BAZZ!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I disagree. The squad for 2020 was at least as good as the one for 2021, if not better.
How so? Who did we have last year that added to our team that we don’t have now?

Allan was dynamite last year and has floundered under Trent, Flanagan was far from perfect, but a lot better.Thompson us better this year with a preseason under his belt, Cotric is better than anyone we had on the wing, Ava is better than any prop we had (batting Thompson). I don’t see how this roster is worse. This roster is a lot stronger on paper, imho.

Foran is the only guy I can think of snd even when he was missing we played much better footy.

I really think Trent is out of his depth. We need Gus calling the shots.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How so? Who did we have last year that added to our team that we don’t have now?

Allan was dynamite last year and has floundered under Trent, Flanagan was far from perfect, but a lot better.Thompson us better this year with a preseason under his belt, Cotric is better than anyone we had on the wing, Ava is better than any prop we had. I don’t see how this roster is worse. This roster is a lot stronger on paper, imho.

I really think Trent us out of his depth. We need Gus calling the shots.
Someone will mention the 6 again rule. But that was implemented after lock down last year. Yes the scrums etc still were around but the team overall played better. As shocking as thst sounds! I said last year the only way is up. But winning 2 games this year only with the new Singings we made is all on the coaching staff. I’d get rid of furner first, our defence is atrocious

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Next year,,,,?? Why? Are the new recruits going to suddenly morph Barrett into a good coach. People’s best traits show themselves in the worst times and conditions. Barrett has got nothing.
Well this is the unknown, isn't it? I am of the belief that we will be better next year because of the players coming (nowhere near top 8 though) so I would assume Barrett changes the structures accordingly to capitalize on this.
That will be the true test however I'm not holding my breath.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s got until round 8-10 next year I’d say. If he’s replaced it’s going to be by another junior coach, Gus will not put in a senior coach. I’ve got no idea who is the next up and coming coach in lower grades.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s got until round 8-10 next year I’d say. If he’s replaced it’s going to be by another junior coach, Gus will not put in a senior coach. I’ve got no idea who is the next up and coming coach in lower grades.
Ennis

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t know how I feel about that tbh, I wouldn’t be confident he’s the answer although plenty would agree with you.

i reckon Gus would have been keen on Craig Fitzgibbon.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s funny I’m pretty sure 90% of us can coach a side full of talent. The great coaches get the best out of the average players.
And out of curiosity if you were coach how many of the players in today’s squad would you have in your team? Barrett deserves to build his team. Next year we can be more critical of him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t know how I feel about that tbh, I wouldn’t be confident he’s the answer although plenty would agree with you.

i reckon Gus would have been keen on Craig Fitzgibbon.
I don’t know mate, I am just spitting into the wind. Gus won’t move Barrett on and bring in a big coach, he would rather bring in a Ricky Stuart like he did at the Roosters so he can pull the strings.

I like Mick, he has passion and is plenty smart.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And out of curiosity if you were coach how many of the players in today’s squad would you have in your team? Barrett deserves to build his team. Next year we can be more critical of him.
Id tell you who I wouldn’t pick, flano for starters, I’d play bbo in the halves and put turpine 14 on the bench. Heck I’d even slap Lewis in the centre’s and fuck off hoppa. Get katoa on the edges and fuck off okunbor. That’s a start

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mates that are mad Penrith Supporters, and they have a few contacts that say he wasn’t that great of a coach in the background. I personally have watched quite a few videos of the other Assistant Coach at Penrith - Cameron Ciraldo. Now this guy doesn’t get enough credit while Trent Barrett was at Panthers. Ciraldo has a football brain and analyses all aspects of the game. If Barrett was so great, since he has left - the Panthers should’ve dropped how many games they have won - but Nothing changed. Don’t get me wrong I think Trent Barrett is a great bloke. But when you lose, surely you have to do something, to try and reduce the errors - and keep changing until something works. I can’t see no matter how much people stick up for him, that things will dramatically change. But I will tell you one thing, based on new players coming in, and players going out, and Gus running the club now - if things don’t change - he’s days are numbered - by about halfway through next year - he’s job will be either safe (and a few of us will have egg on our faces) or he’ll be gone and they will bring someone in to actually coach and win some games. If things don’t change overall, even like dropping a player for poor performance, if they can’t make those tough decisions - you’ll get more of the same, week after week.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many of the 17 who played today would get a game with any other club ATM. The squad is a NSW cup squad with a few NRL bench players and even fewer fg players.