News Barrett

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I had that same thought actually, Kyle is a great player, and if we can sign dad and he follows it would be a good outcome, however the Barrett news is very loud and gaining momentum it seems.!! Seems flanno is sitting in the dragons box beside Mary at the moment though.
Gould did the review at StGeorge and one of his main recommendations was that McGregor get some decent assistants, that's how Flanagan got the gig. Plus it suited him as he's local (lives in the Shire) and the NRL wouldn't let him head coach for 2 years, so the time as StGeorge assistant was a good fit for him. From memory his deal is for one year only and as a bonus it gives him inside running if (more like when) McGregor fails. I don't have a lot of contacts at StGeorge any more but it looks to me like Flanagan is having more influence there as the season progresses. I do know that he wanted a "faster" hooker to suite the "6 again" and finally got his way. There was a lot of resistance not to move the Captain from the hooking role, but he finally convinced them.

Regardless of who the head coach is we need quality assistant coaches, there are more than enough coaches out of work and the NRL head coaching gig is complex enough to justify having at least 2 or maybe even 3 NRL level quality assistant head coaches. But they have to work as team, that's the trick, learn to leave their egos at the door. Personally I believe that we have been aiming too low in our assistant coaches, such as Penna, Georgeallis and Antonelli. I think Dymock was a loss at the end of 2017 but I understand the reasons why.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hasn't had recent success though. He's 20-37 in his last three seasons. He has way too much baggage and has lost the respect of his players which is a huge red flag..

I don't think Green has any tactical nous and doesn't know how to utilise the rule changes even though he has a squad full of talented players who should thrive under these rules.. His selections and rotations are also mind boggling at times. We don't need more of the same issues that we currently have with Pay.

We need someone either with a proven record and who has shown they can rebuild a club (Griffin - 55% record over 170 games), take a chance on a highly rated coach who's been in the ESL (Wane, Lam) or an assistant like Fitzgibbon. If Politis ever lets him break his "handshake agreement" that is..
You had that with Des. I agree you should have a look at ESL or take a chance on someone like Todd Payten?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anything is not fucking better.

You want to end up with the likes of Jason Taylor, Paul Langmack, Wayne Pearce
Yes. That's exactly what i meant and those 3 coaches are the epitome of what my point was.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You had that with Des. I agree you should have a look at ESL or take a chance on someone like Todd Payten?
Des had the cred but the product was not good, his time was up imo.