Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Benji Marshall to re-sign until the end of 2015

The NRL will be given an almost perfect pre-season gift tomorrow with Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall to sign a lifetime deal with the club.

Marshall, the New Zealand captain, has agreed to a deal which will keep him at the club for six more seasons.
It is almost certain an announcement will be made tomorrow. The club has scheduled a press conference at Taronga Zoo for tomorrow afternoon, one Marshall is due to attend.

Marshall had been contracted until the end of 2011, but the extension will now see him in Tigers colours until the end of 2015. That will take him to the age of 30, which means the likelihood is that the 24-year-old will be a Tiger for life.
Marshall was secured by the club as a 16-year-old through the Tigers’ partnership with Keebra Park High School on the Gold Coast. He made his first-grade debut in 2003, at 18, and led the club to its first premiership in 2005.

The signing would be a massive boost for the Tigers, who recently secured the services of dual international Lote Tuqiri for the next three seasons.

It would also be a significant boost for the NRL, after the well-documented off-field problems last season. Marshall was one of the best players in the competition towards the backend of last season, along with Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne, who has coincidently also resigned recently with his club long term, until the end of 2013.

Having those two players on NRL books for so long is a shot in the arm for a code which is bracing for a new threat of an AFL club in western Sydney. The two most popular players in the region have now been locked up for a significant period.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/benji-a-tiger-for-life-20100224-p3az.html

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
who else would be willing to pay overs for this little bumgrub?

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahaaha as if he'll last another 6 seasons. His shoulders will have become dust by then

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lmao thats hilarious! marshall is one of the most over rated players of all time

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This will be a decision I'm pretty sure he's gonna regret.

He won't know where he will be in 2 or 3 years, let alone 6 - both mentally and physically. To make such a commitment is nothing short of stupid.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahaaha as if he'll last another 6 seasons. His shoulders will have become dust by then
LOL if Frank Puletua can bust your shoulder, you dont have much hope !!

League Freak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think its fantastic news.

He is one of the best players in the game, a true game breaker and on top of that he is one of the most marketable stars in the sport.

Its fantastic that he will play out his career with the Tigers. A Premiership winner, a World Cup winners.....wish I was half as bad!

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Theres only 1 true lifer I know.

Thats Hazem El Masri.

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I saw him at an open house last night. The real estate agent said it was the second time he saw him. House was worth $1.4Mil

Benji,Moltzen & Tuiaki were there. Tuiaki has his ankle strapped if any one cares

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Theres only 1 true lifer I know.

Thats Hazem El Masri.
Andrew Johns, Heather Lockeyar, Mal Meniga, Andrew Ettinghausen, Steve Mortimer etc, etc etc. Oh wait...

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he is injury prone so will his body hold out for another 6 years?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This will be a decision I'm pretty sure he's gonna regret.

He won't know where he will be in 2 or 3 years, let alone 6 - both mentally and physically. To make such a commitment is nothing short of stupid.
This.

He is only 24, who knows what will happen in the future. Another super league episode may occur or the salary cap may be doubled, we just don't know.

However I'm sure his manager isn't a complete muppet and there are a variety of get out clauses should certain things fail.

Marshall is probably the biggest ego in league at the moment.

S

Squiz Ninja

What a lot of people dont think about is the money he generates the club in terms of merchandise sales and sponsorships and club media exposure etc makes him a very valuable asset, the kiddies love him, the media loves him and that drives sales and brings in the sponsors $$$$$$.

His value off the field makes the signing more than worth it, even if he does stuff-all on the field.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can just about guarantee you that there is a clause stipulating that if Tim Sheens is no longer at the WT - that he can walk.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent news for the Tigers and League.

Loyalty in League has become a joke, its good to see stuff like this.

But also makes you think how much he is on, and what will happen if the salary cap jumps up.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
there is probably a clause in his contract stating if there is that expected increase from 4.2 to 6 million, then he will also get an increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.