Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not aimed at you Natboy.

This isn't a fucking popularity contest, it's a contest of ideas and policy but Australians are so swamped with LNP bias and agenda that they forget to listen to actual policy or to research actual policy.

The amount of people I personally know who believed the entire Death Tax LIE last election is staggering. The amount of people who "don't really like Shorten" and voted as such is staggering. The scary thing is, most of these people I'm talking about would (in theory, based on policy) have been far better off with a Shorten government then this LNP one.
True. My stance has always been to vote on policy. I picked on Shorten 'cause I don't like the guy, but I still preferences Labor over Libs last election because Labor's policies more aligned with my own.

But I'll always be a Centrist. I've never found one party that I can fully align with. Closest I have found is the Science party and they'll never be an influencial party.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
True. My stance has always been to vote on policy. I picked on Shorten 'cause I don't like the guy, but I still preferences Labor over Libs last election because Labor's policies more aligned with my own.

But I'll always be a Centrist. I've never found one party that I can fully align with. Closest I have found is the Science party and they'll never be an influencial party.
Yeah I've voted both ways but I can't see a world where I vote for the LNP in the foreseeable future with how they've handled stuff like the NBN etc

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It shits me to tears how many Australians care more about American politics than what's happening in our backyard.
I think it's because American politics is a show. Everything in America politics is all showmanship. It's all parading around ranting about things with passion. Meanwhile Australian politicians to the most part talk policy. There's soundbites and mottos but to the most part it's actual politics. Not the sham the Americans often push.

But that's not as interesting.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It shits me to tears how many Australians care more about American politics than what's happening in our backyard.
In fairness Tony Abbott was our Trump and he garnered a lot of attention during his presidency. Even receiving honourable episode segments in American late night comedy shows

So given how much of a circus Trump was its hard to look away

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it's because American politics is a show. Everything in America politics is all showmanship. It's all parading around ranting about things with passion. Meanwhile Australian politicians to the most part talk policy. There's soundbites and mottos but to the most part it's actual politics. Not the sham the Americans often push.

100% it's literally a Reality TV show at this point in time

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There were grounds for the Mediscare campaign when the LNP tried to outsource the payments aspect of Medicare, no?

Hard to say, I can't see a reason why they would have been worse or markedly better. I like to think the Economic Recovery Plan would have been handled better. Simply based on how some of the LNP aspects have been baffling and based on how Labour handled the GFC. What do you think?
It’s definitely debatable. I think overall federal Labor have been supportive of the Libs actions with covid which bucks the trend of opposition on both sides being difficult for the sake of being difficult. If the the states border closures are anything to go by however, I think it would have been handled poorly economically and people would be on welfare for years to come which some like the idea of

Exactly why I requested this thread be created today. As someone that spends a lot of time in the U.S and have interests there I do follow U.S politics a bit but prefer to know what’s happening here

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In fairness Tony Abbott was our Trump and he garnered a lot of attention during his presidency. Even receiving honourable episode segments in American late night comedy shows

So given how much of a circus Trump was its hard to look away
Last time I was in the US my colleagues over there asked if Australians looked down on Americans due to Trump. I said, "we find it funny but we had a guy called Tony Abbott"

One of them said, "wasn't that the nutjob with the big ears?"

It's good to know that crazy makes you memorable.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly why I requested this thread be created today. As someone that spends a lot of time in the U.S and have interests there I do follow U.S politics a bit but prefer to know what’s happening here
Yeah for sure, as one of the Super Powers it's good to keep an eye on it and especially for people like you who have vested interests there - But I don't understand why it seems there are so many Australians who can tell me more about Pelosi and Cruz than Jim Chalmers and Sussan Ley

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still waiting for my franking credits! :grinning:
There was also the Adani mine lie. They got wedged by both the liberals and the greens on that.

Labor said they can't make a decision on the adani mine until they see all the agreements made with the government. And that at the moment they have no position.

This turned into Labor is going to cancel the Adani mine (for liberal leaning voters)

And

Labor isn't doing enough for climate change (for greens leaning voters)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the Liberal Party is still recovering from what Turnbull "achieved". Snowy 2, Diesel subs, NBN, The Guardian. The list goes on.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I've voted both ways but I can't see a world where I vote for the LNP in the foreseeable future with how they've handled stuff like the NBN etc
They have turned so many issues of national infrustructure, climate change, medibank etc into political footballs just for points of difference to sway voters.

These issues should be assessed in the national good not political gain.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think the Liberal Party is still recovering from what Turnbull "achieved". Snowy 2, Diesel subs, NBN, The Guardian. The list goes on.
Saw a doco on the diesel subs the other day.

What an expensive disaster that is going to turn out to be. The french dont even have any construction blueprints on how to convert their nuclear subs they use. They can't work out how to make it run undetected on diesel.

Still a decade away before we even get the first few.

China would knock them out in 20 minutes or less.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Saw a doco on the diesel subs the other day.

What an expensive disaster that is going to turn out to be. The french dont even have any construction blueprints on how to convert their nuclear subs they use. They can't work out how to make it run undetected on diesel.

Still a decade away before we even get the first few.

China would knock them out in 20 minutes or less.
I remember hearing Alan Jones calling for it to be abandoned from the start. He kept up the fight but to no avail

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah for sure, as one of the Super Powers it's good to keep an eye on it and especially for people like you who have vested interests there - But I don't understand why it seems there are so many Australians who can tell me more about Pelosi and Cruz than Jim Chalmers and Sussan Ley

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Also there is more analysis of their politics.

Here its just scandal to next scandal or stuff up and no policy position. And our pollies are a very dull lot who can't put 3 words together without umm or ergh.

The Libs just have the steady as she goes: don't do much approach.

Labor have the scared kid on the block who wants to make change but can't say bc a ton of bricks will come down on them from msm.

There's no forward planning or policies created for Australia's future...just barely enough till the next election cycle which starts every 2 years.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no forward planning or policies created for Australia's future...
Last election

Renewable investment
Franking credits gone because we cant afford it anymore, the policy was even adjusted after protests from the public about it affecting lower incomes from dividends
Goneski
Cancer treatment

There was a few future planning policies there. People chose to vote against it

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last election

Renewable investment
Franking credits gone because we cant afford it anymore, the policy was even adjusted after protests from the public about it affecting lower incomes from dividends
Goneski
Cancer treatment

There was a few future planning policies there. People chose to vote against it
Yes sorry I meant the current Govt. No forward planning.

Labor had ideas but they always get knocked down by Murdoch front page scare tactics.

A level of strangeness I found in voters was child care workers only get $23 p.h. and Labor proposed an immediate wage rise to put on level pegging with retail workers and some voted against their own interests and pay packet. Go figure. I might add this was in Barnaby Joyce's electorate who after all the scandals he was involved in, actually increased his majority lol

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes sorry I meant the current Govt. No forward planning.

Labor had ideas but they always get knocked down by Murdoch front page scare tactics.

A level of strangeness I found in voters was child care workers only get $23 p.h. and Labor proposed an immediate wage rise to put on level pegging with retail workers and some voted against their own interests and pay packet. Go figure. I might add this was in Barnaby Joyce's electorate who after all the scandals he was involved in, actually increased his majority lol
No one cares about barnabys scandals, that’s his life. He represents his constituency well. That’s all that matters

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No one cares about barnabys scandals, that’s his life. He represents his constituency well. That’s all that matters
Examples please.

Status
Not open for further replies.