Ben Barba - 2011 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
General discussion on match form, selection, injuries, contracts, and anything else here.

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the new matty bowen - look out.......just hope he has minimal injuries for 2011

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really hope this kid has improved on his defence for next year!! I can't wait to see him rip up rivals defence

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ben Barba at Fullback

After watched the NRL all stars game i have grave concerns about Benny being fullback.
Attacking wise i have no doubt he will be very good, but having him as the last line of defence i have big worries. especially close to the line.
on two attempts in the all star game he had no chance at stopping both try's from being scored he pretty much was just pushed off the tackle

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if he defuses a try situation from fullback i will be shocked

they should hide him at wing and centre in defence and only let him roam in attack

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
No club should be relying on their FB to stop tries tbh. It's a bonus if a FB stops a try single handedly. If it was an essential part of playing FB you would have a mobile second rower back there to make strong 1 on 1 tackles. He'll be ok once he gets some experience in the position.

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
He did hold up Taylor remember. He'll learn if he gets the chance and I think he'll be ok in the long run. Those tries on the weekend most NRL fullbacks wouldn't have stopped either. I'm more interested to see his positional play than worry about his goal-line defence.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
No club should be relying on their FB to stop tries tbh. It's a bonus if a FB stops a try single handedly. If it was an essential part of playing FB you would have a mobile second rower back there to make strong 1 on 1 tackles. He'll be ok once he gets some experience in the position.
ok but you rely on your fullback to catch a bomb or at least contest a bomb

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said!

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if he defuses a try situation from fullback i will be shocked

they should hide him at wing and centre in defence and only let him roam in attack
Didn't he defuse a try on on sunday? Remember Taylor.

Also, truth be told, Patten had been a turnstyle at fullback in his later years. Don't remember him stopping too many.

Patten's real value was the direction he gave the team from the back.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Didn't he defuse a try on on sunday? Remember Taylor.

Also, truth be told, Patten had been a turnstyle at fullback in his later years. Don't remember him stopping too many.

Patten's real value was the direction he gave the team from the back.
well i remember him getting knocked out trying to stop a try in a match that didnt mean anything

he was sloppy last year but still that level of performance is 3 or 4 times better than barba defensively

has everyone forgot about fullback barba from 2008?, what a nightmare

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
ok but you rely on your fullback to catch a bomb or at least contest a bomb

Of course. Contesting the ball at the back is essential. I don't think I've even seen Barba leap for a bomb yet so I don't think I can pass any kind of judgment on that one.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
well i remember him getting knocked out trying to stop a try in a match that didnt mean anything

he was sloppy last year but still that level of performance is 3 or 4 times better than barba defensively

has everyone forgot about fullback barba from 2008?, what a nightmare
your comparing a younger and leaner Barba from 2008 where he had no pre-season training at fullback, to a much stronger, fitter and mature Barba of 2011 ? 3 years is a long time Roddy.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Of course. Contesting the ball at the back is essential. I don't think I've even seen Barba leap for a bomb yet so I don't think I can pass any kind of judgment on that one.
thats exactly right we haven't seen barba leap for a bomb yet

but he has been bombed to as a fullback before

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
your comparing a younger and leaner Barba from 2008 where he had no pre-season training at fullback, to a much stronger, fitter and mature Barba of 2011 ? 3 years is a long time Roddy.
i hope so ffs, but his regular defence doesnt give me confidence that an improvement has been made

he actually made a huge improvement in 2009 but then that disappeared last year

C

chipandchase

After watched the NRL all stars game i have grave concerns about Benny being fullback.
Attacking wise i have no doubt he will be very good, but having him as the last line of defence i have big worries. especially close to the line.
on two attempts in the all star game he had no chance at stopping both try's from being scored he pretty much was just pushed off the tackle
stupid comment from someone who obviously has no idea. no one and i mean no one in the game can stop uate from 1 metre out.

C

chipandchase

finally barry, someone who knows what they are talking about. Fullbacks arent there for defence. i love Patten, but he was a disgraceful defender. also how many tries in his career did he let in by watching the ball go over the line only for someone to swoop on it ans score. Patten was brilliant around the ball, backed up all game. Barba with experience imo be even better than patten, and barba can also ball play if neccessary.
all these imbosiles who go on about his defence have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.