Banned Domestic Violence Ads - ** Warning inside**

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what do you think of these ads? Would you condsider them harsh, disturbing, clever, humourous, over the top, etc?

Also, if they were ever aired do you think they would of been effective, and do you believe they were appropriately banned?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be warned these videos are very confronting and if you are likely to be upset too easily you should consider whether these videos are for you to watch or not. They don't contain any nudity etc but are very confronting.

Boardroom

Restaurant
--------------------------------------------------------------------

A

atomic_crimson

totally unrealistic.... and disturbing aswell.... i think the aussie ones they are fairly effective and apporiate as they touch on what actually stops people from reporting such acts - and that is women either believe its "ok" or they "deserved it"

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unrealistic? I beg to differ.

Yes, you would never see a man hit a woman outside of the home, but it is proving a point. If it's not ok to hit a stranger, why is it ok to hit your partner?

I thought they were really good ads - graphic, but good.

A

atomic_crimson

because as if a boadroom would stand around as a guy beats a woman...

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
TBH, i think they are good, but its really not something kiddies should be watching, put them on after 9.30 pm i rekon...

BTW, the Restaraunt one is my fave.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
atomic_crimson said:
because as if a boadroom would stand around as a guy beats a woman...
Depends how bored they are.. :P

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
atomic_crimson said:
totally unrealistic.... and disturbing aswell.... i think the aussie ones they are fairly effective and apporiate as they touch on what actually stops people from reporting such acts - and that is women either believe its "ok" or they "deserved it"
Fair angle AC, and you are right it is unrealistic... But this distortion is the purpose of the ad. Victims of domestic violence are generally abused as viciously as those in the ad, however the only difference is this abuse does not happen in the public eye!

This promotes awareness of the pre existing underlying problem (the one the public does not see)as due to the full on nature, it is an ad the most will not forget quickly. Although it does nothing to provide a solution, awareness is an excellent step in the right direction...

The question is, is it appropriate to show it to an unwilling viewer during an episode of Australian Idol?!

A

atomic_crimson

dvsbastard said:
Fair angle AC, and you are right it is unrealistic... But this distortion is the purpose of the ad. Victims of domestic violence are generally abused as viciously as those in the ad, however the only difference is this abuse does not happen in the public eye!

This promotes awareness of the pre existing underlying problem (the one the public does not see)as due to the full on nature, it is an ad the most will not forget quickly. Although it does nothing to provide a solution, awareness is an excellent step in the right direction...

The question is, is it appropriate to show it to an unwilling viewer during an episode of Australian Idol?!
Time should not matter because whilst the ad could be targetted at an older audience we have to remember there are alot of young girls and guys to an extent who also get abused. When i was 16 one of my best friends was being hit by her boyfriend and she thought it was ok - because she did something wrong!

The target should audience can be young girls (teens) to adult women. However how viscious someone is abused should not matter whether its a slap here and there or its a full beating it is abuse.

I am all for awareness on these issues - however i think a girl beaten like crap in a boadroom is a bit unrealistic and in a situation as delicate as domestic voilence you need to be able to connect with your audience as most women either do not as i said understand what is happening to them is wrong or are to scared to do anything about it. Solutions also need to be part of the ads, whether it's a simple note directing victims to the authorities.

DoggyGirl

>Sylvana
Reaction score
atomic_crimson said:
I am all for awareness on these issues - however i think a girl beaten like crap in a boadroom is a bit unrealistic and in a situation as delicate as domestic voilence you need to be able to connect with your audience as most women either do not as i said understand what is happening to them is wrong or are to scared to do anything about it. Solutions also need to be part of the ads, whether it's a simple note directing victims to the authorities.
The whole point of the ads isn't that it happened in a boardroom or restaurant, The last line says "he wouldn't get away with it here. why should he get away with it at home?" That's the point of it all! So basically, he shouldn't get way with it anywhere!

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DoggyGirl said:
The whole point of the ads isn't that it happened in a boardroom or restaurant, The last line says "he wouldn't get away with it here. why should he get away with it at home?" That's the point of it all! So basically, he shouldn't get way with it anywhere!
I completely agree. No1 in their right mind would lay a hand on a woman in a boardroom meeting, or in a cafe, so why does it make it ok to smack her about at home? That's the point they're trying to get across...

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely unrealistic but I think that makes them more effective

D

DoggyStylz

I think the moral of these ads are not to correct or upset men *ducks head and runs for cover*

DoggyGirl

>Sylvana
Reaction score
DoggyStylz said:
I think the moral of these ads are not to correct or upset men *ducks head and runs for cover*
u need a woman to beat yo ass!

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it sick and twisted of me to find them both funny? Especially the board room one?

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BootS said:
These ads are a classic example of a man keeping "his pimp hand strong".
1. shoosh. stop stealing my line. you are making me appear like a person who condones woman beating! LOL.....
someone smashing a head into a desk is quite a bit different to slapping a **** dancer.
2. he adjusted his tie at the end- a good pimps tie is always imaculate, no matter his beating acvtivities. therefore this guy is an imposter, and NOT a real pimp.

Zor said:
Was it sick and twisted of me to find them both funny? Especially the board room one?
i also found them funny. and im a female...( lol especially where in the boardroom he picks something up and throws it at her! LOL)

but BEFORE people start screaming, abusing and pitchforking me let me explain.

these are slighty far fetched.... effective? perhaps- this violence really exists. but as a teeengaer who hasnt exactly seen a guy smashing a chicks head into the table, i find it a bit confronting, yet humurous at the same time.

i think the ones where the women talk is more effective, because you can hear the story. instead of just seeing violence we are de-sensitised from by seeing it in every second movie on television.

i think the best ads by far is the one where the man smashes the ladies head into the tv and you see it splatter and shatter.....horrific, yea....but god dam , it happens!!!!

Slats

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mrs.Maitua said:
Yes, you would never see a man hit a woman outside of the home, but it is proving a point. If it's not ok to hit a stranger, why is it ok to hit your partner?
thats not true. i have seen many men beat a woman outside the home. i've seen them do it in a park, in a shopping strip on the street, on a train, all in broad daylight.

and for everyone who is saying they are unrealistic, thats not the point of the ads. like someone mentioned before, the message they are trying to get across is 'he wouldn't get away with it in public, so why should he get away with it at home?' they are trying to show that abuse is wrong, regardless of where its perpetrated.

i don't think they should have been banned. they should be put to air. its bad enough that so many women (and men) get abused in varying degrees. why should we continue to keep it quiet and out of the public's attention? at least this is trying doing something about it.

Roozy

princess
Reaction score
Its true, not long ago I saw a guy smack his gf to the back of her head in front of everyone in the shops. I felt like kicking him in the head, poor girl was so shocked.

Slats

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
or the time i saw a guy grab the girl he was with by the neck and smack her face first into the side of his car. i was about 15 when i saw it, and even then i thought it was wrong. i've even seen one of my dad's friends smack his wife. i told my dad and my dad hasn't spoken to him since. my dad's a cool bloke. he's the one who's shown me that a woman deserves to be treated with respect. go dad! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.