Backlash over new Islamic school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
More than 2000 people have protested against the building of a private Islamic school in Sydney's south-west as the backlash against the project - including a text message campaign - builds.

The proposed Islamic school for Camden has outraged thousands of residents, some of whom say it would bring violence to the suburb and turn it into a "dirty looking town like Lakemba".

On October 17, Camden Council made public an application from the Quranic Society to build Camden College, a primary school and high school for 600 students each on Burragorang and Cawdor Roads.
The site is now farm land and the one house on the land might be turned into a caretaker's residence.

Last night's meeting was not advertised as a protest, but a call for a show of hands from those behind the plan for the school attracted only a few responses from the crowd. "This will put Camden on the map," one speaker said.

Some residents have also been circulating a text message urging people to voice their opposition to the council.

"The council requires 600 written dated n signed letters objecting2the proposal of the muslim school in camden. DONT MISS the oppoutunity2have your say before its2late," the message says.

It gives a postal address for the mayor and tells recipients to forward the message to everyone they know.

Camden Mayor Chris Patterson said most of the 270 responses received so far opposed the plan on "perceived problems with traffic, rural lifestyle and amenities" but concerns aired in posts on the local newspaper's website were more blunt.

A Camden Advertiser reader, who identified herself only as Hayley, said she felt sick. "The thought of our beautiful Camden accommodating to this religion is a disgrace ... This Islamic school will change the town forever," she said.

A resident of 14 years, Gary Wright, said if Camden Council wished to bring crime and corruption to Camden and make it a "dirty looking town like Lakemba I supose [sic] they will go ahead anyhow".

In the 2006 census, Camden had 3166 residents of which 69 per cent identified themselves as Christian and 13 per cent as having no religion.
The spokesman for the Quranic Society, Jeremy Bingham, said he had anticipated the religious backlash.

"People fear what they don't yet understand," he said. "There's nothing at all for people to be afraid of any more than they need to be afraid of Catholics or Jews or Protestants."

Kindergarten to year 3 pupils would be enrolled first to the school, which could open for the 2009 school year. New grades would be added each year and children would not have to be Muslim to enrol, Mr Bingham said.

Students would be taught subjects in line with the government syllabus in a structure that allowed for prayer and time dedicated to religious instruction - just like in other church schools, he said.

"It's just a school for little kiddies who want to learn to be good Australians and they will be taught to be good Australians. Their religious faith happens to be the Muslim faith, that's all," Mr Bingham said.

Mr Patterson said no decision would be made on the proposal until early next year. Development plans are on display at Camden and Narellan libraries and Camden Council until November 14.

D

D0ggyStylz

Thought this was going to be about the one that is going out at Bass Hill. Apparently there is going to be one where the Drive ins are.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
why are they protesting just coz its an islamic school?

Whats the difference between that and a catholic school? The protests sound a bit racist to me.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A Camden Advertiser reader, who identified herself only as Hayley, said she felt sick. "The thought of our beautiful Camden accommodating to this religion is a disgrace ... This Islamic school will change the town forever," she said.

A resident of 14 years, Gary Wright, said if Camden Council wished to bring crime and corruption to Camden and make it a "dirty looking town like Lakemba I supose [sic] they will go ahead anyhow".
LOL, bogans

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the people on the news were genuine hicks

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to laugh...simply at people's stupidity. so what if there's a new islamic school? they've got schools for pretty much every other religion, so what's the big deal.
fmd bogans...they make people in townsville look pretty tame lol

bored

i
Reaction score
im with pattenator, whats the difference if its catholic or islamic?

more racism, dats all we need....

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
yyyeeeee hhhhhhaaaaawwwwwww

I dont know why muslims want to build an islamic school out there anyway

the people of Camden are slack jawed racist yokels that wont accept the muslim community into their community

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
lol it was good television.

"I've seen whats happened to BANKSTOWN!"

*crowd cheers in agreement*

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
best quote:

"They'll ship them into town, go to school, and be shipped right out again....It's like a prison."

Or maybe, something like, a boarding school?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
tbh where are they going to build it is practically inb a middle of nowhere and atm there is a cow farm on there.

i wouldnt build a islamic school down in camden or anywhere down in the macarthur area

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
tbh where are they going to build it is practically inb a middle of nowhere and atm there is a cow farm on there.

i wouldnt build a islamic school down in camden or anywhere down in the macarthur area
rofl @ cow farm

M

MikeyP..

RACISTS.

There are catholic skools around NSW, but they are protesting against islamic skools??? wtf.

T

TdoggBulldog

since i last checked Australia wasn't a catholic country.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
RACISTS.

There are catholic skools around NSW, but they are protesting against islamic skools??? wtf.

give me a good reason why there should be an islamic school in camden?

there is already 3 islamic schools in liverpool... sule college, this fiji-indian-pakistani school in green valley and al ammanah college in south liverpool

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
give me a good reason why there should be an islamic school in camden?

there is already 3 islamic schools in liverpool... sule college, this fiji-indian-pakistani school in green valley and al ammanah college in south liverpool
You miss the point, dont get me wrong I think its a bad idea to put one up there too. But it's got nothing to do with the location, just the reaction they will receive from the locals, which really shouldnt be an issue here in australia - a country that prides it self on multiculturalism.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignorant morons who's minds are shaped by the media representation of islam. It's a poor reflection on society.

Status
Not open for further replies.