Belmore Sports Ground saints vs bulldogs 1979

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just came across this footage whilst randomly youtube surfing.
Seems Iike it begins with a women's exhibition match followed by Men's first grade.
Not much analysis of game and shame no audio, but awesome footage nevertheless.
Wonder if this was meant for a documentary or intended for commercial use. Can see that footage fitting in perfectly for a tooheys commercial.
"How do you feel" :grinning:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a strange piece of video. It seems to be footage from one camera only, or b-roll (extra footage) and the girls playing in hot pants lol. Wtaf? Maybe it was a mock game for an ad?

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
haha I saw that on Youtube last night as well. Great clear footage but wish it was more action orientated

That then took me down the Youtube rabbit hole and ended up watching Steve Mortimers highlights

Geez, you forget how electrifying he was . Scored some ridiculously phenomenal tries.

True Bulldogs legend

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Seems Iike it begins with a women's exhibition match followed by Men's first grade.
Wonder if this was meant for a documentary or intended for commercial use. Can see that footage fitting in perfectly for a tooheys commercial.
Wow. Certainly a sign of the times. I don’t remember women’s footy in the late 70s but hey, I was only 12 so why would I have cared? The cameraman (certainly a male) has lingered on his shots of T and A…enough to give the director an opportunity to replicate those scenes from the middle aged male fantasy movie of the year, ‘10’. The one with a braided hair Bo Derek running slow mo down a Malibu beach being ogled by Dudley Moore.
Now there’s an iconic movie clip if anyone cares to find it.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scrums looked like 2 heard of cattle going head to head, how footy has changed.
Not contesting scrums was a decision made by channel 9, they worked out they could put in another two minutes of advertising if they could speed things up...

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha I saw that on Youtube last night as well. Great clear footage but wish it was more action orientated

That then took me down the Youtube rabbit hole and ended up watching Steve Mortimers highlights

Geez, you forget how electrifying he was . Scored some ridiculously phenomenal tries.

True Bulldogs legend
Those 2 tries turvey scored against cronulla semi final 1979, absolutely brilliant!!.
And the solo try against parra the following week.
I feel for the newer fans who weren't blessed to witness a once in a generation player.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Ah, 1979, I was there along with 21,000 others, no SMortimer that day, Tim Pickup played half back. I was also there for the 1979 GF against St George at the SCG, with 51,000 there. Didn't win either game, I always thought we should have won the GF if Robinson had played. That year showed what was ahead, with 3 x Mortimers and 3 x Hughes.

Always a Bulldog

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't there a fourth Hughes... Mark, pommie, no relation?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing footage another time glad to have seen that era first hand too

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Those 2 tries turvey scored against cronulla semi final 1979, absolutely brilliant!!.
And the solo try against parra the following week.
I feel for the newer fans who weren't blessed to witness a once in a generation player.
Yeah Turvey was on fire that whole finals series against Wests, Cronulla and Parra. I was at the Parra final in the small stand next to the hill...full of Bulldogs supporters....great memories

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great to see old footage. Nicely filmed. Makes me appreciate those old players even more. It’s like watching the footy cards I had as a kid come to life.

Reaction score
the bright flash for a few frames when stopping the camera brings back the film nostalgia. the dark or under exposed slow mo shots show he forgot to open up the aperture on the camera to compensate the extra feet of film going over the gate while it's overcranked for slow mo shots