Averillo position

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know he had a brilliant game today at 7 but did anyone hear what Baz said about where he can play? He said, 6,7 or fullback, makes me think if we get Johnson next year to partner Burto, Averillo at 1 with players like JAC, Naden and Cotric could be absolutely lethal. Averillo would be brilliant at fullback, his running game is so good.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What is the obsession with Shaun Johnson now? He is cooked.

I'd rather have x factors in the halves who can develop and be at the club long term aka Burto & Avo. We just need to get a pack & hooker who will get us on the front foot to give these guys some time and space.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is the obsession with Shaun Johnson now? He is cooked.

I'd rather have x factors in the halves who can develop and be at the club long term aka Burto & Avo. We just need to get a pack & hooker who will get us on the front foot to give these guys some time and space.
Over the past few weeks, Burton struggled without an experienced half next to him. He only played well in the second half of the sharks game. I feel most of us want Johnson to help take pressure off Burton next season. I feel his experience and leadership will help develop immensely.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, Burton struggled without an experienced half next to him. He only played well in the second half of the sharks game. I feel most of us want Johnson to help take pressure off Burton next season. I feel his experience and leadership will help develop immensely.
Agree completely, take the pressure off Burto completely and let him shine, Johnson would be a perfect partner.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Johnson would be an ego maniac, override all the plays like Lewis does.

No thanks, if Burton & Avo are good enough they don't need an experienced player alongside them to develop. We can get experienced characters like JAC in other positions who can help create a good environment for them. We have a former rep half as a coach who can help these two develop without signing a washed up SJ. Another cooked floporan signing in the making.

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We don't have a noted fullback. Therefore Avo should get a crack because in space he is a gun. He also has a passing game, but can still shit the bed when it comes to the end of sets. Let Burton and Johnson control the game, while he shred the staggered defensive line and is the last pass in an overlap.
1. Avo 2. Trot 3. Naden 4. Shoupp 5. Cotric 6. Burton 7. Johnson 8. Thompson 9. Hooker? 10. Prop? 11. Topine 12. RFM 13. Jackson 14. JMK 15. Hetherington 16. Ava 17. Doorey (First 2 backs in line when injuries occur = Okonbur, Allan. First 2 forwards Renouf and Elliot)

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got no idea what his best position would be.
His long kicking game was a concern in the first half, we struggled to get within striking range of the try line and failed to execute last tackle options when we did. I think the top 4 teams would have made us pay.
But credit where credit is due and he played well second half and started to find some high longer kicks landing down in their 10-20 which gave us a leg up with our defensive effort and giving us momentum.
I also think this is the first game where all the luck went our way (every other game appeared cursed)
He has continued to improve with each game. Id prefer he sayed in the halves , kept incrementally improving each week. May be better if or when the time comes if he was given a run at fullback.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get he has good evasive skills..
But how much experience has he had at fullback at any level?
I have heard plenty say to give him a run at the back, but what is that opinion based on?
Is it a nejerk reaction to Avo possibly not being included in the run on side unless he is at 1?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
His best position is five-eighth. He'd also make a good fullback and surprisingly is doing a really good job at halfback and improving every week.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
100% what I'm thinking, it's not a knock on Avo he's improving each week, but Burton is the clubs future and we have to give him every chance to develop. Having Johnson for a couple of years to steer the ship and allow Burton to play what he see's and take some pressure off him will help him immensely until he can become the senior playmaker.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Although he had a great game today I would still be trying to get SJ in at 7. The more quality and experienced players we can get into the side, the better we will be. Avo had a great game today and it will do so much for his confidence but I don't see him as a 7 at this stage, although he is doing a great job for us in the halves at the moment through necessity. His strength is his running and I think he would be better suited at fullback or centre where he has a bit more room to move.

Fullback is a tough position and it is yet to be seen how he goes defusing bombs, getting hammered bringing the ball back and organising our defence etc. Let's not forget he is only 20 years old and has gone straight from Flegg to 1st grade so he is learning the hard way

I'll probably get shouted down (especially after Avo's game today) but next year I'd have Avo at 14 off the bench (if we get SJ) . I still think Corey Allen can be our fullback and with a pack going forward and SJ and Burton setting up plays I think Allen can recapture the form he showed with Souths when he was on fire chiming into the backline setting up outside men.

Id have Avo coming off the bench just like Papenhausen was 2 years ago and cutting teams to shreds. I think Avo coming on when opposition forwards are tiring and throw him into an experienced backline with SJ, Burton, Naden, Fox, Cotric around him and he will cut loose. That's some exciting attacking options there

Give him a year like that and there is no reason he couldn't follow the same path as Papenhausen and become a superstar in whatever position he finally falls into

Whatever happens we've got a real good young prospect on our hands and if developed the right way, could be our next homegrown superstar. But let's put some experience around him first and let him develop naturally

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Although he had a great game today I would still be trying to get SJ in at 7. The more quality and experienced players we can get into the side, the better we will be. Avo had a great game today and it will do so much for his confidence but I don't see him as a 7 at this stage, although he is doing a great job for us in the halves at the moment through necessity. His strength is his running and I think he would be better suited at fullback or centre where he has a bit more room to move.

Fullback is a tough position and it is yet to be seen how he goes defusing bombs, getting hammered bringing the ball back and organising our defence etc. Let's not forget he is only 20 years old and has gone straight from Flegg to 1st grade so he is learning the hard way

I'll probably get shouted down (especially after Avo's game today) but next year I'd have Avo at 14 off the bench (if we get SJ) . I still think Corey Allen can be our fullback and with a pack going forward and SJ and Burton setting up plays I think Allen can recapture the form he showed with Souths when he was on fire chiming into the backline setting up outside men.

Id have Avo coming off the bench just like Papenhausen was 2 years ago and cutting teams to shreds. I think Avo coming on when opposition forwards are tiring and throw him into an experienced backline with SJ, Burton, Naden, Fox, Cotric around him and he will cut loose. That's some exciting attacking options there

Give him a year like that and there is no reason he couldn't follow the same path as Papenhausen and become a superstar in whatever position he finally falls into

Whatever happens we've got a real good young prospect on our hands and if developed the right way, could be our next homegrown superstar. But let's put some experience around him first and let him develop naturally
Averillo's too good to come off the bench. I think he's ready now and deserves a starting position, whether that's five-eighth or fullback (even halfback with how he's going). I think demoting him after the season he's had would be a pretty bad taste and I really can't see it happening.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo's too good to come off the bench. I think he's ready now and deserves a starting position, whether that's five-eighth or fullback (even halfback with how he's going). I think demoting him after the season he's had would be a pretty bad taste and I really can't see it happening.
agree. he won’t be a bench player. i think a running 5/8 suits him but would throw him in at fullback and sign SJ to mentor burto. once matt’s confident and dominant in a year or two and johnson’s contract is up, avo moves in to the 5/8 role to partner burton. heaps of fullbacks have moved to 5/8 and done so successfully, the only issue is what we then do with allen, meaney (if resigned)