Benji Marshall

DogSince67

40 years a Dog!
Reaction score
How would Dufty go a 5/8 and Burton at half? We are so slow getting the ball from the ruck. Put Cook at Dummy half. It may just be the spark we need. Burton looks like someone who could control a game and play a Cleary role. Im not sure if Dufty has a kicking game and maybe his defence will be suspect there but he could defend on the wing like the small halfbacks do. Put Avo at fullback. Naden on the wing. Centres Im not sure about.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the fox at fullback, dufty to the wing, cook hooker, schop as centre and flanagun at half. That's all we could do the mean time.
I was far from keen to sign Dufty but he has been one of the few positives to start this year. He is the only one that looks dangerous. He stays at fullback for mine. JAC is a winger. A winger that doesn’t get enough early ball. A winger that looks a shadow of himself in our colours. He has been good defensively but not seen with ball in hand. Even when he has had his moments, he is taking the soft options.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How would Dufty go a 5/8 and Burton at half? We are so slow getting the ball from the ruck. Put Cook at Dummy half. It may just be the spark we need. Burton looks like someone who could control a game and play a Cleary role. Im not sure if Dufty has a kicking game and maybe his defence will be suspect there but he could defend on the wing like the small halfbacks do. Put Avo at fullback. Naden on the wing. Centres Im not sure about.
Dufty has been the most consistent out of all our “star” signings, why would you move him?

DogSince67

40 years a Dog!
Reaction score
Dufty has been the most consistent out of all our “star” signings, why would you move him?
Thats true he has. It gets him even closer to any offloads and gets us moving at speed rather than the pedestrian movement we have at the moment. He would be in the game a lot more.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was far from keen to sign Dufty but he has been one of the few positives to start this year. He is the only one that looks dangerous. He stays at fullback for mine. JAC is a winger. A winger that doesn’t get enough early ball. A winger that looks a shadow of himself in our colours. He has been good defensively but not seen with ball in hand. Even when he has had his moments, he is taking the soft options.
Yh i did not want Dufty but he has been our best with ball in hand, still awful in defence though..

Anyway this obsession with constantly wanting to shuffle players into different positions is getting ridiculous, these ideas are out of hand lol. Facts are that the halves pairing we sent out in rounds 1 and 2 is the best halves pairing we could send out within our current system and it's going to take people months to accept that if they're even willing to accept it at all. The big issue is system and roles rather than who's playing where in our current system.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Worth a listen. Starts around the 2 min mark. I think he hits the nail on the head. We all need to chill the fuck out. Interesting point about playing Burton at FB. But again, issue is there for everyone to see. Game managing halfback is what we need to help us unlock Burton.
Yep I been saying it since the Averillo project. Im not opposed to giving Kyle a go. Providing Barrett actually lets him play his natural game and not shelf him after 4:32mins

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep I been saying it since the Averillo project. Im not opposed to giving Kyle a go. Providing Barrett actually lets him play his natural game and not shelf him after 4:32mins
What natural game? Starving the half and fullback of ball because that's exactly whet he did for 9 rounds last season.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yh i did not want Dufty but he has been our best with ball in hand, still awful in defence though..

Anyway this obsession with constantly wanting to shuffle players into different positions is getting ridiculous, these ideas are out of hand lol. Facts are that the halves pairing we sent out in rounds 1 and 2 is the best halves pairing we could send out within our current system and it's going to take people months to accept that if they're even willing to accept it at all. The big issue is system and roles rather than who's playing where in our current system.
It dont matter now.
Now its musical chairs and if he ends up putting Avo back to 7 at some stage it will be confirmation he has wasted this season.
The whole thing is fucked.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC scored 6 tries in 1 game last year. He'd be lucky to score 6 tries this year in this shit show...
He would have scored one if he didn’t dog it on Sunday and not dive low for the line

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listened to Benji earlier, and totally agree. Like he said it was a weird match. Stats were in our favour, but Storm were just clinical and got a few free tries (off our attacking errors).

As they said, it's an anomaly, at least I hope it is. I also agree that we would have scored a few tries on another team. Storm had a ruthless mentality. That being said, I wish Dufty tried like Paps does. Dufty has a lot of the same attributes as Paps. The biggest difference is his enthusiasm and desire to be involved in almost every play. Paps clearly has a very strong winning mentality. One of the things I looked forward to was the opportunities TPJ would offer the likes of Dufty. TPJ has done his part (he was our shining light in that loss) but Dufty hasn't. TPJ has been offloading like crazy, all for nothing. I can't remember much coming from one of his offloads. This is where Dufty and others need to be better. Thankfully we've signed one of the best support players in Mahoney, because currently, our support play stinks, especially through the middle. I knew Benji wouldn't mention that though.

I don't agree with Benji about moving Burton to fullback. I mean it could work. Iirc he's had some experience in that role, and these days a lot of fullbacks are more ball players and kickers, but does he have the pace or stamina? Doubtful. When Hughes made that break after we coughed up the ball, I noticed Burton was buggered and was just jogging back. That is one thing you can't fault Dufty on. There's been a few situations like that this season and he's usually chasing hard, to try and stop them scoring. If we moved Burton, what then with Dufty? Play him at 6? He'd get trampled.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add, that it's clear to me what our problem is, and another thing Benji mentioned. We have no proper 7! It has nothing to do with how they play either. It's the lack of direction and talk on field that is our main problem in attack. Burton to me is NOT a general type. He offers individual skill, can read the defence well, and has good footy nous, but he's not going to direct the team around. At least not at this stage. He just doesn't have the personality for it. Wakeham and Averillo has proven they don't either. Which leaves us with one option... K Y L E. Or see if we can get someone like Pearce. I know he's past it and playing in France, but we need an experienced proper halfback to tell these ***** what to do!

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your one creative player on the wing? Massive lol.

To play the fox at FB, you move Dufty to 5/8, Burton to half
Whatever the move is brother, as long as we get fox more involved. We'll see how we go this week though, apparently Flanagan is coming back