Benji Marshall

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brookes won dally m
Half of the year with him Benji playing along side him. Some would say your argument is totally incorrect
He had 1 good year in 2018 with Benji. Then he has had 3 horrible years. 2 of those with Benji by his side.

I can’t think of any halves he helped at Saints or Brisbane ???

There is no proof whatsoever Benji is a good mentor to younger halves.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hes having a good season but in his career i dont think consistency is his strong point. He can do some great plays and then he can also do silly things that you dont expect to see from someone whos been playing nrl for so long. Dont think this would benefit the development of young players.

Theres also a chance that he might take a spot and opportunity away from some young players to get more nrl experience. Someone like bbo or avo. A band aid solution imo.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould said he has an announcement to make, maybe it might be Benji signing on for a year as he always said he wanted to play with his bro? Would be good on min. wage and to help guide Burton in the halves and give Avo a go somewhere in the outside backs possible center or FB? Benji did say last night on 360 everyone is retiring him except himself ... so who knows, Gould has always said we need an experienced half to play and Benji fits this bill well!

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Phil Gould said he has an announcement to make, maybe it might be Benji signing on for a year as he always said he wanted to play with his bro? Would be good on min. wage and to help guide Burton in the halves and give Avo a go somewhere in the outside backs possible center or FB? Benji did say last night on 360 everyone is retiring him except himself ... so who knows, Gould has always said we need an experienced half to play and Benji fits this bill well!
me thinks you are right there brother, benji was linked to us last year and was all but confirmed until someone on the board stuffed up

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Benji will retire after winning on Sunday. Wants to win a premiership that's it right now. He has done everything plus nowadays he can't last 80 minutes every week.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not Benji as a 14? Same role as Souths. Can be injected if we are directionless, only having to play limited minutes. A perfect fit.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thee we dogs wanted and spoke to him. He choose souths as he knew they had a chance of winning the title. End of story
No. You obviously didn't hear the story straight from the horses mouth...Bennett. To paraphrase....I was on the golf course when I got a call from Benji. He told me the deal to play with his brother had fallen over. But he didn't want to retire or go to England...and he was prepared to play on minimum money. So I offered him there and then an undertaking....Come and play with Souths and I guarantee you the No 14 jersey every week.
I understand that Barrett didn't want him and had convinced the CEO that he was going to be able to pry Burton away from Penrith early in the year...so we didn't need Benji.
Proving yet again that recruitment is best left to the recruitment committee and coaches unfounded promises about being able to secure certain players in certain timeframes should be taken with a grain of salt.