Bench just the start for Frawley

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/bench-just-the-start-for-frawley/tabid/10874/newsid/105472/default.aspx

Matt Frawley says his current goal is to cement a spot on Canterbury's bench, but if he continues to produce the sort of football we've seen from him over the past fortnight, Bulldogs coach Des Hasler might be forced to find a spot for him somewhere in the run-on side.

The 22-year-old made his NRL debut last week as cover for the suspended Moses Mbye and manufactured a crucial win for the Bulldogs through his kicking game.

His form against the Broncos was good enough to earn him a spot on the bench on Friday night against Newcastle, with Frawley thrust into the game midway through the first half after fullback Brad Abbey (head knock) was taken from the field.

The reshuffle saw Frawley come on at halfback, pushing Mbye to centre and Brett Morris to fullback, with Canterbury piling on five tries with that formation.

Frawley played a key role in his side's 22-12 win, scoring a sizzling solo try one minute into the second half before he turned provider to set up Josh Morris with a perfectly thrown cut-out pass.

"I'm just trying to enjoy the moment and not get carried away," Frawley said after the game.

"It's only been two games – everyone's been pretty quick to judge – but it's only been two games so I've got to remain focused and try to enjoy it.

"I didn't really know what was going on [with the game plan tonight]. I just had to be prepared to come on in the 50th minute, 60th minute or whenever it was.

"I feel comfortable in the team. The boys are awesome. We've got a simple structure and I've just got to do my role. I was a little bit filthy on myself for a couple of options that I took so it's something to work on."

Frawley – who spent a bit of time at hooker while playing NYC for the Raiders – said moving back to dummy-half wasn't something he was likely to do at the Bulldogs, with his long-term goal nailing down a spot in the starting side in the halves.

"My first goal for me is just to cement that bench spot. If I can cement that bench spot then I'd be stoked. That's the number one goal for me and we'll see where that takes me," he said.

"Everyone wants to be in the starting team so I'd probably want to eventually start in the team. To do that, I've got to nail this bench role."

Having endured relentless rainfall in Sydney over the past month, Frawley took full advantage of the dry track to play some footy, highlighted by his solo try early in the second half.

"I was on the treadmill," he joked.

"I felt like I'd gone 100 but I probably only ran about 20 metres. I saw Moses on my outside and I sort of just backed myself, but if there was another five metres to go then I'd probably have been mowed down. I was glad when I got over."

Bulldogs skipper James Graham praised the rookie for his stellar start to life as a first-grader.

"That try just out of half-time was sensational," Graham said. "He organised us around the park really, really well. It's crazy to think it's only his second game tonight."

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If he doesn't start for the rest of the season we wil struggle to win a match.........but des will keep doing the same stupid shit because he's des

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I get the feeling that the next few weeks we'll be down by 30 with 20 minutes left then Frawley will come on and be criticised for not saving the game

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was going to come on and replace lichaa

Reactions: DT

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
he is only 22 wow just wow shamwow

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des is fucking retarded seriously

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can understand where Flamboyant is coming from. The are maybe 15-20 people who constantly criticise every decision the club makes and for those of us who just want to support the team by being supportive rather than critical it's not fun seeing the same shit dished up in every thread by multiple people. Six or eight of my favourite posters don't contribute here anymore because of the constant negative crap dished up and at least once per week I tell myself it's not worth bothering with these forums anymore either.

Now I recall about 4 people praising Frawleys contribution in preseason fixtures. None of them are in here right now bagging the crap out of anyone. I therefore deny anyone in here the right to call themselves a better judge than Hasler since all those bashing him have decided only in the last two weeks that Frawley is the solution. A decision that Hasler made the call on (admittedly when Mbye was forced out). Our club had never rushed players in. Here is a list of current players who were bought in gradually.

Klemmer
Mbye
Jackson
Kasiano
Elliot (still being blooded really but starting to pay dividends)

Of that list Jackson and Elliott would have been placed on the not needed list by some of the kennel super coaches. Jackson is a fucking beast, be thankful the club didn't listen to you bitches two years ago or more you'd be whining that we let an origin player go. Some people wanted Lachlan Burr to replace him. Where is Burr these days.

Complain as you want to but at the end of the day I can't really respect any bulldog fan that has to attack a fellow fan for sticking up for the club.

I personally want Frawley as our starting 7 with Reynolds at 6. This treks me that Frawley isn't going to feel like he's been handed the jumper. He's thing to have to keep earning it which I think isn't a bad thing.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can understand where Flamboyant is coming from. The are maybe 15-20 people who constantly criticise every decision the club makes and for those of us who just want to support the team by being supportive rather than critical it's not fun seeing the same shit dished up in every thread by multiple people. Six or eight of my favourite posters don't contribute here anymore because of the constant negative crap dished up and at least once per week I tell myself it's not worth bothering with these forums anymore either.

Now I recall about 4 people praising Frawleys contribution in preseason fixtures. None of them are in here right now bagging the crap out of anyone. I therefore deny anyone in here the right to call themselves a better judge than Hasler since all those bashing him have decided only in the last two weeks that Frawley is the solution. A decision that Hasler made the call on (admittedly when Mbye was forced out). Our club had never rushed players in. Here is a list of current players who were bought in gradually.

Klemmer
Mbye
Jackson
Kasiano
Elliot (still being blooded really but starting to pay dividends)

Of that list Jackson and Elliott would have been placed on the not needed list by some of the kennel super coaches. Jackson is a fucking beast, be thankful the club didn't listen to you bitches two years ago or more you'd be whining that we let an origin player go. Some people wanted Lachlan Burr to replace him. Where is Burr these days.

Complain as you want to but at the end of the day I can't really respect any bulldog fan that has to attack a fellow fan for sticking up for the club.

I personally want Frawley as our starting 7 with Reynolds at 6. This treks me that Frawley isn't going to feel like he's been handed the jumper. He's thing to have to keep earning it which I think isn't a bad thing.
But on the flip side to that des rewards players that deserve a stint in nsw cup ,trex is the perfect example among many ,the issue most people have with des is his stubbornness and with him constantly picking a player that shouldn't be there ,there are no consequences and with no consequences that breeds mediocrity.To say that people who aren't happy that speak up aren't real fans is rubbish ,being real doesn't show a lack of loyalty it's like a good mate that tells a good freind what they need to hear not what they want to hear.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But on the flip side to that des rewards players that deserve a stint in nsw cup ,trex is the perfect example among many ,the issue most people have with des is his stubbornness and with him constantly picking a player that shouldn't be there ,there are no consequences and with no consequences that breeds mediocrity.To say that people who aren't happy that speak up aren't real fans is rubbish ,being real doesn't show a lack of loyalty it's like a good mate that tells a good freind what they need to hear not what they want to hear.
My issue is that people aren't saying that whingers aren't real fans. It's the whingers themselves taking that jump in logic so they can pick fights. I had somebody tell me off for saying they'd have to deal with des being re-signed a couple of days ago, claiming I was telling them how they had to support the club. Truth is they're having to deal with it if they didn't opt for suicide. We'll all have to deal with Frawley being bought in at Haslers chosen pace as well. If that's in 20 minute stints at the end of games it will annoy me too, just like seeing Williams play 80 minutes of zero impact football did while it was happening. Complaining about it for four years didn't do a whole lot to change that situation either.

It would just be nice if every thread didn't have the same small group of posters making the same posts.

This thread should have a congratulations to Frawley on making the side again when Hasler generally doesn't run a bench utility kind of vibe, acknowledging that he's got a mature attitude and wishing him well kind of thing. But once again it's another bag Hasler thread. Does it need to be the overriding theme in EVERY FUCKING THREAD?

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few days ago i was all set to go for broke to get Cronk on board but having seen a few things over the past 24-48 hours including Frawleys wonderful game on friday and Forans name pop back up i am having second thoughts.
To fit in with salary cap and future wins for the club i now hope (and I appreciate it wont be overly popular with some) that Frawley becomes the long term half and Foran is the other half.
I wont be upset if Cronk spends a few year with us either but Foran whilst having had a few 'dark years' is a bloody gun footballer without any doubt and i have felt would play for us for sometime, just a stupid feeling i guess and a want, he is a guy who always wants to win (on the field anyway).
Frawley looks so solid so far anyway and calm, having Foran as well would be amazing.
And personally while i have never been a massive rap on Woods i think he would be a sensation at Canterbury in the mould of Darren Britt...just my feelings i guess.
Hoppa to go, Reynolds looks to have to go as well (and i am a big fan so would be sad) and a few others as well need to be moved on.
As we all know its a business but we also like to win and most of us long term fans expect success, rightly or wrongly.
I am a fan of Abbey so far and think he does look good and just for the fact that he is young and plays 7 days a week i would have him over Hoppa who i have never really warmed to since he joined but i respect that he can play the game (and certainly better than me anyway...haha)

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
. But once again it's another bag Hasler thread. Does it need to be the overriding theme in EVERY FUCKING THREAD?
I think you'll find that once hasler CONSISTENTLY starts making the correct choices people will back off from the criticism

But 2 games where is hands have been forced, you're not gonna get people laying off the criticism

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you'll find that once hasler CONSISTENTLY starts making the correct choices people will back off from the criticism

But 2 games where is hands have been forced, you're not gonna get people laying off the criticism
There has probably been for games where his hand has been forced. Montoya and Abbey both debuted after injury, however we could have forced Rona to remain at the club to be pissed off and uninvolved, we'd possibly have seen B-moz in 1 and Holland over Montoya, Abbey or Lee. I'd guess that our coaching staff are doing a fair job of monitoring the development of players, because I really thought when Hoppa and Holland went down that we were going to see very green replacements. Fact is that even if decisions are forced ones they're probably the best choices regardless of what people at home think.

Anyway I'm sick of having these discussions. I'm at a point again where the kennel is giving me more annoyance than enjoyment. Have fun flinging shit everybody. I'll log back in on Tuesday to check the line-up out. We won and Frawley gave Hasler more good reasons to pick him in a starting role next week. Complain as much as you all fucking want. Hasler going to decide without our input how he brings Frawley into the mix. I'm not going to read 100 posts complaining that he's making the wrong decisions, I'll be enjoying the fact that we had a win rather than getting poised of that a broken record is playing here.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just cleaned up a shitload of posts in this thread.

If you're going to post like children, I'm sure Playschool has a forum.

I'm sure those people know who they are.

NOTE: Some replies got removed only because I couldn't be arsed editing out the shit posts I deleted.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
A few more shit performances from Mbye and he should start

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It took mbye to get susp for Frawley to be given a shot

4 forwards on the bench cost us the win vs rorters

And it took a head knock to abbey for Frawley to come on as early as he did

Don't give me this Des master stroke shit
The footy gods are smiling on him with frawley

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just cleaned up a shitload of posts in this thread.

If you're going to post like children, I'm sure Playschool has a forum.

I'm sure those people know who they are.

NOTE: Some replies got removed only because I couldn't be arsed editing out the shit posts I deleted.
Mr I why the fuk was my original post deleted? Seriously I'm actually pissed off.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took mbye to get susp for Frawley to be given a shot

4 forwards on the bench cost us the win vs rorters

And it took a head knock to abbey for Frawley to come on as early as he did

Don't give me this Des master stroke shit
The footy gods are smiling on him with frawley
AND we'll name the same team on Tuesday and not reward Frawley for his efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.