BACK TO BELMORE: BULLDOGS EYE $250M UPGRADE

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The atmosphere would be amazing around the belmore precinct during game day.
Neither does the Caxton hotel by the way in respect to the belmore pub.
We are in the entertainment industry now right...the nrl.
There is nothing in Liverpool.
Belmore is the go.
I remember years ago they had plans about building a new stadium at belmore, and they had the field running the other way , it would fit 35000 people.
So if you could visualise the goal posts to be on the hill side and the other posts on the stand,side so sideline would run parallel with train line on one side etc.
I think we're kind of comparing apples and oranges, you're thinking game day experience which is fine but there has to be a commercial aspect to it too. If the redevelopment could be government funded and included a car park then it'd be great but the leagues club aren't going to put $150 mil into a project that has zero commercial benefit to them especially when they have a $40 mil debt.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hence my question - what’s Stewart done in the 10 years since leaving politics and is there relevance - I don’t know - but as usual you simply slung mud at club management pointing out ‘incompetence’ where there’s likely no relevance.
So THAT’s my point.
I would add, what did Stewart do when he was in politics? Aside from getting dismissed for abusing his own staff members.
The only thing Stewart has going for him is his replacement Tania Mihailuk, is even worse. Did nothing as Mayor for 6 years and has done nothing in 9 years as Bankstown's MP.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we're kind of comparing apples and oranges, you're thinking game day experience which is fine but there has to be a commercial aspect to it too. If the redevelopment could be government funded and included a car park then it'd be great but the leagues club aren't going to put $150 mil into a project that has zero commercial benefit to them especially when they have a $40 mil debt.
Let's get over the $40m debt, it was for $107m of leagues club expansions and renovations which we paid $57m in cash and borrowed $50m over 10 years. We paid back $10m last year so we are way ahead of our repayments. That's from memory if you want the whole story read here; https://canterbury.com.au/content/u...ry-League-Club-Limited-Financial-Report-1.pdf

FWIW the Football Club has the majority say in the what the Leagues Club does, that's the way The Great Man set it up. So if there are sound reasons for investment in Belmore then the Football Club has the power to make it happen.

Go Dogs

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With respect I've worked in the club industry for over 20 years, 15 years in management and have worked in some big clubs. I'm not saying there isn't any profit in food and bev but the margins are slim and a cafe is a lot more streamline an operation where you don't need 2-3 people at each sign in desk because the registered clubs act specifies people need to sign in, you don't have 2-3 security in the car park, etc. Rightly or wrongly no club survives without gaming, Russell Crowe found that out the hard way and the $1.5 profit from a schooner and $4-5 profit from a schnitzel pales into insignificance compared to profit from gaming
I can appreciate that costs are relevant,and different,the basic principles of of business,though remain the same,and that is don’t spend more than u make,but I take your point,leagues clubs are high turnover businesses,but if u have a home game,and 3000go back to the leagues,and 10%of those went to play pokies,surely the club would benefit,and that was my whole discussion point with the club going back to belmore,
Ps is spoonman your apprentice he seems to like everything u write [emoji4]

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate that costs are relevant,and different,the basic principles of of business,though remain the same,and that is don’t spend more than u make,but I take your point,leagues clubs are high turnover businesses,but if u have a home game,and 3000go back to the leagues,and 10%of those went to play pokies,surely the club would benefit,and that was my whole discussion point with the club going back to belmore,
Ps is spoonman your apprentice he seems to like everything u write
I like his comments because he is on the money. Gambling is the clubs backbone and game days at Belmore disrupt that.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ps is spoonman your apprentice he seems to like everything u write [emoji4]
The issue is parking, if 3000 use the Carpark there's no where for the patrons that actually spend a lot of money to park.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is parking, if 3000 use the Carpark there's no where for the patrons that actually spend a lot of money to park.
Have u ever heard of ABS,I suggest u read it,gambling has been on the decline,for the last 5 years,clubs need to find alternate revenue streams,to up their bottom line,otherwise it’s oblivion,and the parking situation would only b 4 days a month,hardly A catastrophe.but anyway I enjoy sensible discussions,with people who have a mind of their own.[emoji106]

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Canterbury League Don't even Show PPV Boxing or UFC
they don't like the riff raff hanging around the joint
they only like ppl with $100 dollars bills going to the high rollers room

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury League Don't even Show PPV Boxing or UFC
they don't like the riff raff hanging around the joint
they only like ppl with $100 dollars bills going to the high rollers room
You seriously call UFC a sport,2 people belting the living daylights out of each other,and who end up with permanent brain damage,I applaud the club for not showing that shit,that’s no way to promote family friendly events,and the club as a whole.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lynne is using James Phelps to help her out and act like she is doing something. This rubbish idea got completely squashed when they asked for it years ago and it just doesn’t magically happen especially in these dire times. Just another ploy by the andersons to get a feel good story to help them out of the rot they have caused. Lynne should be sacked and no female should be Incharge of a footy club. Not being sexiest it’s just how it is.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would add, what did Stewart do when he was in politics? Aside from getting dismissed for abusing his own staff members.
The only thing Stewart has going for him is his replacement Tania Mihailuk, is even worse. Did nothing as Mayor for 6 years and has done nothing in 9 years as Bankstown's MP.

Go Dogs
For one, he was assistant to the Minister for Sport & Recreation. His knowledge of processes & contacts could have come in handy.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have u ever heard of ABS,I suggest u read it,gambling has been on the decline,for the last 5 years,clubs need to find alternate revenue streams,to up their bottom line,otherwise it’s oblivion,and the parking situation would only b 4 days a month,hardly A catastrophe.but anyway I enjoy sensible discussions,with people who have a mind of their own.[emoji106]
Well aware of the decline, it's been happening in Vegas for about 5-10 years, one of the biggest things in the club industry atm is diversification, the club I currently work at has spent over $100 mil on everything from hotels, eateries, bowling alleys, etc but our bread and butter is still gaming. Catastophy is probably an exaggeration but my point is Belmore games aren't good for business at the leagues club which goes back to my original point that there's no way on earth they'd finance it

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the land at Belmore worth more as a development site?

As in for apartments not a football stadium.

Changes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Isn't the land at Belmore worth more as a development site?

As in for apartments not a football stadium.
It’s council property not the Bulldogs property, the bulldogs only lease it from council.
The whole article is a load of fluff to distract from the boards and CEO’s heat they have been copping.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lynne is using James Phelps to help her out and act like she is doing something. This rubbish idea got completely squashed when they asked for it years ago and it just doesn’t magically happen especially in these dire times. Just another ploy by the andersons to get a feel good story to help them out of the rot they have caused. Lynne should be sacked and no female should be Incharge of a footy club. Not being sexiest it’s just how it is.
Two women in Rae Rae & out of depth Lynne have steered us to our worst results in history. Is it a coincidence? Or is there a pattern emerging here. Women can be in charge but can they just run other clubs instead so we can make up ground on them.