News Bennett: No more needles Gregory!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/02/south-sydney-wont-give-greg-inglis-any-more-injections/

South Sydney won't give Inglis any more injections
Michael Chammas Tue 2 Apr 2019, 03:05 PM
South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has told skipper Greg Inglis he will not be able to return from injury if he requires the aid of pain-killing injections to get through matches.

NRL.com understands Bennett is concerned for the long term welfare of his star player and won't allow him to rush back until he is in a position to play without needing medication.

Bennett has told the Queensland skipper he was treating the season as a Melbourne Cup - not a Golden Slipper, concerned about the long-term ramifications for the all-time great.

With the Rabbitohs centre racing the clock to be ready for Saturday's clash against the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval, the club's coaching staff has decided to take extra precaution with the 32-year-old.

Inglis has been dogged by injury in recent years and regularly required injections to get through matches last season.

Unbeknown to Bennett, Inglis was given a needle in the round two game against the Dragons, but has since told the veteran centre he won't be allowing him to do so again.

Inglis is a 50-50 chance of lining up against Manly this weekend, and will need to get through Wednesday's training session before his position in the team is confirmed.

Before the season Inglis announced that he would retire from the NRL at the end of 2020, but concerns over his body has recently raised doubt over his ability to get through the next two years.

The Rabbitohs haven't had a discussion with Inglis that indicates a change of plans to his original retirement date, however, Bennett last week conceded that his days at fullback appear numbered.

"His [Inglis] best football has always been at fullback. But like he's said injury-wise, body, age, it's all taking its toll," Bennett said.

"It wasn't my decision about whether he played fullback or not, it was his decision, because I wanted to make it that way. I wanted to respect what he's done and put him in the position that he was keen to play and thought he'd do his best for us at.

"It's obvious to him and to me that fullback is not going to be his place - we've got a wonderful player in Alex Johnston so there's no real dramas for us there. He's accepted the fact that he will play in the centres and I've accepted that."

If he was a race horse he'd be in the back paddock or on his way to the glue factory by now.

LOL No more needles Greg :D

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/02/south-sydney-wont-give-greg-inglis-any-more-injections/

South Sydney won't give Inglis any more injections
Michael Chammas Tue 2 Apr 2019, 03:05 PM
South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has told skipper Greg Inglis he will not be able to return from injury if he requires the aid of pain-killing injections to get through matches.

NRL.com understands Bennett is concerned for the long term welfare of his star player and won't allow him to rush back until he is in a position to play without needing medication.

Bennett has told the Queensland skipper he was treating the season as a Melbourne Cup - not a Golden Slipper, concerned about the long-term ramifications for the all-time great.

With the Rabbitohs centre racing the clock to be ready for Saturday's clash against the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval, the club's coaching staff has decided to take extra precaution with the 32-year-old.

Inglis has been dogged by injury in recent years and regularly required injections to get through matches last season.

Unbeknown to Bennett, Inglis was given a needle in the round two game against the Dragons, but has since told the veteran centre he won't be allowing him to do so again.

Inglis is a 50-50 chance of lining up against Manly this weekend, and will need to get through Wednesday's training session before his position in the team is confirmed.

Before the season Inglis announced that he would retire from the NRL at the end of 2020, but concerns over his body has recently raised doubt over his ability to get through the next two years.

The Rabbitohs haven't had a discussion with Inglis that indicates a change of plans to his original retirement date, however, Bennett last week conceded that his days at fullback appear numbered.

"His [Inglis] best football has always been at fullback. But like he's said injury-wise, body, age, it's all taking its toll," Bennett said.

"It wasn't my decision about whether he played fullback or not, it was his decision, because I wanted to make it that way. I wanted to respect what he's done and put him in the position that he was keen to play and thought he'd do his best for us at.

"It's obvious to him and to me that fullback is not going to be his place - we've got a wonderful player in Alex Johnston so there's no real dramas for us there. He's accepted the fact that he will play in the centres and I've accepted that."

If he was a race horse he'd be in the back paddock or on his way to the glue factory by now.

LOL No more needles Greg :D
It's ok. He's going to play dosed up on booze.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He should just retire.
He had the chance to retire last year but didn’t cause slater and JT had all the spot light.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bennett: no more bashing women and drink driving, Gregory.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bennett: no more bashing women and drink driving, Gregory.
That’s just culturally insensitive. You can’t take those things away from him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He should just retire. He had the chance to retire last year but didn’t cause slater and JT had all the spot light.
Cronk has the spotlight this year doesn't he?.

He's a worse signing than Steve Matai and Brett Stewart, when Manly thought they could play on any longer.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He should just retire.
He had the chance to retire last year but didn’t cause slater and JT had all the spot light.
If he wants the spotlight one of you can hold it. I'll grab the rifle.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think that Gregory is on the way out........The following article seems totalling aimed at making excuses for his "non existent" weight problem. I know that the camera can add pounds to a person but I am sure that he is carrying a bit of extra weight...

Greg Inglis says criticism of his weight took a toll, as South Sydney star calls out 'fat shaming'
Updated 21 Mar 2019, 11:18am

Greg Inglis has taken aim at those who he says have fat shamed him over his weight, while revealing he played the 2018 NRL season with a shoulder injury and a bulging disc in his neck that required surgery.

Key points:
  • NRL star Greg Inglis said criticism of his weight had been upsetting
  • Inglis had a series of off-field issues in 2018, including a drink-driving charge that cost him the Kangaroos captaincy
  • He has admitted playing through several hidden injuries last season, including a bulging disc in his neck

The South Sydney star had his fitness continuously questioned over this preseason, prompting criticism of his weight and concerns over his form heading into the opening rounds.

Inglis said he finished last season at 98 kilograms, well under his usual playing weight.

He had not been at last year's weight since his early days at the Melbourne Storm well over a decade ago.

But he said claims he was well overweight earlier this year got to him after a summer in which he had also battled off-field issues, including a much-publicised drink-driving charge for which he escaped conviction.

Inglis also made the decision to step away from the game at the end of 2020 in a bid to spend more time at home with his grandparents, as well as bowing out of the State of Origin arena in 2019.

"People just don't get their facts right and that's what makes me laugh about it," he told Fox Sports' League Life.

"They say I'm 15, then it goes [to] 18, then 25 kilos overweight — I don't know where it's come from but I came out a couple of weeks ago and just laughed it off.

"It does get you down after a few weeks of people saying I wish I was 15 kilos overweight and looked like you. I was getting that from every second person.

"But at the end of the day I know what's right for me and so does the coach and nutritionist.

"That's all that matters in my world ... it is fat shaming. I don't appreciate it whatsoever."

While thumb and knee injuries were his main issues over the past two years, he said he had also been forced to deal with two other significant injuries since early last year.

"I've been carrying a right shoulder injury that happened in round six or seven [last year]," Inglis said.

"But before that even started, it was the Charity Shield, on the bus ride up I had a bulging disc in my C6 and C7 in the neck. I had a chat with James Graham up there about it.

"No-one knew about it ... there's a scar, but I just said I want to go out and do the best for my team.

"I don't really show any signs of weakness, that's just the character I am. At the end of the day I'm just too stubborn."

The Queensland captain also confirmed he would remain at right centre inside Dane Gagai for the foreseeable future at South Sydney, but he hoped to revisit the discussion on moving back to full-back around Origin time.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Shouldn't all the alcohol in Grog Inglis' system be enough to numb the pain?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Say what you like, but Souths are a different team when GI is on the field... Just one of those players that their general presence on the field boosts the confidence within the group, and second guesses the opposition like we saw with the Rorters.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bennet is the master of moving players on he famously even did it to king wally

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone get the feeling after he retires his life is going to do down the drain?

The guy just seems to have some deep issues but no one seems to care as they remember how good a footballer he once was.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone get the feeling after he retires his life is going to do down the drain?

The guy just seems to have some deep issues but no one seems to care as they remember how good a footballer he once was.
He'll get a token job with souffs and/or channel 9 and they'll keep enabling him and make excuses for him. And he's always got a reference handy if he ever needs one if/when he fucks up, again.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His body is past it, seems a little out of shape, must be all getting a little too much for Inglis. Has had a long career, might be that time bud..!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of the best players ever to play the game tbh

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He'll get a token job with souffs and/or channel 9 and they'll keep enabling him and make excuses for him. And he's always got a reference handy if he ever needs one if/when he fucks up, again.
He will end up in Redfern asking for a durrie or dolla, brah