutting back in. Looks too muscled and lost some agility.
Second row?? :grinning: has dropped his head for sure.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been saying it since preseason too. If anyone had watched Sharks in the last few years it was obvious he’s a very reliable and professional player. No nonsense, just does his job well every week.

I’m worried about Ciro picking Taffy again for the foreseeable future just like with Perham. Look at Hayze now, well entrenched in reggies and barely good enough for that. Taffy is slightly better perhaps and he is very good positionally. Always in the right place, but tbh we need more from a fullback.
I agree. And I think your are right with cirro. He is a very stick and pick type of player which is good for player confidence. But it’s obvious Conner is the best 1 we have at the club. Safe, speedy, and a meter eater which we need. Everyone blew their load because Taaffe ran for 160m last week. But more games rather then not he runs for 120m. Tracey on the other hand will get you 170.

I also think eventually Xerri is our second best centre. So we will need to fit him in the 1-5. So Kiraz might have to play wing if it’s for the best of the team. Otherwise Xerri was brought in to play nsw cup.