Australian Open 2010 (Concluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murray down in the da first set.... lol another pommy choker!!!

BONZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
Murray down in the da first set.... lol another pommy choker!!!
Very good game so far. A few quality rallies.

Cillic wont he first set 6-3 and behind in the second set 3-5.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Get a sense of humor plebs. Anyone see Leconte play in the World Team Tennis thing in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago? Great natured bloke and very entertaining.

Jim Courier - very good commentator.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
woohoo justine!!

i don't really care who wins this current game, as long as tsonga can beat him in the final... if he can get past federer lol

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
henri leconte is awesome. so is jo-wilfried tsonga. :grinning:

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hahahah. Marty gave me a clip of his commentating. I love him lmao, he sounds hilarious. And this match on atm is fkn funny.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Henri Leconte is tops... funny as a circus with some of his calls.

Courier is good as well, that's why he's a regular.

The other night Leconte was coming up with some choice calls.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murray finds braveheart within to make final

GREG BAUM
January 29, 2010
ONE of the pastimes shared by Australia and Great Britain is a collective dwelling upon the next likely tennis champion, without which the historical claim of each country as a heartland of the game continues to falter.

For the first hour of last night's Australian Open first semi-final, it appeared that destiny would desert Great Britain and Andy Murray. He lost his first set for the tournament, to unsung but hardly unsprung Croat Marin Cilic, whereupon he howled at where the moon might have been. But, at length, Cilic's Herculean toils in this tournament told on him, Murray's fitness asserted itself, and he prevailed in four sets over three hours.

For Murray, it will be his second major final. He also becomes the first Brit in an Australian Open final since John Lloyd in 1977. Throughout Australia's years of yearning for a successor to Mark Edmondson, it little occurred to anyone that a Pom might trump in. Moreover, Murray has a winning record against tonight's other semi-finalists, Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. But in his only previous major final, the 1998 US Open, Federer prevailed.

Murray's signed off last night with a shot that perhaps only Federer could play, lunging at a forehand that appeared to have passed him, but which he instead sent back around the netpost for a winner. It appeared to shock even him. It matched an equally improbable and inspired shot in the second set when Murray ran down a Cilic lob, swivelled and hit a winning pass.

It broke Cilic's serve for the first time in the match, and turned it irrevocably. Murray let forth the most primordial roar heard from a Scotsman since the Battle of Bannockburn. ''Honestly, I actually practise this shot quite a lot,'' he said later.

About Murray, there has long been a sense of ''when, not if''. He had taken the classic journey to the top, risen steadily through the rankings, was established in the top 10 and already played a major final. He devoted himself slavishly to his fitness, so often a decisive advantage in the first major after the off-season lay-off. His progress here had been rapid and economical; he had not lost a set. His longest game had been shorter than his opponent's shortest.

All of England was on his case; it has had no major winner in the Open era, none since Fred Perry 74 years ago. The balance of the boisterous centre court crowd last night also was on side. Perhaps it was because of a sense that if a Brit was to appropriate Australia's national title, it would be an exquisite and acceptable irony that he came from Scotland. Perhaps it was just that he deserved it.

Cilic and Murray were made for a good match last night. Neither is a slugger in the modern style, but rather depends on guile and craft. Each demonstrated a willingness to steal into the net, and a faculty for playing volleys, yet was capable from the backcourt. It meant that their game was tactically sophisticated, like chess, and studied in chess-like silence by the crowd. No shot ever was hit for mere hitting's sake, but always with the next in mind.

At 198cm and flagpole thin, Cilic is all reach and leverage. In the first set, Murray found that although he could fashion openings in his opponent's game, he could not take advantage of them. Cilic's game then was as palindromic as his name; whichever way Murray went at it, it came out the same. Cilic sealed the set with running forehand cross-court shot from one corner of the court to the other, past Murray's flailing racquet, a stirring shot. So Murray lost his first set for the tournament.

The change, when it came, was unannounced. Murray was still muttering fierce imprecations to himself when he discovered inspiration within desperation. Instantly, the momentum reversed. Murray grew in confidence, attacked the net more, set the terms. Cilic lost his range, by only a few degrees, but crucially.

For the first hour, Cilic's gruelling progress through this tournament appeared not to matter; he seemed as indefatigable as only a 21-year-old can be. But it did tell. Cilic's game grew ragged, his serve vulnerable. He still reached, but it hurt. Murray's fitness became crucial. The outcome became inevitable.

''He was clearly tired,'' Murray said. ''But we're going to have some more great matches in the future.''

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tsonga dreams of major upset

PETER HANLON
January 29, 2010

It was almost 1.30am when the question was put to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga about his capacity to handle the occasion of a grand slam semi-final against the No.1 player in the world, so he could be forgiven a little dreaming. But the Frenchman knows his best hope against Roger Federer tonight is to truly believe, ''Why not indeed?''

Tsonga's progression to the last four was sealed with a second consecutive five-set win early yesterday, against Novak Djokovic. The 10th-seeded Frenchman had never played a five-setter in a grand slam. He is now two from two.

''What do I have to do? I have to play my best tennis,'' Tsonga said of what it will take to repeat his effort of two years ago by reaching the final.

He at least knows he has done it once; the pair has met just twice, but Tsonga rolled Federer in Montreal last year after trailing 1-5 in the deciding set.

''Yeah, of course I know I can do that, but it was completely different,'' Tsonga said. ''Now I have to win in three sets, and it's gonna be difficult, for sure.''

The notion of experience was something Tsonga had raised before taking on Djokovic, flagging that the Serb might have the edge in a department that can be so crucial at the sharp end of a grand slam event. After winning 7-6 (10-8), 6-7 (5-7), 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 he was able to reassess.

''You know, it's good to have experience, but for that you have to win, you have to play before, you know?'' he said. ''Roger has experience because he won, you know, like 15 or 16 grand slam. But he won the first one … so I think at this level you never know what's [going to] happen.''

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serena drags strapped body kicking and screaming into another decider

LINDA PEARCE
January 29, 2010
Serena Williams screamed. She bellowed. She willed herself on. Her battered body might be struggling to carry the four-time Australian Open champion to what would be a 12th major championship and equal the revered Billie Jean King, but now only her old, fierce rival Justine Henin stands in the way.

The Chinese challenge withered on semi-final day as top-seeded Williams outlasted Li Na 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-1) in more than two hours, and then Henin, playing just her second comeback tournament, outclassed hapless Zheng Jie 6-0, 6-1 in less than one. Established champions 2, aspirational Chinese 0.

''I am happy I was able to pull it out - it was really close,'' Williams said in a statement before returning to the court with her sister Venus to qualify for today's doubles final, through a 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) defeat of veterans Rennae Stubbs and Lisa Raymond.

Later Williams said of Henin: ''She's a little more calm, but she's also kind of quite intense. She says allez a lot, so I think it's kind of fun.'' Only once before has Williams successfully defended a grand slam singles title, back at Wimbledon in 2003, and the last woman to win consecutive Opens was Jennifer Capriati in 2001-02. Yet although Williams's history at Melbourne Park has been reliable for its odd-year triumphs, there is nothing remotely unusual about seeing the world No.1 back at the big dance again. Five semis. Five wins.

Williams leads 7-6 overall, but Henin has a 4-2 advantage in majors, including the past three. After all this time, this will be their first final.

''It's my first grand slam since I'm back, and we're already there. So it's more than a dream,'' Henin said. ''I mean, I'm so happy to play against her because if I want to win another grand slam, I'll have to beat the best player of the world. And that's just the biggest challenge I could get. I have to be honest, I didn't really expect that. But now that's a reality that is coming. I will try to be at my best.''

The American's right thigh is heavily strapped, as well as her left calf, and her movement is not what it might be until the times when it is absolutely required. But after Wednesday's monumental comeback from a set and 0-4 down in her quarter-final against Victoria Azarenka, she returned to slightly safer ground yesterday. Her serve helped. Williams hit an ace to close out the first set, and a second-serve ace to finish off the match. There were only two service breaks.

''For me it's [the final] still 50-50 because it's a very difficult match for both of them,'' said Henin's coach Carlos Rodriguez, who noted Williams's ability to run and run at crucial points. ''She took the ball unbelievably. She is too strong in that situation because she's a champion.''

Li knows it, having faced that serve, witnessed that determination, seen the difference between what she will now be (top 10) and where Williams is (on top).

''I think I have to practise much, much more the serve. I have break point, but she just play ace,'' said the first-time major semi-finalist, whose persistence was evident against the other Williams sister, Venus, the previous day.

And China? ''I mean, was first time two Chinese player same time play semi-final in grand slam. Good for both player,'' Li said.

''Of course, I think also good for China tennis.''

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
woot woot murrays through. if he faces tsonga i think he'll win but if roger gets through i believe his exp will prevail

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Girls section : Justine Henin or Kim Clijsters, outsiders being the William sisters
Guys section : Roger Federer/Andy Murray/Andy Rod****

Rafa imo isnt fit enought to win this slam. Since his injury he looks a bit shakey
my tips :grinning: from day 1 :p

still holding strong. I'm tipping Andy Murray cuz i wont him to win, but realistically Federer will be the strong favourite.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't stand either of the Williams sisters.

They are ghetto trash who belong in the slums.

The sooner they f*ck off the better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.