Barba happy to take half measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
BEN Barba has put his hand up to solve the Bulldogs' playmaking crisis, with the brilliant fullback declaring that answering a potential SOS call is more important than the Dally M Medal.

The Bulldogs' minor premiership charge was put in doubt by a hamstring injury to halfback Kris Keating and a suspected fractured cheekbone to prop Sam Kasiano during Friday's victory over Manly at Brookvale.

Barba, who scored two tries from fullback to continue his stellar season, said he would have no hesitation giving up the position that has helped him become one of the best attacking players in the game.

The Mackay product, who played his entire junior career at five-eighth, has stormed into Dally M calculations for both the fullback of the year and player of the year awards.

However, he said he would put his team's fortunes before the coveted gong.

"They (the Dally Ms) are the last thing from my mind," Barba said.

"My focus is on the Bulldogs and doing whatever it takes for the team.

"I will do whatever is asked of me and won't even be thinking about awards."

With scans to determine how long Keating will be sidelined and his obvious replacement Trent Hodkinson out for the season with a knee injury, Des Hasler is confronting the toughest decision of his Bulldogs coaching career.

The two-time premiership-winning coach has few options and will have to gamble on moving either Barba, backrower David Stagg, or hooker Michael Ennis into a playmaking role alongside the ever-improving Josh Reynolds.

His only other option is to promote former fullback-come-halfback Trent Cutler from the NSW Cup to fill the breach.

Stagg has deputised at five-eighth in the past and was thrown into the role last Friday following Keating's injury, with Reynolds shifting to the key halfback role.

Barba said he would have no issue with being moved from fullback, where he could be replaced by either Sam Perrett, Jonathan Wright or Krisnan Inu at the back.

"I am not sure what Des will do," Barba said.

"That stuff is out of my hands, but I would be willing to do whatever he asks.

"I am obviously enjoying my time there (at fullback) and that is my position now, but I would have no problems going back to the halves.

"I am not sure what they will do there, but I am sure they will come up with the right decision.

"I would play anywhere in the side as long I am in the 17. I will just see what happens during the week."

The Bulldogs have been left battered and bruised by the Brookvale Oval encounter, with Kasiano sidelined for an extended period. The barnstorming prop suffered a suspected fractured cheekbone in a head clash with Jason King and is likely to miss six weeks.

However, the biggest concern is the injury to Keating with the club's playmaking stocks wearing thin.

The former Parramatta player strained a hamstring in the first half and looked a distraught figure when he hobbled to the sideline.

Barba could prove to be the solution, with the tryscoring sensation dominating the under-20s competition a few years ago as a No. 6.

He said he was still feeling the effects of the "toughest" game of his career after another match-winning display.

Barba was on the end of several heavy collisions as he was targeted under the high ball.

"It was a very rewarding win," Barba said. "It was probably the toughest game I have ever played in. But we have to now move on to next week and focus on the Cowboys. That will be another tough game.

"I copped a few, but you learn from things like that. It gets you ready for the bigger games, but I am good and well and walking around freely, so that is all that counts."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ba-to-the-halves/story-e6frexnr-1226431571091

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great attitude by Barba!

Will Hodkinson or Stagg step in!

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great attitude by Barba!

Hodkinson is out for the season where have you been under a rock? Stagg has no kicking game

Barba to 5/8 reynolds to halfback, Perret to fullback goodwin/mcdougal to the wing could work but then we lose some attack and we dont know how barba will go in defence

dullbogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barba has been lethal all year at fb, moving him to 5/8 just seems like it would be weakening 2 key positions instead of 1. I'm not a huge Romelo fan but he can get the job done in the halves, which is exactly what Keating has been doing. We are lucky in the sense the way Hasler has the team drilled, our attack doesn't rely solely on the play making of the halves like most other teams. As long as Romelo can slot in and play his role we can stick with a winning formula.

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodkinson is out for the season where have you been under a rock? Stagg has no kicking game

Barba to 5/8 reynolds to halfback, Perret to fullback goodwin/mcdougal to the wing could work but then we lose some attack and we dont know how barba will go in defence
If stagg's kicking is the problem barba or inu. Another option is having romelo on the bench and bringing him on for stagg after a while

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
how long is KK likely to be out for?

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah barba to 6 see how he goes will be only for couple of weeks inu to fullback but I am worried about barba's defence who ever is outside of him will have to step up if is stage he is a tackling machine. watching grahams grubber kick Im sure he could also be considered.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Romelo?
Yep. Don't rule Romelo out. He has played alongside Reynolds in the halves at NSW Cup level before which helps establish an old combination.

Leave Barba at fullback as he is going so well at the back!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Too messy ! Too many changes for mine ! Move stag or Romelo to half and that's it. Less impact on the team. There are plenty of guys who can help out with the kicking duties from their positions, Romelo, Ennis, inu, Barba and Reynolds can all kick.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You don't have to be in the halves to kick you know, Barba can still kick while playing FB.

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Ennis to 7, Romelo to 9 for me. If it doesn't work out they could always alternate..

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with the Dynamic of the team. That's been the key to our success this year.

I'd keep Barba at FB, Stagg at 6, and Reynolds at 7. Barba plays like a 2nd 5/8 in attack already.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
This is just media talk, I cannot see Barba being moved from fullback. In attack he plays like an extra 5/8th anyway

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
how long is KK likely to be out for?
2 weeks! minimum, do we have a skilled young half backs in U20's ????
JJ and DF are fantastic, just wondering if we have any more surprises that could handle 1/2 back???

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Great attitude by Barba!

According to the Bulldogs website under the Injurys Tag, Hodkinson is out for the season. Barba is a mature young man when being interviewed by the media. Well done Ben, you are a credit to your club, team, your family and of course, yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.