Big Dazza (Darryl Eastlake) passes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Iconic sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake dead at 75
TRIBUTES have flooded in for iconic Australian sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake after he died on Thursday aged 75.

ICONIC Australian sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake has died aged 75.

Channel Nine reported the former Wide World of Sports commentator passed away on Thursday morning at a nursing home on the NSW central coast after a battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

Eastlake was a larger-than-life personality who called rugby league matches and motorsports, as well as weightlifting and the Commonwealth and Olympic Games. His over-the-top descriptions and ability to hype up any event with his booming voice made him a favourite among sports fans.

Eastlake worked in TV and radio for more than 40 years and was the voice of State of Origin games in the 1980s and early 1990s.

He had been fighting Alzheimer’s and emphysema for the past eight years.

AFL commentator and Nine personality Eddie McGuire, who worked with Eastlake at the Commonwealth Games, said he was “larger than life” and a man who did his homework.

“He was a great teammate and I had many great times with him. He was sensational on air,” McGuire told Triple M.

news.com.auAPRIL 19, 20188:53AM

Fellow Wide World of Sports legend Ken Sutcliffe worked alongside Eastlake and remembers a man who was full of enthusiasm.

“Darrell used to get to a fever pitch from very early on in the game,” Sutcliffe told The Daily Telegraph in 2013.

“He’d get so excited that David Hill, our executive producer, stood behind Darrell in the broadcast box at Lang Park with a rolled up Courier Mail.

“He’d belt him over the head if he started getting too carried away but Darrell just kept on calling in his own unique style.

“He had his own unique style. You heard his voice and you knew you were watching State of Origin.”

Eastlake was the voice of Origin.Source:News Corp Australia

Speaking in 2016, Eastlake’s wife Julie detailed the tragic toll his illness had taken on both of them.

“It’s been so hard for me to tell him he can’t come home,” Mrs Eastlake told Channel Nine’s A Current Affair.

“If he falls I can’t pick him up — and he has fallen so many times.

“He gets very down because he thinks he’s forgotten, but he’s not forgotten, he’s really and truly not.

“I do a lot of crying when I leave the nursing home.

“I sit here and say to myself, ‘Where’s my man gone?’”

Comedian Billy Birmingham included Eastlake in his popular 12th Man projects in which he would impersonate famous identities including the Channel 9 cricket commentary team.

Eastlake started his working life as a baggage handler at Qantas, then ran a surf shop before entering the media.

Eastlake retired in 2005.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"Oh, big jack has hit me and i`m crashing to the floor....."

The man was made for SoO.

My favourite story on Daz comes from a friend of mine who used to work at a servo on the central coast where he lived. He said Darrell was as animated in every day conversation as he was on the tele, yelling: "fill it up Richie. hohoho!" and although my mate wasn't into sports at all, said he really saw him as a good bloke.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Iconic sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake dead at 75
TRIBUTES have flooded in for iconic Australian sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake after he died on Thursday aged 75.

ICONIC Australian sports broadcaster Darrell Eastlake has died aged 75.

Channel Nine reported the former Wide World of Sports commentator passed away on Thursday morning at a nursing home on the NSW central coast after a battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

Eastlake was a larger-than-life personality who called rugby league matches and motorsports, as well as weightlifting and the Commonwealth and Olympic Games. His over-the-top descriptions and ability to hype up any event with his booming voice made him a favourite among sports fans.

Eastlake worked in TV and radio for more than 40 years and was the voice of State of Origin games in the 1980s and early 1990s.

He had been fighting Alzheimer’s and emphysema for the past eight years.

AFL commentator and Nine personality Eddie McGuire, who worked with Eastlake at the Commonwealth Games, said he was “larger than life” and a man who did his homework.

“He was a great teammate and I had many great times with him. He was sensational on air,” McGuire told Triple M.

news.com.auAPRIL 19, 20188:53AM

Fellow Wide World of Sports legend Ken Sutcliffe worked alongside Eastlake and remembers a man who was full of enthusiasm.

“Darrell used to get to a fever pitch from very early on in the game,” Sutcliffe told The Daily Telegraph in 2013.

“He’d get so excited that David Hill, our executive producer, stood behind Darrell in the broadcast box at Lang Park with a rolled up Courier Mail.

“He’d belt him over the head if he started getting too carried away but Darrell just kept on calling in his own unique style.

“He had his own unique style. You heard his voice and you knew you were watching State of Origin.”

Eastlake was the voice of Origin.Source:News Corp Australia

Speaking in 2016, Eastlake’s wife Julie detailed the tragic toll his illness had taken on both of them.

“It’s been so hard for me to tell him he can’t come home,” Mrs Eastlake told Channel Nine’s A Current Affair.

“If he falls I can’t pick him up — and he has fallen so many times.

“He gets very down because he thinks he’s forgotten, but he’s not forgotten, he’s really and truly not.

“I do a lot of crying when I leave the nursing home.

“I sit here and say to myself, ‘Where’s my man gone?’”

Comedian Billy Birmingham included Eastlake in his popular 12th Man projects in which he would impersonate famous identities including the Channel 9 cricket commentary team.

Eastlake started his working life as a baggage handler at Qantas, then ran a surf shop before entering the media.

Eastlake retired in 2005.
Far out. What a shit way to go. He’s in a better place now. Grew up listening to his contagious style. What a legend. RIP Darrell

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Far out. What a shit way to go. He’s in a better place now. Grew up listening to his contagious style. What a legend. RIP Darrell
Shit disease!! Am going through it at the moment with my old man. Makes them so sad and lonely.
Is so much in a better place now. RIP

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rip. awful thing. Thoughts with his family and loved ones

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
RIP :(

Can't say I knew much of him, probably was in his prime before my time, but sad nonetheless. Was an icon to our game commentary.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was a good guy.....commentated for our old backyard wrestling federation when the media did a story about it many years ago. Mucking around and trading suplexes while Darryl Eastlake commentated will always be one of my weirdest and coolest memories.

He had a one of a kind voice and was a jovial and generous guy....RIP

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I loved his weightlifting commentary the best.

RIP big fella

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tony Grieg, Richie Benaud, and now Darryl Eastlake....

Ch9s old school sporting commentators that I grew up to are slowly passing away :(

Condolences to the family and friends.
And they all had unique voices and commentary style. The voices of my childhood with sports growing up.

Also loved when ever Eastlake would say "Crunching tackle"

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seven years ago was when this was first reported :upset:...loved his commentary and that big booming voice...

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/big-darrell-eastlake-fight-life

Sunday 17 April, 2011

Last night, Channel Nine ran a story on Darrell Eastlake who has been battling Alzheimer’s disease and emphysema for the past year. Sadly, the disease has taken a toll on the big man and his even bigger booming voice. The prognosis is not good. Although Darrell’s situation is well known to many, the Nine story, which, understandably, concentrated on his television career, prompted us to revisit his earlier (and later) career in Radio.

In the late 1960’s Darrell Eastlake was a surfboard maker when he pioneered Surf Reports on Sydney’s 2UW, now Mix 106.5 FM.

He was soon began working full time for 4GG, now GOLD FM on, the Gold Coast. Over the next seven years in Surfers Paradise he not only co-ordinated and reported the surfwatch, he started the Gold Coast Rugby League Show.

In 1974, Darrell and his family moved back to the Central Coast, north of Sydney to join Radio 2GO Gosford, now 107.7 2GO FM. Over the following six years, he gained further experience by calling football live. In 1980 and 1981 won two National Radio Awards for Best Sporting Personality in Australia and New Zealand.

Having retired from TV and other main media, in 2004, he came out of retirement to do sports reports on breakfast Mondays and Fridays on the Central Coast’s Star 104.5 FM.

An in-depth report on Darrell’s condition in The Telegraph in July last year suggested that Darrell had been abandoned by many of his old mates, which if true, is an absolute abomination for a man who made a giant contribution to the Radio industry.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/big-darrell-eastlake-fight-life © Radioinfo.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.