Belmore Upgrade and Centre of Excellence

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback, really appreciate it. There has been talk that NSW gov was making money available for a centre of excellence at Belmore which sprung the idea. They have had an architect do a survey of the site - read they were looking at a site in Liverpool as well. I actually think the U-Shape as one member suggested would work better - Bankstown council has a parkway and access proposal being around the training fields behind the hill which is why I looked at the option over the railway, still keeping the existing residential and using the land near the rail line which just looks like a bit of a dumping area (from google maps). I am based in Newcastle and have only been to Belmore a couple of times so it was just a concept to start the conversation - a lot that needs to be fixed/ changed/ resolved. Couple of other things raised;

Car park and terminal under ground instead - yep, brilliant idea

Grandstand closer to the field- yep, agree. The reason it was stepped back was to get some light into the walkway under the grandstand shown in the video - this was to do with the Bankstown council proposal as well regarding access and walkways.

Grandstand should be steeper - agree with that as well.

Concept or proposal - yep just a concept. Im only one guy and would need a team to put together a full proposal. Would love it to get out to the right people like Gus as @Sandra's Bollocks asked - I dont have twitter or any contacts - just a Bulldog tragic...... hahahaha.

Thanks again guys, appreciate it. Cheers
All the best with it mate.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
My first thought too. The design of the C of E looks way too big, unless properties were bought. I suppose the design in general is a pipe dream. I'd rather they modernise the old grandstand and build a partial or full one on the eastern side. Proper seating (30 rows maybe) at both ends would suffice.

It'll never happen though. I doubt we'd ever commit to BSG for all matches.
building a grandstand on the hill will lower the ground capacity to about 12k

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kennelers.
I have put together a concept video of proposed updates for Belmore Sports Ground as well as a new Centre of Excellence. It extends over the railway and proposes a new grandstand and a Centre of Excellence with a community hub- high performance sports training and education, aquatic centre, gym, cafe's and childcare (for example).

Video can be found here-

Looking for members feedback (positive or negative - I can take it!) and help to get it out to people who make the decisions - you all seem like a connected bunch to Gus, Khoury etc.. from what I read on the Kennel. Anyway, would love your thoughts on the idea - Go the Doggies.
Love the idea...but I didn't see lakemba mosque on your presentation???

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It looks great and congratulations on all of your work, you are very talented but unfortunately it will never happen in Belmore

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes all very pretty but they won't let you build over the railway for starters and there is also a small pizzling matter of, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
They might, it’s called ‘value capture’ and could help the Government offset costs of converting the existing line to Metro but here’s where it comes unstuck for mine: It would require private money to do it and who’s going to pay for that, the NSW Government look to be backtracking from the suburban ground upgrading (ie: Kogarah) and buying ‘aerial rights’ ie: building over railway would cost a bomb on top of the actual building costs and the Government aren’t going to rob Peter to pay Paul. Plus this design would involve acquiring property on the other side of the railway line and I just don’t see how the costs would stack up.

That said, dreams are free and nice job @Bulldogdoove, cool concept.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They might, it’s called ‘value capture’ and could help the Government offset costs of converting the existing line to Metro but here’s where it comes unstuck for mine: It would require private money to do it and who’s going to pay for that, the NSW Government look to be backtracking from the suburban ground upgrading (ie: Kogarah) and buying ‘aerial rights’ ie: building over railway would cost a bomb on top of the actual building costs and the Government aren’t going to rob Peter to pay Paul. Plus this design would involve acquiring property on the other side of the railway line and I just don’t see how the costs would stack up.

That said, dreams are free and nice job @Bulldogdoove, cool concept.
Like I said very nice but what about the $$$$$$$$$$$

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Also the problem of parking may be solved by excavating and building a multi story underground parking facility before construction above ground.
Yes, except for the costs.
Excavation and underground construction would add untold millions to the cost, so unless you had retail and/or apartments to recoup those costs like the Sharts are trying to do with their ground it very quickly becomes unfeasible commercially.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is feasible to build over the rail line and yes NSW Government wouldn;t shy away from something that gave them more money But 1) The cost of building over the rail line will increase the costs significantly, The line would have to be closed for period during construction so I can't see that getting the go ahead and finally once all said and done the land around the rail line will be still owned by NSW Rail/Government and so the lease costs to use it will likely be prohibitive. The only real way it would happen if someone came in with Billions of dollars to waste and wanted to spend it in Belmore.

Building similar other facilities outside railway corridors would be significantly cheaper. Lets say you want to an engineer because you wanted to extend and put a second storey on your house. He comes back and says because of the foundations and ground he would need to destroy the downstairs house and excavate and develop deeper foundations... The cost of all of this now puts it in the region of purchasing the two story building down the street with the pool. That had a batter layout then you could do with your existing block. If you had the money what do you do?

Yes if you had more money than sense you could do it, but the reason you would want to do it was because of the history you had in the house but now the house is going to look different Any way, will it be the same?

Very successful businessmen I'm talking Billionaires get there because they think with their head not their heart when making investment decisions.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I am aware of a proposal some years ago regarding construction of a shopping centre with apartments above and an attached commuter car park. The deal basically revolved around Transport NSW getting a free commuter car park and the developers getting a 99 year lease on the airspace above the railway line.

This is similar in many ways to the current proposal for Central Railway Station (refer above).

Always a Bulldog

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who owns the land at canterbury racecourse? Is it council?

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback, really appreciate it. There has been talk that NSW gov was making money available for a centre of excellence at Belmore which sprung the idea. They have had an architect do a survey of the site - read they were looking at a site in Liverpool as well. I actually think the U-Shape as one member suggested would work better - Bankstown council has a parkway and access proposal being around the training fields behind the hill which is why I looked at the option over the railway, still keeping the existing residential and using the land near the rail line which just looks like a bit of a dumping area (from google maps). I am based in Newcastle and have only been to Belmore a couple of times so it was just a concept to start the conversation - a lot that needs to be fixed/ changed/ resolved. Couple of other things raised;

Car park and terminal under ground instead - yep, brilliant idea

Grandstand closer to the field- yep, agree. The reason it was stepped back was to get some light into the walkway under the grandstand shown in the video - this was to do with the Bankstown council proposal as well regarding access and walkways.

Grandstand should be steeper - agree with that as well.

Concept or proposal - yep just a concept. Im only one guy and would need a team to put together a full proposal. Would love it to get out to the right people like Gus as @Sandra's Bollocks asked - I dont have twitter or any contacts - just a Bulldog tragic...... hahahaha.

Thanks again guys, appreciate it. Cheers
Any chance you can add a small fenced off area near Belmore where HMAS Knockonbur & some 2 legged goats could breed?