Australian test match war dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I love the way that some Pacific Islander based teams in Rugby League do a war dance before a match. For me it pays respect to their elders, respect to where they came from, respect to their heritage, respect to the land they have a connection with and is bloody brilliant to watch.

During the All Stars matches, I loved the Aboriginal war dance that was performed by the traditional performers and the team. I would love to see the Australian test team incorporate this, it would be a huge step in bringing Aboriginal/Indigenous people closer to us as they should be (due to the impact sport has towards people) and would be imo such huge sign of respect to and for these great people.

Even though some players/fans might not be of an Aboriginal/Indigenous background they should still pay respect to the land we are blessed to live on and in saying that, the traditional owners should also represent their land when Australia plays in international matches. Some people might not like this idea but I personally don't see a problem in it and I love to watch traditional acts they perform and learn about the stories behind them.

I'd also like to see this for games like origin, city vs country and the grandfinal to pay respect for using the land and for them representing their land (state of origin and city vs country has the same idea of land representation).

What are your thoughts on this? (Please don't vent negative things or be racist towards Indigenous people its not needed here)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I quite look forward to watching these War dances.

If the All Blacks are playing, I generally watch the dance & skip watching the game as I don't like union.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Australia had a "dance" like 50 years ago ... I seen it on some history/centenary dvd ... May be on you tube somewhere ...

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember the Warriors vs Manly grand final, there was a giant crowd Haka that was very good to watch and the Indigenous people welcoming them and doing a smoking ceremony and the explaining the story behind it which was also awesome to watch.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Australia had a "dance" like 50 years ago ... I seen it on some history/centenary dvd ... May be on you tube somewhere ...
I saw this aswell, the idea was good but the execution of it wasn't really spot on.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea Nano. I've also thought they should have indigenous ceremonial dance pre-match in the big games but the problem is, I think it's sacred to Aborigines so the whole team couldn't do it, not that they'd learn how anyway, but the local Aboriginal people of where the game is played could do it. It wouldn't work in the same way as the Haka though, which is basically meant to scare the opposition in war, or a footy match in this case.

The Maori culture is much more ingrained in New Zealand society than Aborignal culture is to us and it's a shame. Many people think of aborigines as best ignored, but agree we could learn a lot from them, particularly about looking after the land.

there have been a few games i've attended where the local indigenous people welcome everyone and say something aout the place. I like it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't see the point of it. How many of our team have real aboriginal heritage?

I'm over the white guilt.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They wouldn't have to perform it, it would be more the Indigenous people performing it while the team huddles behind them and stands by them.

silva

Utility
Reaction score

Thurston, Inglis, Scott, Thaiday, Hodges...pretty much the best players

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm saying it shouldn't matter what the players heritages are when they play, the Indigenous people should be able to perform an act to mark that they also represent our land since they are the traditional owners and they are spiritually welcoming and engaging in the battle about to take place for or on our land.

It might not make sense nor be important to you though but to me as an Australian keeping the Indigenous ways alive and spread is very important, they are great people and deserve to have a special part of big events that represent our land, states and regions since they where originally doing it long ago.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
But then, which dance do they do? the dance that is native to the 'land' that we are on? the dance that is native to the captain of the team? create a generic dance?

Each tribe, from each land, has their own war dance - so agreeing on which one to perform (for lack of a better word) may cause people/tribes to get upset because you are using a dance that is foreign to the land in which you are playing.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
The thing is, those war dances you're seeing - the haka, siva tau, sipi tau - they're traditional war dances that have been part of those cultures for a very long time. They exist and have a purpose outside of the sporting arena. Australia has nothing like this and anything they did would be a token effort without the heart, pride and meaning.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But then, which dance do they do? the dance that is native to the 'land' that we are on? the dance that is native to the captain of the team? create a generic dance?

Each tribe, from each land, has their own war dance - so agreeing on which one to perform (for lack of a better word) may cause people/tribes to get upset because you are using a dance that is foreign to the land in which you are playing.
That is something people seem to miss about our indigenous people - clans had different languages, beliefs, dances etc.

We already have this silly "welcome to country" malarkey every time there is a sporting event. Surely that is enough. Should the Aztecs sacrifice a virgin every time Mexico plays a soccer match? Perhaps the Inuits club a few seals before an ice hockey match? I'm not much of fan of the Haka either, but if the kiwis want to do it, it's up to them.

And don't get me started on this stupid holding kids hands as teams run out. I might start another thread on that sometime... :grinning:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Thats a good point, I think it would be best that the people originally from/close the area the game is being played perform an act. As to doing it for the whole land, the Allstars game featured a dance that members of the Indigenous team helped perform and there didn't seem to be a problem with it even though members of the team where from all parts of Australia.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
The thing is, those war dances you're seeing - the haka, siva tau, sipi tau - they're traditional war dances that have been part of those cultures for a very long time. They exist and have a purpose outside of the sporting arena. WHITE Australia has nothing like this and anything they did would be a token effort without the heart, pride and meaning.
*fixed

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Umm the point is to honour and respect the traditional owners of the country we inhabit. It's not about guilt but respect tbh. Aboriginal culture has a lot of positives if people took the time to see it.

Re: Not having many aboriginal players, this is why the Kiwis always look funny doing it. Well the white ones anyway. Like i said, have the local people do it.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is, those war dances you're seeing - the haka, siva tau, sipi tau - they're traditional war dances that have been part of those cultures for a very long time. They exist and have a purpose outside of the sporting arena. Australia has nothing like this and anything they did would be a token effort without the heart, pride and meaning.
WOW. Really?! The Australian Aborigines are the longest continuous race of people in history. I think they have a few dances too. Lol.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Edroy, it brings a good feeling on the inside seeing someone else who also cares about our Indigenous people and their ways. I always look forward to the Allstars game especially when the Indigenous team wins, it gives some of the Indigenous people who feel left out and down a reason to smile and know they still got it. Its a big win for them I feel even though its a sporting event.

Status
Not open for further replies.