Back 5

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got hammered by my tiger mates when I suggested dogs back 5 is one of the best in the comp for mine.
I guess we all have differing opinions on things and they're entitled to theirs. But
- Chrichton & JAC both regulars in rep teams. Xerri probably would be if he hadn't been caught on drugs.
- Kiraz was leading the dally m's until he was injured last year and he's in that kind of form again IMO. I think the sky is the limit on his rep career.
- Our fullback options of Taaffe and Tracey aren't quite rep contention at this stage and I don't think they'll push their way in this year. But still both dangerous in attack.

I even like our backup options. Wilson could walk into most teams. Skelton might be hard to keep too. Too good for reserve grade, but hasn't had the opportunity he deserves. (Edit) Joash Papalii is seemingly being prepped for a late season debut if needed and given that we had a big year from the reserves last year there's probably more players I haven't read much about who'd do a job for us.

In short we could have our season derailed by having the bulk of our backline in origin for the first time in decades.
2 Kiraz
3 Xerri
4 Chrichton
5 JAC
Wouldn't look like a bad origin backline to me. And for what it's worth there's a chance Burton will be selected as a backup centre/half who'd not look out of place at lock or second row.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got hammered by my tiger mates when I suggested dogs back 5 is one of the best in the comp for mine.
It would be if we had an established fullback, Tracey’s in gun form though. As of right now absolutely, 2-5 irrelavent of form arguably is the best in the comp. Critta is the no 1 centre, Xerri looks the goods and our wingers are class.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We were also the last team to actively change with the times. Remember in 06, 07 and even 09 we had a strange obsession with small wingers and we consistently got exposed by any half decent halfback.
Melbourne really started that trend tbh, with Inglis and Folau on their wings and they went absolutely insane.
Nah Broncos did with Lote and Wendall in the 2000s. They were Bennett's metre eating try scoring machines..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't agree more, JMoz the only star.
Shows how important a forward pack is
Having one part of the team filled with stars and the rest with solid can work with great strategy. And once upon a time I'd be wanting the killer pack too. But monster forwards are currently looking for money that used to be representative spine type money. Quality outside backs seem to be better value for money and we've filled our backline with incredible quality.

These days having a monster pack probably isn't quite as useful with the 6 again rule IMO. Even with a monster pack, a refs calls can wear them out with defence in 15 minutes, turning them into a defensive liability with fatigue for the rest of a half. Our fit mobile pack are hitting the point where they can hold out when we're getting hammered that way. We don't win based on their go forward. But they're not taking a backwards step and when we've lost it hasn't been through a lack of meterage from the forwards.

So arguably, the monster forward pack isn't quite as important as it once was.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patten i still think is one of the best ever fullbacks to not play AU/Origin and that was because the teams were so stacked with talented FBs back then
Patten and Edwards similar always there