Battered Apple stops dodging iPhone 4 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...s-dodging-iphone-4-issues-20100715-10c5e.html

A CNN reporter demonstrates how to prevent signal problems with Apple's iPhone 4 ahead of the company's press conference to confront the issue.

In an unprecedented move for the company, Apple has called a surprise iPhone 4 press conference for Friday in the US where it is expected to address a serious design flaw in the device.

Despite selling 1.7 million iPhone 4 units in the first three days after its US launch, Apple has taken a beating over the last few weeks over antenna problems that cause calls to drop out when the phone is held in a certain way.

Apple's share price has taken a hit and many are calling for a recall after tests against similar devices confirmed that the problem was a significant "design flaw".
iPhone 4.

Plagued with reception issues ... iPhone 4.

At the Friday event, which for Australians will occur at 3am on Saturday, Apple is expected to offer either replacement phones or free "bumpers" that wrap around the device and prevent the antenna problems from occurring.

Anthony Agius, founder of the MacTalk website, said the move to hold a snap press conference was "something I've never seen Apple do in the decade I've been watching them".

Apple often refuses to acknowledge failings in its products and the iPhone 4 is no exception. Its chief executive, Steve Jobs, initially said iPhone 4 owners who were experiencing problems were simply holding the phone wrong.

Apple later blamed the issue on a software bug, saying it was "stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong".

But tech pundits weren't buying that explanation and independent testing by Consumer Reports revealed that the reception problems were the result of a hardware design flaw. It said it wouldn't recommend the device until the signal problem was fixed.

Analysts say Apple has created a public relations headache for itself by appearing to dismiss or ignore the problem, allowing a minor issue to be turned into headline news. The company has been sued by several consumers over the matter.

Most analysts believe a full recall is unlikely but Ireland's biggest bookmaker, Paddy Power, which has been taking bets on whether Apple would issue a recall, said "if the current betting trends are to be believed, it now seems certain that a recall is in the cards".

Bernstein Research analyst Toni Sacconaghi issued a report this week saying that, while a full product recall would be unlikely, if it went ahead it would end up costing Apple a whopping $US1.5 billion.

"Apple's image - and potentially iPhone sales - could be compromised if Apple does not explicitly - and constructively - address the issue of what it believes is wrong with the phone and how it will address it," Sacconaghi said in the statement.

Apple appears to be already quietly offering replacement phones to some customers who have complained, Gizmodo reported. Readers of the popular blog have said the replacement units appear to fix the problem.

The iPhone 4 is expected to launch in Australia within the next two weeks. It is not clear if Friday's announcement will delay the release.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Meh, I have a silicone cover on my 3gs anyway. would not affect usage

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I refuse to get a product that won't function correctly.

I am actaully going to wait til the end of the year before i decide. There's bound to be something better release before xmas. Like a phone with an intel atom chip, 8mp camera/recorder, something with HDMI out, wireless hotspot etc

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score

I am actaully going to wait til the end of the year before i decide. There's bound to be something better release before xmas. Like a phone with an intel atom chip, 8mp camera/recorder, something with HDMI out, wireless hotspot etc
Geez your not asking for much there mate.

I love my iPhone. I'm just going to wait until they fix the problem. Until then I'll stick with my 3G.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score

a mate of mine in the UK has the new iPhone. He was anti apple. he loves it

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
LG are releasing a 15MP phone lol.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geez your not asking for much there mate.

I love my iPhone. I'm just going to wait until they fix the problem. Until then I'll stick with my 3G.
HTC evo already has HDMI out, wireless hotspot, but only 5mp camera. and has a 4" screen. And theres an LG phone which has an intel chip.

Trust me, something good will be released before xmas.

Only thing that's drawing me to the iphone4 is that it has the best screen and video recorder on the market at the moment. But i wont buy one til the reception issue is fixed, i hate using cases on my phones. It's like buying a brand new car and driving around with a plastic cover over it so it doesnt get scratched

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
a mate of mine in the UK has the new iPhone. He was anti apple. he loves it
You dont have to try and sell it to me Doga. I am an iphone user, i know what it offers and i know what to expect from the iphone4.

Also, the fact that i would be upgrading to a new phone which has the exact same OS as my old one isn't that exciting. The best part about buying a new phone is playing around with it and exploring all the new features.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
HTC evo already has HDMI out, wireless hotspot, but only 5mp camera. and has a 4" screen. And theres an LG phone which has an intel chip.

Trust me, something good will be released before xmas.

Only thing that's drawing me to the iphone4 is that it has the best screen and video recorder on the market at the moment. But i wont buy one til the reception issue is fixed, i hate using cases on my phones. It's like buying a brand new car and driving around with a plastic cover over it so it doesnt get scratched
So that's the snag. fair enough.

I on the other hand have one of those silicone things covering it.
You dont have to try and sell it to me Doga. I am an iphone user, i know what it offers and i know what to expect from the iphone4.

Also, the fact that i would be upgrading to a new phone which has the exact same OS as my old one isn't that exciting. The best part about buying a new phone is playing around with it and exploring all the new features.
Fair enough. I now understand

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can you get iphone plans with unlimited browsing and email yet? Serious question btw.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Can you get iphone plans with unlimited browsing and email yet? Serious question btw.
I am on a vodafone iPhone plane. With that you get 1g of data a month. Believe me when I sat that is plenty. Even when you take app downloads etc

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
I am on a vodafone iPhone plane. With that you get 1g of data a month. Believe me when I sat that is plenty. Even when you take app downloads etc
for once i agree with you....
unless you stream radio alot when your not connected to wifi.....
other then that i dnt think ive ever used more then 300-400 megs a month....i got down to 100 megs left wen i used to stream radio for an hour a day!!

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am so not tech savvy that I probably wouldn't download a thing! It took me over a year to download one app for my BB and that was the virginblue app! I just like knowing that all I pay in the month is a certain amount for unlimited calls, text, mms net browsing and emails... it may have a data limit but it's high enough I don't exceed it - even with downloading files from clients. I think streaming is charged though. But again I do not watch videos on my phone.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
I am so not tech savvy that I probably wouldn't download a thing! It took me over a year to download one app for my BB and that was the virginblue app! I just like knowing that all I pay in the month is a certain amount for unlimited calls, text, mms net browsing and emails... it may have a data limit but it's high enough I don't exceed it - even with downloading files from clients. I think streaming is charged though. But again I do not watch videos on my phone.
I believe optus has a unlimited plan for 100 - 120 a month...

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Iphone plane aye?........

View attachment 17928
lol

Everyone I know does not go over 300-400Mb of Data as has been mentioned above already. So a data plan of 500Mb to 1G is ample.

Most of the time you will\or should be connected to Wireless Networks also so data usage in the plan is minimal.

Best thing to do is to go on a cap. Like a 79 dollar cap. If you go over then you can always go up to an 89 dollar cap if you like, or you could start lower.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Iphone plane aye?........

View attachment 17928
lol

Everyone I know does not go over 300-400Mb of Data as has been mentioned above already. So a data plan of 500Mb to 1G is ample.

Most of the time you will\or should be connected to Wireless Networks also so data usage in the plan is minimal.

Best thing to do is to go on a cap. Like a 79 dollar cap. If you go over then you can always go up to an 89 dollar cap if you like, or you could start lower.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not anymore. Only customers who previously held an unlimited plan with AT&T (like me) were able to continue on that contract when buying the new iPhone. New customers were required to choose either 250mb/month or ~2gb/month plans - each much cheaper than previous data package which was unlimited. Regardless of my usage, I've elected to pay the premium price of unlimited, as I see the internet usage will only increase as AT&T inevitably rolls out its 4G network.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.