Averillo - Finally Found His Spot

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Armadillo will only get better and better. He was thrown into a rubbish 1st grade side then moved from position to position. Finally a coach has done the right thing by him and found his natural position and that's Mick Potter.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To think so many people wanted to end the fullback experiment because he made a few bad decisions against Penrith.. In that same game he also made multiple breaks and looked a much more confident and dangerous player that was finally able to utilise his acceleration and athleticism.

Since then he's come on leaps and bounds. His positional play, defensive work and fitness have been impressive considering he's only had three games at fullback.

I'm glad he's finally realising his potential with us and not with another club which has happened too many times the last several years..
Too many have a hate boner for him, bet there's a few on here waiting for him to have a poor game so they can come out and attack him again haha.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many have a hate boner for him, bet there's a few on here waiting for him to have a poor game so they can come out and attack him again haha.
I have been critical of him in the past. More so in the coaching of him and the positions he has been selected. Than him as a person or player.

Reality is he does not have the creative instincts or game to be a half at any level. He is defensively not up to NRL standard as a centre. It’s early days still. But I do like what I see in him as a 1.

He is suspect under the high ball but that can be practiced and coached. His defence while not perfect is holding up ok. Once again it’s mostly positional play where he needs to grow. This can all be coached. His defensive positional play is better than Dufty who has been doing that role for years.

One huge area where he is bringing value we have lacked for years Is support play. We actually have someone there now.

While he doesn’t have the creativity or ball playing ability of a half. He has enough of that in his game to develop into a good fullback. Hard work and good coaching we might have found our fullback.

I hope he can kick on and do well.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been critical of him in the past. More so in the coaching of him and the positions he has been selected. Than him as a person or player.

Reality is he does not have the creative instincts or game to be a half at any level. He is defensively not up to NRL standard as a centre. It’s early days still. But I do like what I see in him as a 1.

He is suspect under the high ball but that can be practiced and coached. His defence while not perfect is holding up ok. Once again it’s mostly positional play where he needs to grow. This can all be coached. His defensive positional play is better than Dufty who has been doing that role for years.

One huge area where he is bringing value we have lacked for years Is support play. We actually have someone there now.

While he doesn’t have the creativity or ball playing ability of a half. He has enough of that in his game to develop into a good fullback. Hard work and good coaching we might have found our fullback.

I hope he can kick on and do well.
Averillo has come on leaps and bounds in his catching of the high ball. From my infrequent viewing at training It was really the only major deficiency in his game that was obvious. Practise, endless practise, can fix many things and he can be taught fullback defence structure and talking, things that a good fullback has to do. Potter knows it and can teach him, which he seems to be doing via Turner.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows Barrett had NFI about anything. Had almost 2 seasons with us and never once thought about giving him a shot at fullback. His stubbornness was the end of him.
Because in his head he's imagined the way we should play instead of coaching to the teams strengths.

NATE_91

Waterboy
Reaction score
Averillo has been a revalation at fullback. Obviously those high balls from Burton at training has allowed him to develop his game immensely.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To put it in perspective Jake is aged 21 so he could have still played Jersey Flegg this year.
He is only going to mature and get better and his body is still growing.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I always said 2023 will be when we return to finals with 2024 potentially top 4
We've finally started to find our squad.
With a full pre season Avo will get better at fullback. Burton and flanno will have a better combination plus we get kikau with his damaging runs and the craftiness of Mahoney at the ruck.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To think so many people wanted to end the fullback experiment because he made a few bad decisions against Penrith.. In that same game he also made multiple breaks and looked a much more confident and dangerous player that was finally able to utilise his acceleration and athleticism.

Since then he's come on leaps and bounds. His positional play, defensive work and fitness have been impressive considering he's only had three games at fullback.

I'm glad he's finally realising his potential with us and not with another club which has happened too many times the last several years..
Yeah good point Ben. I remember after the Penrith game you came out and defended Jake highlighting the positives in his first game at fullback. I too thought the criticism he got was harsh. Kids done well considering he trained in the off-season as a half.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
3/4 of our spine is complete for the future. Averillo is 21
Burton is 22
Mahoney is 24
Future is bright and long.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Baz was a former half and saw Averillo as a half. Potter was a fullback and sees Averillo as a fullback. Perhaps Mick has a good eye for figuring out what position the young kids coming through are best suited at. Kiraz, Corey Allan, Braidon Burns, BBO I’m keen to see what Potter does with these guys and where he sees their long term positions in the side. Does he see BBO as a dummy half or half? Is King or TPJ better suited at lock than prop?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz was a former half and saw Averillo as a half. Potter was a fullback and sees Averillo as a fullback. Perhaps Mick has a good eye for figuring out what position the young kids coming through are best suited at. Kiraz, Corey Allan, Braidon Burns, BBO I’m keen to see what Potter does with these guys and where he sees their long term positions in the side. Does he see BBO as a dummy half or half? Is King or TPJ better suited at lock than prop?
I'm not a former half nor a former fullback, I'm just a former junior league back rower who has never coached, just watch the game intensely for the last 40 odd years

BUT IF I & MANY OTHERS on here could see that the young man's best chance of being a first grader was in the fullback position, especially in a team that has had no stand out fullback for years, HOW IN THE F@CK did Baz & his band of cronies NOT.

Sometimes what you are trying so hard to find, is right in front of you - staring you smack bang in the face.

It's just a shame that he didn't get to start his first grade apprenticeship at fullback earlier in order to be more advanced right now.

Thank God Mick Can See What We All Saw.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not a former half nor a former fullback, I'm just a former junior league back rower who has never coached, just watch the game intensely for the last 40 odd years

BUT IF I & MANY OTHERS on here could see that the young man's best chance of being a first grader was in the fullback position, especially in a team that has had no stand out fullback for years, HOW IN THE F@CK did Baz & his band of cronies NOT.

Sometimes what you are trying so hard to find, is right in front of you - staring you smack bang in the face.

It's just a shame that he didn't get to start his first grade apprenticeship at fullback earlier in order to be more advanced right now.

Not making excuses for Barrett but on the few occasions I attended training and watched Averillo trying (and failing) to catch the high ball I wouldn't have played him at fullback either. He was also one of, if not the, quietest players on the field, hardly ever said anything, which is not desirable attribute for a fullback. He has obviously been working on his catching, but he is still church mouse quiet on the field, needs to find his voice, that comes from confidence.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

Be happy Barrett did play him at Halfback. It's taught him lots of things, and top shelf halfbacks need to be a 3rd playmaker. He may not have gained that skillset without being forced to play halfback.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus tweeted earlier this year BBO was a 7 first then 6&9. He is growing in statue and confidence and was very good on the weekend.