Benefit of the doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
This rule should go...

I am getting frustrated with this situation of the video referee using this to escape making a decision.

the are only ruling it can be Benefit of the doubt is applied when the try is visible but it's 50/50 whether the ball was planted or the player was in touch or whether the player has knocked it on

This shouldnt be the case. if the attacking player has deemed to make an error while scoring a try the try should not be awarded but it seems the players are allowed to make a little error and get away with it because of this BOTD rule

e.g. Vuna clearly knocked the ball on in which ever angle you look at it...

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid rule. It could work the other way too. Why isn't it benefit of the doubt to the defensive side?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
theres no benifit of the doubt, it comes down to a single person making their own decision, based on what the see or how they inturpret the rules of the game .... remembering different refs see the rules very differently

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever happened to body language reading?

Vuna was very lack-lustre in his post try celebration - and BOTH teams were preparing for a scrum.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
same thing happened in the dragons game

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vuna was very lack-lustre in his post try celebration - and BOTH teams were preparing for a scrum.
You'd think common sense would prevail in that instance but no..

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
This rule is absolute crap. They look for any reason to give a try even if they have clearly knocked it on. But its not just Dogs games that they are terrible. I think all fans feel the same.

Spot

Waterboy
Reaction score
Double standards, If the ball hadn't been placed over the line, we would have come back for a scrum because of the obvious knock forward.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vuna was actually shaking his head when the other team mates came up to him..... he knew
he hadn't scored.......

Was the same ground last year when Idris scored a fair try, only to be disallowed by the
farkwit upstairs.....

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that the NRL sit down in the off-season and take a good hard look at themselves.

The quality of the matches in the NRL have basically gone to ****. Partially due to the fact that referees can change a game and in turn the entire competition

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Another reason why the BOTD should go...

Slater held up Merritt in goal and the video ref award souFFS a try with BOTD. That was never a try and slater did well to hold him up in goal

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
the double movement rule should be looked at also imo

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I can live with Merritt being given BOD today.

Not sure how the **** they gave farah a try today when fifita lost it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Merritts try today was a joke. One angle clearly showed he was short and then held up in goal, another angle wasn't conclusive but it was quite obvious after heaps of angles that it shouldnt have been a try. Seems like u jus have to get near the in goal area now and they'll give you a try.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Merritts try today was a joke. One angle clearly showed he was short and then held up in goal, another angle wasn't conclusive but it was quite obvious after heaps of angles that it shouldnt have been a try. Seems like u jus have to get near the in goal area now and they'll give you a try.
thats my point i made in my OP...

you are allowed to do little mistakes and you can get away with the little things like the merritt try and be awarded a BOTD.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
so harrigan deems that gasnier forced the ball with his forearm and gives them a benefit of the doubt

Cobalt-60

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There are worse rules in the game atm. I'm actually in favour of any rule that allows more tries, but I think if the vid-ref is leaning towards benefit of the doubt, he should let the on-field ref decide. He would have a better feel for the moment than some bloke watching the incident fifty times in super slow-mo on a tiny screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.