News Averillo eyeing move to Dolphins

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alamoti has always been slated as a second rower coming through, rather than a centre.

Averillo needs to be retained. Too valuable to simply let go, and can cover the entire backline for Origin and injuries.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep fair point mate.

But as I said, we didn’t let him go. We made him an offer but he chose to go to the storm
If you had the option to play for a club which came 2nd last and then the spoon I consecutive years - or play for a club which contested 2/3 previous grand finals for similiar pay - I think the decision is obvious.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had the option to play for a club which came 2nd last and then the spoon I consecutive years - or play for a club which contested 2/3 previous grand finals for similiar pay - I think the decision is obvious.
True. But the question is when Paps is back, where does Meaney fit in? The decision is not that obvious when it’s a matter of playing regular NRL or QLD cup

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have too many meh players on 300-400k.
Avo is worth keeping at 250k in my opinion. Can be the hero in NSW cup and cover injuries in first grade. That is unless you want to stay in the bottom 4, in that case it would be wise to keep signing fringe first graders for 400k

Reactions: CCC

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who?
We havent got a centre who has played a full season at centre do we let alone a proven one

Im confused is it 23 and 24 or he infinitely contracted?
Cant have gun players everywhere. I’d rather spend the money on forwards and a half.

we’re flush with outside backs that can play centre.
alamoti
Kiraz
Avo
Burns
Wilson
Skelton
EQW
Xerri

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't you think there has to be some concerns over Alamoti's acceleration and top speed? He obviously has skills but i don't think i've seen a good centre that is so slow. Even someone like Penisini has a similar body shape but he would leave ala for dead across the turf.
SLOW-A-MOTI

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
surely we keep averillo and let go of Alomati...averillo offers so much more

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he goes, just drop him.. who cares.. our season is done. Bring kiraz in one spot and play wilson or skelton.. either that or play that big qld centre. That goes for alamoti if he signs elsewhere.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

But so many people say the decision will come back to haunt us. That’s wrong.

It was his decision. Not ours

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No wonder he was a bit off the boil on Sunday.

Ciraldope is a dead set idiot. Letting great young talent go and paying overs for established stars or taking a punt on players who have been out of the game for years due to a drug ban is no way to build a club.

He is digging this club deeper into the dirt. It’s fucking Groundhog Day, baby!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Something tells me we’re going to regret this. Can’t keep ‘em all but unfortunately.
No reason we should be letting great young talents like Avo go when we are paying overs to sign luxury players like Kikau and Crichton who don’t even address our biggest areas of concern. Ciraldope is fucking cooked… and so is the club, tbh.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAKE AVERILLO AND PAUL ALAMOTI EYE MOVES TO DOLPHINS, COWBOYS

via Telegraph Sport Micheal Carrayannis and Brent Reed

Both starting centres for the Bulldogs are on the market, Michael Carayannis and Brent Read reveal their likely destinations for 2024.

The Dolphins are closing in on the signature of Bulldogs flyer Jake Averillo.

Sport Con understands that Averillo met key Dolphin figures including coach Wayne Bennett last week and the fledgling club has offered the speedster a three-year deal worth in excess of $1.2 million.

Averillo and Bulldogs centre partner Paul Alamoti are both off contract at the end of the season and up for grabs.

Canterbury are fighting hard to keep them both but they appear to be fighting a losing cause where Averillo is concerned while the Bulldogs have signed Bronson Xerri and Stephen Crichton for next season. .

Alamoti also has a decision to make. He has already spoken to North Queensland coach Todd Payten as he weighs up his future at Belmore.

Averillo appears the more likely to depart after talks with the Dolphins. The Dolphins have already signed Brisbane centre Herbie Farnsworth for next season but they badly need more speed in their outside backs and Averillo would give them a strike weapon on the other side of the field.

His departure would no doubt incite a mixed response from Bulldogs fans. Like Alamoti, he is a local junior who played for the Bankstown Sports/Moorebank Rams club.

He has played more than 65 games for the Bulldogs and scored 26 tries. This year, having found a home in the centres, he has crossed for seven tries in 14 appearances in a Bulldogs side that has struggled to cross the stripe.

At 22, he has his best years in front of him. They may be at the Dolphins.

Dolphins veteran centre Brenko Lee has been linked with a Super League move.
Understands, appears, likely, maybe, dog shit article as usual from these vile journos. He’s going nowhere, bulldog for life

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed.

But so many people say the decision will come back to haunt us. That’s wrong.

It was his decision. Not ours
Point taken.

But did we do enough to keep him?

And Meaney has covered the wings, stand-off and the 14 jumper when Papps played at the back.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would not blame him one bit, imagine a coach favouring Perham over him.