News Biggest issue facing Phil Gould in Bulldogs rebuild as question mark hangs over halfback spot

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Pretty cruisy job our halfback will have next year compared to this year that’s for sure. A pack of forwards actually going forward and getting quick play the balls, Burton outside you running a muck, and some lethal outside backs whol do more damage then Elliott after 1am. I might put my hand up

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t wait to see the improvement just from Burton’s kicking game, should mean we can make teams come off there line more - if no Elliot and Napa maybe less stupid penalty legs up up field.I guess I can only dream we still have another loose cannon penalty magnet

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I laughed so hard when he mentioned JmK as a stop gap halfback...
If an injury to a half back (whoever that is) happens during a game and we have Topine on the bench, I see JMK going to 7 as a possibility.

One of the arts of coaching is knowing which players to move around when you have injuries during a game, and not have the appropriate cover on the bench. Good coaches practice this at training on a regular basis even though you hope you never need to do it.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pretty cruisy job our halfback will have next year compared to this year that’s for sure. A pack of forwards actually going forward and getting quick play the balls, Burton outside you running a muck, and some lethal outside backs whol do more damage then Elliott after 1am. I might put my hand up
It all depends on how well our hookers play IMO. We need crisp sharp running and passing from the play the ball and someone who can spot the gaps and direct the play left to right. The dh needs to take a few steps forward otherwise by the time the first receiver gets the ball the defence are in their face. Come on jmk give us some momentum and creativity we badly need.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It all depends on how well our hookers play IMO. We need crisp sharp running and passing from the play the ball and someone who can spot the gaps and direct the play left to right. The dh needs to take a few steps forward otherwise by the time the first receiver gets the ball the defence are in their face. Come on jmk give us some momentum and creativity we badly need.
Lock is also an issue, if Jackson is going to be handling the ball 30+ times a game then he needs to be better.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ask Canberra if they want Cotric back and they can give us Corey Horsburgh and Ryan James in return.

Then release Luke Thompson to the Tigers and with the freed up money sign either Mitchell Pearce, Adam Douehi or Chanel Harris-Tavita to play in the halves alongside Matt Burton.

Side note- Arthur Morgue who is the Catalans fullback but can also play in the halves is a good player.

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How is Pearce of crap the answer? One of the worst ever HB for NSW and one of the main reasons why they got flogged for a decade or so. He has consistently throughout his career that he is NO leader on or off the field.
In round one of the finals last year the mighty Mitchell Pearce lead Newcastle to a 46-20 loss against Souths. There is no play in the competition I dislike more than Mitchell Pearce. It sure will be interesting for me if he ends up at the Dogs next year. (I guess ill just blame him for everything that goes wrong)

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo could develop into a jerohme hughes type halfback, He has shown similar traits (against shit teams like the tigers), Just might take some time.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Rebuild is going to take 3-5 years. Our eventual peak time will probably look nothing like our team next year. It’s just about winning games and being competitive again whilst building
Sweet, we're already in the 5th year!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I think our whole spine will have a much easier job. I just hope they can all stay healthy and on the field with no distractions.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ridiculous to single out cotric.
Backs cannot score tries if you don’t dominate the ruck win field position and kick well.
Not fair to single him out, I agree but his performances were well below his paycheck regardless of how the team was going.
Looking forward to seeing him get back to his best (and beyond) next year.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ridiculous to single out cotric.
Backs cannot score tries if you don’t dominate the ruck win field position and kick well.
Oh of course... When ur attack is shithouse your wingers look bad. I personally think his defence was on point and was very handy.

Like everybody else, you cannot judge until 2022.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric really needs to earn his money next year. Can't be a fall over the try line winger..
He showed some glimpses here and there where there was a line break. But you are right . We all expected him to do more