Avo

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but you only have to look at their highlights in the juniors to see Burton is the more gifted player. His skill set (passing and kicking game) is far superior to that of Avo. Unless Burton is lazy and doesn't realise his full potential, there is no doubt in my mind that Burton will be the 6 long term. I think if Avo kills it and Allen doesn't, he'll more likely end up pushing Allen out of the 1 jersey. I just can't see him taking the 6 jersey off Burton
I get what your saying, Avo so far has only shown potential, but then again are we or more correctly Barrett sure that Burton is as good as he is made out to be, my reservations are based on the fact that Cleary play's Luai ahead of him, and is prepared to let Burton go, when I'm sure that if Cleary wanted to keep him ahead of Luai he would have found away.
If you have the next Fittler on your roster you keep him at all costs, even if you have to cheat.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy burton to 7, avo at 6 and flanaghan offloaded
Highly possible, the Rotters had their reason to offload Flanaghan.
My concern from what I've "heard" is that neither Burton and Averillo are game managers, which is what we need most, particularly when we don't have a top No 9.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what your saying, Avo so far has only shown potential, but then again are we or more correctly Barrett sure that Burton is as good as he is made out to be, my reservations are based on the fact that Cleary play's Luai ahead of him, and is prepared to let Burton go, when I'm sure that if Cleary wanted to keep him ahead of Luai he would have found away.
If you have the next Fittler on your roster you keep him at all costs, even if you have to cheat.
The situation with Burton vs Luai reminds me of Anasta vs Thurston. Anasta was older so he got the jump on Thurston. That's what happened with Laui. Because he is older he made it to FG first so he got the first shot at the 6 jersey but that doesn't necessarily mean he is the better player. It was just bad timing for Burton that he was just behind Luai in terms of age (and good timing for us)

Also, the fact that Luai is best mates with Clearly and he played most of his juniors with Cleary gave him a big advantage over Burton.

You can also see from their reaction that Penrith are filthy at losing him...they did not want to let him go but they had no choice

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I doubt Burton would ever play lock, on an edge maybe. Ball playing locks are a myth imo.
Agree in today's game, all about footwork and quick play the ball for a lock now.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I agree it does look like Averillo's best bet is in the centres for 2022. Another role i could see for him is on a wing with a license to have a roving commission and bob up in unexpected places when we have the ball maybe sniffing around the rucks for offloads. I remember Chris Anderson scoring tries on lots of places far away from his right wing. The skill set for a winger particularly with kick defusion of bombs chips and grubbers is often very similar to a fullback and also his defence wouldn't be under as much pressure. Just a thought.
Best spot for team balance come 2022 would be Averillo #14 or wing outside Cotric. Problem is though I don't see anyone player being happy with being 6 a whole season and then being moved to either of those spots a season later... Imagine if Cowboys took him lol

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly possible, the Rotters had their reason to offload Flanaghan.
My concern from what I've "heard" is that neither Burton and Averillo are game managers, which is what we need most, particularly when we don't have a top No 9.
Agree, Flanagan is a genuine organising 7.
I hope he can become a mainstay halfback for us. He still has a lot of growth in his game but is a true 7.
Neither Averillo or Burton are game managers. At least at this stage of their careers.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wasn't a walk up start in our team last year and we were horrible.. so far all he has shown us is that he has potential. Nothing wrong with him being a bench player for now.. he could turn into 2012 barba one day but he's just as likely to turn into 2020 peachy.. so let's just see how it goes and keep our fingers crossed that he keeps improving.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When Hoppa leaves next year, Avo will slot in at centre. Then you'll have both Burton and Avo in our backline. Done!
Nearly all Avo's highlight reels in the lower grades has him wearing the number 4 on his back. Then when Alomati makes his way into the NRL, Cotric can move back on to the wing where he's played most in first grade. Alomati and Avo will form a lethal centre combination

1. Allen
2. Cotric
3. Alomati
4. Averillo
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

I reckon this could potentially be the best back line in the competition.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When Hoppa leaves next year, Avo will slot in at centre. Then you'll have both Burton and Avo in our backline. Done!
Nearly all Avo's highlight reels in the lower grades has him wearing the number 4 on his back. Then when Alomati makes his way into the NRL, Cotric can move back on to the wing where he's played most in first grade. Alomati and Avo will form a lethal centre combination

1. Allen
2. Cotric
3. Alomati
4. Averillo
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

Agreed

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan has implied that Jake has been training at 5/8 and been exceptional. To the point where he prefers him as his partner.
I don't get the idea before season's kickoff to try Jake at fullback or centre. Wasn't Allen brought in to stabilise our fullback problem and move hoppa to his more comfortable role of centre.i just feel we've slowly started to strengthen our backline potency and I'm happy with that compared to what we've had.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanagan has implied that Jake has been training at 5/8 and been exceptional. To the point where he prefers him as his partner.
I don't get the idea before season's kickoff to try Jake at fullback or centre. Wasn't Allen brought in to stabilise our fullback problem and move hoppa to his more comfortable role of centre.i just feel we've slowly started to strengthen our backline potency and I'm happy with that compared to what we've had.
These are all based on burton not being here

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are all based on burton not being here
Yes of course but Burton isn't here atm. And I do want him here if a realistic release from Penrith can be granted. However if he does come and slots into 5/8 then trying to force Jake into the run on team at fullback or centre or wherever forces a reshuffle on combos over the offseason. Last 3 years have been painful after every loss a new overhaul of team positional changes have surfaced. Jake is a talent and if he's patient he would do well to bide his time like papenhausen in a good system and be the best player he can be.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1. Allen
2. Cotric
3. Alomati
4. Averillo
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

I heard theyll resign hop if the price is right!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well next year Alomatio might still be a year away from playing regular FG, so signing Hoppa for another year might be good.
I'm sure TBaz will sort it out.
Should play Flegg this season, maybe ISP next year at some stage? Backend of 22 seems like the earliest we will possibly see him in the NRL with 23 being a more realistic goal year...even then he's still only going to be 19.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Should play Flegg this season, maybe ISP next year at some stage? Backend of 22 seems like the earliest we will possibly see him in the NRL with 23 being a more realistic goal year...even then he's still only going to be 19.
This kid will be playing FG by 19.

I think SBW was 19 when he made his debut.

These type of players don't come around that often