Best of 3 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats your opinion of it for the Grand Final?

Ricky Stuart brought it up after having a cry of losing 2 consecutive Grand Finals at the Roosters. I brushed it off thinking he was just a sore loser.

But on a serious note - would it be a good idea?

Or are there enough games as it is?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats one arguement.

But then you take into account injuries etc for players. I think its very similiar to the changing of the point systems.

Players have the chance to play more games - just like how players have more points tallied up

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol, even if they had the GF as a best of 3 Ricky, you still have to make the GF in the first place

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
i'm inclined to say no, because 50% of the time the same team would win the first two matches, so the third would be a dead rubber. not exactly what you want to end the season with.

i see the logic of not wanting the premiership to be decided by a single 80 minutes, but we shouldn't be seeking absolute fairness at the expense of excitement. the season needs a climax, which is why we bother with the finals at all instead of giving the premiership to whoever comes top of the ladder, and i think holding a grand final series would just dilute it.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
i'm inclined to say no, because 50% of the time the same team would win the first two matches, so the third would be a dead rubber. not exactly what you want to end the season with.
Just don't play the 3rd one then. The second game would be just as intense because one team could win it right there and one team is fighting to survive. And if they do, then its an exciting decider, kind of like S.O.O

Its an interesting idea, but there is already enough games. And the quality of the play might go down in the last 2 games. I mean if a team plays every final game to get to the series, then has to play 3 more games. Plus injuries etc.

Theres so many arguments against it really.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
if ur sayin best of 3 to allow for injuries y not best of 3 every games injuires sin bin send off all part of the game deal with it

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
I would say no. One game is enough. It's a long season, whoever comes up trumps on the day deserves to be premiers. There should be no second chances.

IF you play three games for the GF, how about the other games during the finals series? Would they be held as solidarity games or a three game series?

Also, IF it was a three game series, using Cameron Smith as an example, IF he was to be suspended, he would be able to come back and play in game 2, which should be a disadvantage to Smith's team but instead imo be a boost to the Storm.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm against it. It's the best on the day. The State of origin is a 'series'. Plus the top line players complain about player burnout, playing another 2 (possibly) Grand finals with so much intensity wouldn't work.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
hell no

sports like both codes of rugby, gridiron, afl etc are gruelling on the body, namely from the contact nature of it.

only thing league needs is to adopt the afl finals system to reward sides who made the top 4 after 26 rds of footy with a double chance and 1 home final at least.

mcintyre sucks horses balls

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny thing is LA

The AFL system is also called the Mcintyre system.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
best team wins on the day.

they play enough games per season as it is

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wat bout the drawn replay days lol. fuk imagine going throught 80 mins and then having to come back next week lol to go throught it all ova again :p

the replays were duds, like sequels 2 movies lol. not the same

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just did that in NRL 2. Was playing at my mates house (first time in ages) got to the Franchise GF and after GP the clock counted up (ala AUS V NZ 2006 TNF). **** was crazy.

I hate Golden point in finals footy. Heart attack on a plate. Feel sorry for any team who has to experience that ( except the roosters)

Status
Not open for further replies.