News Better than another loss, but Bulldogs fans should not get crazy

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Webby / Roar Rookie
Yesterday

So the Bulldogs crack a win and everything is coming up Milhouse.

While I was ecstatic with the Dogs scratching out a victory over a lacklustre Cronulla, the cold reality is Canterbury were lucky to fall over the line.

The Sharks bombed at least five try scoring opportunities and the Bulldogs’ inability to count numbers and slide in defefnce is a concern, with the Sharks being able to strip defenders numerous times.

A clinical side such as the Storm would not forgive such mistakes.

Cronulla have been playing as an unhappy side since the axing of John Morris, so this performance is probably not surprising. With reported player unrest and signing movements for 2022 happening in the near-term, Josh Hannay has an unenviable job to get the team back to winning.

With the Bulldogs having got through the first five weeks of the competition with zero wins, the last two games have given a better indication of the team’s standing.

Trent Barrett’s side were competitive for the first half in Townsville against the Cowboys before dropping their performance after the break. Following Jack Hetherington’s send off the team actually played better, were somewhat unlucky to snag a draw (and golden point) late, and continued that performance for the first half the following week, scoring three tries without reply.

The Dogs held on as their opponents came back, showing some grit that was common during the Dean Pay era but had been lacking this year.

Having played both grand finalists and a preliminary finalist in the first five weeks made for probably the toughest draw in the competition. The old enemy, Parramatta, awaits this week. Bulldogs-Eels games are usually close so hopefully the Dogs can stick it to them and continue to improve.

The debut of Jackson Topine and the brief return of Matt Doorey in the last few weeks has shown fans a glimmer of things to come. The missed signing of Brendan Piakura was disappointing but the club locked in a few of their junior players for the future.

It wouldn’t be a Bulldogs article without some signing speculation though.

The fanciful story of recruiting Jason Taumalolo aside, the possible signings of Brent Naden, Kurt Capewell and Toby Rudolf for 2022 give supporters real hope. If Barrett finds a quality hooker, things may be on the up. Having watched Brad Deitz in NSW Cup, I expect him to get an extended run in first grade at some time during the season. Hopefully the injury Deitz sustained late on Saturday is not too serious.

Dale Finucane would be a quality signing, fulfilling a role similar to Ben Kennedy at Manly, showing a young squad what is required as a first-grade footballer. Whether Finucane has the desire to return to the club is another question but he would bring hard-edged competitiveness back to the team.

After their first win of the season, Bulldogs supporters such as myself have been smiling this week. Now to back it up with a quality performance against the Eels.

Last edited:

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Katoa rushing in was the main defensive issue for mind, but this week he is on fergos wing and the eels never go there so we should be sweet. Cotric on Sivo should be a good match up.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with the post (probably shouldn't of beat the Sharks), whoever wrote it, but you have to also give us some credit too. The effort and defence was superb, especially in the last 50 minutes. There is a reason why Barrett's put this win down as his best ever (courageous victory). The start to get to a 18 point lead was also quite good for us. I'm not expecting this to kick start our season or anything, I still think we're one of the worst teams in the NRL.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More of this. I don't know that anyone would deny that we needed luck in that win, in fact many of us were saying we would need some luck to get our first win.

But we got a win! Yeah the 2nd half wasn't as good as the first, yeah we made errors, but we got a win! Would people prefer we went winless until we play a perfect game? We'd be waiting forever in that case.

And the increased effort from the players is beyond a doubt. That is worth being positive about. Only a few weeks ago they turned in one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a Bulldogs team, against the Bonks.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Although I agree that the Sharks played badly I do think our team played well especially in defence which has been lacking this year

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is an article ok roar classified as NEWS.
‘that’s just a rah rah forum that has no clue

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
By Webby / Roar Rookie
Yesterday
Ah ok so a no one. Look I can understand it’s tough for these young journalists to crack through these days unless they are good looking young chick but fuck that’s so negative.
He must be trying to sound like Paul **** that sooky little bitch.

No one here is trying to book grand final tickets but a tough win after years of hell deserves some credit and positivity

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I could write an article for the roar saying the exact opposite and post it here tonight, don’t get so wound up over an amateur article taking itself too seriously

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could write an article for the roar saying the exact opposite and post it here tonight, don’t get so wound up over an amateur article taking itself too seriously
we had that very conversation on the kennel a couple days back, down to the blown chances for the Sharks... that "article" is simply a regurgitation of what was already on here

Last edited: