Best 5 coaches of our club all time ranked?

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I was going to say same ..

But the crap just keeps rolling out, so I’ve just put it on ignore,

He’d be one to experience that awkward moment of a zombie walking right past him looking for brains ..
Please.
You’re just throwing a tantrum because I blew out of the water your ‘they were all local juniors’ theory.
And don’t call me a troll when you’re the one constantly condescending and talkign down and saying things like ‘let me school you kid’.

man’s not to mention how 4 months ago you stole my thread and pretended it was from you. I’ll never forget that as long as I live.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idiots denying Haslers coaching success 2012 and 2014 being actual idiots.

2012 took us from bottom 8 to untouched minor premiers and GF in one season.

2014 took us from outside top 4 finals berth to GF.

Yeah "shit coach" lol ok.

Haslers downfall was his lack of junior development and lack of adaptation to how the game evolved. Doesnt mean he wasnt a good coach.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That we never had a chance in and basically lost after the opening whistle due to nose whistlers outdated tactics
Please.
Hasler was known as an innovation coach.
There was many an article about how he brought sport science and deeper analysis to the game via technology.
Hence his nickname ‘the mad professor’

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Please.
Hasler was known as an innovation coach.
There was many an article about how he brought sport science and deeper analysis to the game via technology.
Hence his nickname ‘the mad professor’
He was also so pig headed and devoid of ideas by the end of his tenure he decided to play chase Stanley at half back against the broncos and we were pounded harder than chick in a John Holmes film.

Once the nrl outlawed the decoy runner play, hasler had nothing

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please.
You’re just throwing a tantrum because I blew out of the water your ‘they were all local juniors’ theory.
And don’t call me a troll when you’re the one constantly condescending and talkign down and saying things like ‘let me school you kid’.

man’s not to mention how 4 months ago you stole my thread and pretended it was from you. I’ll never forget that as long as I live.
I think he’s blocked you champ.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler in 2012 and 14 was some of the most exciting footy in this day an age that’s for sure. Came with a lot of shit in the end, but was still amazing to watch with barba an co. Point scoring an attack was easy !!

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haslers downfall was his lack of junior development and lack of adaptation to how the game evolved. Doesnt mean he wasnt a good coach.
But did he win one?...... That's the true mark of a great coach.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus Hasler's downfall was a lack of a "Plan B"

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is quite obvious that a lot of you are too young to have witnessed the Bulldogs circa 1970's, 80's and first half of the 90's.. absolute joy to watch and support.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We haven’t actually had that many coaches until recently when we started swapping alot.

In my opinion this is our top coaches:

1. warren Ryan.
He did some Amazing things with an ovberrated swuaf and won a few titles. 60% win rate
2. Des Hasler
2x grand finals at 56% win rate says it all. Some question marks on recruitment but boi, he could coach.
3. Phil Gould
Short stint but did a mad premiership. Also kicked on elsewhere to be considered one of the premier coaches of all time so you know it was no fluke.
4. Chris Anderson
A few titles. 61% win rate. Questionable strategies but hit the bacon.
5. Steve Folkes
Illegal squad but got us our last premiership.
Illegal lol. We were the ones to get caught for what everyone did.

all but 4 of our GF players played their first game for the dogs. Look at the knights, broncos,roosters and dragons squads from that time. They all had more rep players than us

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ryan
Anderson
Folkes
Gould
Glossop

Des erased all his good work. He will go down as probably our worst. He’s to blame for yen last 6 years

kamaryn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

If Hasler had won those 2 grand finals, we would have been talking about it as a golden era and hailing him as one of our best. But he ultimately won nothing, and not only left us with a lack of junior development but (along with Raelene) crippled us with back ended contracts that only now are we getting over. His big gamble didn't pay off and that's ultimately how most of us will judge him.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree with Glossop, Ryan, Gould, Folkes, then praying and hoping for Ciraldo.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des’ heart was always with Manly first, until last year. He may very well get the gig at Saints if they don’t start winning soon Hook will be hooked.

At look least Des got us to 2 Grand Finals but his tenure at the club will never be remembered fondly as he failed to win us a premiership. His back ended deals were the main reason for this and we’re still feeling the long lasting effects of that.

That said he can’t be solely held responsible as board members at the time gave him carte Blanche while they did sweet FA and let their egos turn on one another that made the club at the time very toxic.