News Australian Schoolboy Gun 7 Snubs Gus

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aussie Schoolboys’ gun No.7 snubs Gus’ Bulldogs to stay loyal to Cowboys: Transfer Whispers

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
January 13th, 2023 12:07 pm
North Queensland young gun No.7 Tom Duffy has knocked back an approach from Bulldogs boss Phil Gould to stick loyal with the Cowboys.
The son of Broncos legend Wendell Sailor, Tristan Sailor is in line to earn a top 30 contract with Brisbane after making the most of a train and trial deal at Red Hill.

North Queensland young gun No.7 Tom Duffy has knocked back an approach from Bulldogs boss Phil Gould to stick loyal with the Cowboys.

The Daily Telegraph reported Gould and the Bulldogs identified Duffy as the best young halfback in the country, but he has ruled out a move to Sydney.

The former Australian Schoolboy and Queensland under 19s star reportedly has no interest in leaving North Queensland, the club he supported as a kid growing up.

The Bulldogs approached the Cowboys about the potential for an early release, but Duffy chose to bide his time and work under Chad Townsend and Tom Dearden.

“100 per cent. I’ve grown up here, all my family is from here and I’ve supported the Cowboys since I can remember,” Duffy told The Telegraph.

“I definitely want to stay here and if I can, I’ll be staying here as long as I can.”

The 19-year-old prodigy is content to learn from the Cowboys generals as he forges a path to the NRL in North Queensland.

“When they first came back I sort of took a back seat, it was a bit surreal to train next to them,” Duffy said.

Cowboys halfback Tom Duffy is keen to stay in North Queensland.
Cowboys halfback Tom Duffy is keen to stay in North Queensland.Source: News Corp Australia

“But they’re very forthcoming in giving lots of information and all I have to do is ask a question, and sometimes they’ll just come over and tip me up.

“As soon as those older fellas came back, just the speed they do things, their communication, everything they do is just such a high standard, so I’m just learning off them and trying to get up to that speed.”

Duffy will target regular footy in the Blackhawks Hostplus Cup side as he learns his trade as an NRL playmaker.

“Whether I start in the under-21s and work my way in, or if I can put my best foot forward in pre-season and get a start in Q-Cup, either one I’ll be very happy with,” Duffy said.“Toddy (Payten) challenged me earlier in the pre-season to work on my fitness so I’m taking that in the front of my mind and that’s something I’m really trying to work on this year.

“And getting my defence right comes from getting bigger in the gym, so getting my nutrition, my hydration, and anything I can do to put on a few more kilos so I can get that goal of playing Q Cup.”

Bulldogs boss Phil Gould tried to poach Duffy from the Cowboys.
Bulldogs boss Phil Gould tried to poach Duffy from the Cowboys

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like an orphan saying he wouldn't want parents

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol you really have to laugh at how pathetic this shit is, these fucking “journalists” rifling through the rubbish bin trying to find something negative to write about Gus and the dogs. Fucking paper thin. and surprise surprise it’s written by fox sports.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
these fucking “journalists”
You know the Dogs are on the rise when the grog-drenched guttersnipes start getting their panties in a twist.
We can finally lose the last remnants of the Greenberg doctrine of media appeasement and fully return to the Dogs' DNA of utter contempt of hack-"journos".
Gus plays these clowns like a harp - and they absolutely hate it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As far as I saw from Duffy's quotes, he personally makes no mention of any club except the Cowboys who he says he plans to stay loyal to. It's a big extrapolation to say that he's personally snubbed Gould. And even if he did, the main focus of the story isn't close to the title, it's mostly about a player dedicated to improving enough to progress in the grades.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You know the Dogs are on the rise when the grog-drenched guttersnipes start getting their panties in a twist.
We can finally lose the last remnants of the Greenberg doctrine of media appeasement and fully return to the Dogs' DNA of utter contempt of hack-"journos".
Gus plays these clowns like a harp - and they absolutely hate it.