Averillo is not a half or fullback - we might need a new half more than Cheese

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we could get by more with BBO, Deitz or even JMK at hooker than we can with Averillo, Flanagan, Lewis, or Wakeham as our half.

Burton needs help. Maybe he could survive with BBO at 7 but he would be the only option.

We desperately need a game manager - someone experienced and I'm starting to think we might need someone like Pearce even more than Cheese. I still wish we had signed Johnson. Can't understand why we didn't seem to chase Sezer. Lewis isn't a great half but he's better than Averillo so that's saying something about Averillo. Averillo's kicking game is f..king shit honestly. No passing game either so DEFINITELY NOT a half.

His ONLY strength / asset is his side step. He's a finisher, not a creator. He'll never be up there in the stats for try assists.

I don't know why some keep saying he's a fullback either (like they've watched him play). Does he have a passing game ? Not that we've seen even while playing in the halves. Can he organise the defensive line from fullback ? Is he any good at catching bombs ? Is he any good at chiming into the backline and backing up half breaks ? Haven't seen it. Is he any good at saving tries ? Is he a livewire like a Tedesco always around the ball ? Definitely not.

He does seem to be a very good goal kicker though so may need to be in our starting 13. It's either centre or wing if we want him in our starting 13 for his linebreak (step) ability and for his goal kicking.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really need to keep making the same thread over and over again every weekend?
You must be getting me mixed up. I never made a thread about Averillo. Comment yes, but thread no. Even this week there were people who still believed Averillo should be our 7 next year. After today's game I can't see how ANYONE can still believe that.

If you don't want to read my thread you know what to do.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish DCE wanted to link up with Baz... Would take him in a heartbeat to partner Burton.
I'd probably take the 7 from any other team in the comp because any of them would all be an upgrade on what we have now

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo was shocking today. Butchered a try with 4 on 2 overlap, kicked ball dead when we had the momentum after comeback with 2 tries and kicked nothing bombs to opposition when they stayed back expecting just that. He's become another version of Flanno, too scared to run the ball when the situation demanded it. His decision making and execution was terrible.
Lewis completely outplayed him. When a dud like Lewis is the best half in the club you know you're in trouble.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its unfortunate for Avo, It would have been better for his development to play fullback this year, a position he could have made his own for 2022.rather than waste a year in the halves in more or less stopgap role because Flanno proved to be underwhelming at best.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Avo was shocking today. Butchered a try with 4 on 2 overlap, kicked ball dead when we had the momentum after comeback with 2 tries and kicked nothing bombs to opposition when they stayed back expecting just that. He's become another version of Flanno, too scared to run the ball when the situation demanded it. His decision making and execution was terrible.
Lewis completely outplayed him. When a dud like Lewis is the best half in the club you know you're in trouble.
I dont think it's that he is scared, he just doesn't read the game well. And has limited kicking and tactical abilities.
Its not ideal ,Lewis probably being our best half,yet Wakeham,Flanno and Avo will remain for 2022 and Lewis is unlikely to be retained.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be getting me mixed up. I never made a thread about Averillo. Comment yes, but thread no. Even this week there were people who still believed Averillo should be our 7 next year. After today's game I can't see how ANYONE can still believe that.

If you don't want to read my thread you know what to do.
Not just today’s game ,he’s played 20 mins of footy,in one game he scored one set up one,but has done bugger all since,defensively woeful,his general kicking game ordinary at best,I really think we need someone else there,at this stage of his career,obvious he’s not up to it .

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not focused last couple of weeks, need the quick zips back

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly he is not a 1st grader 100%
Let alone a half
Bullshit, the kid can play, he’s just not a half. He’d be a really good centre. Go watch his lower grade highlights, was playing in the centers. Baz needs to decide who our two best centers will be out of Naden, Schoupp and Averillo. And please I don’t want to hear Cotric to centre. He’s a winger and only a winger. So far we only have three positions in our back line with quality players for next year. Your two wingers in JAC and Cotric and your 5/8th in Burton.
Still need another beast of a prop and an experience halfback. We got so many problems in many positions and we still haven’t even got a top number 9 to go with all this.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
Ppl was saying Mitch Pearce might be on the outed and if so he should be priority target number uno.
We need an organising half. A proper organiser, not flanno.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have what, 6,7 games left? Tell Hoppa thanks for your service. Move Averillo to Centre. And bring back Flanagan. Now I’m not his biggest fan, but say you won’t be dropped. Show us something. And just see how the kid goes. Averillo isn’t a halfbacks arsehole.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His 20 year ffs playing behind the worst pack in the comp and the worst team in comp. Not to mention it's his 1st full season playing halfback at nrl level with no pre season training at halfback under his belt. What do people expect from him. His got more talent in his pinky then flanno has in his entire body.

He has speed and he is a great runner. His kicking game isn't too bad plus his a handy goalkicker. People shouldn't under estimate what a full pre season will do for players at that age. Next year he will be fitter, stronger, faster and more experienced. Same as Scoupp at his age with another pre season under his belt will also come back fitter, stronger and faster.

Our team has speed to burn all over the park next year including the forward pack which will be fast for a pack also. Averllio at halfback adds to the speed we already have in the rest of team. Fuck this we "need an organising half" bullshit. You can't teach speed everything else can be taught. Give him a full pre season training at halfback with a better team around him. Remember good players make our players better. Burton and Dufty will make Averillo a better player. What do all 3 have in common SPEED.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he ain’t in the halves he ain’t going to be in the team. They didn’t go buy all these players to not have them in start line up. Dufty, JAC, cotric, nadan, Allan and burton. If averillo is 6 or 7 he won’t be anywhere near too team. He is rubbish average at best