Australian Open 2010 (Concluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Watching post-match conferences are a little different.

D

dogs_4 lyf

Well depends on your mood. Like if you beaten me Slippery I might abuse you because I'm pissed off. :p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh he used to before, but the last few years he has given credit were credit is due.

Its people like the william sisters who say, 'i let them win, or i just played poorly and they played okay'

its like they are unbeatable or some ****

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Bernard Tomic has beaten some pretty good players in Adelaide this week - could be Aussies best Mens chance in the open

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
he doesnt have the fitness to survive 5 setters. He barely is fit enough for 3 sitters. Rafter hit it perfectly today by saying he def has the talent to be anything but he also mentioned that while others his age have taken the next step with regards to fitness and mobility, he hasnt.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Still only a kid after all, he is 17 and continually growing - definitely has the attributes and agree he needs to work on his fitness.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Writing his own story: Baghdatis into semis

WILL SWANTON
January 15, 2010

Comeback … Marcos Baghdatis during yesterday's win over Lleyton Hewitt at the Sydney International, where Baghdatis fought back from a set down to advance to the semi-finals. Photo: AP

MARCOS BAGHDATIS is the fallen hero in the opening scene of Andre Agassi's autobiography. The legendary American begins his life story with vivid details of their match at the 2006 US Open, portraying Baghdatis as a younger version of himself, armed with meticulously clean ball-striking and weapons of mass destruction for groundstrokes. Their epic five-setter was the final victory of Agassi's career, handing Baghdatis a place in folklore even before the Las Vegas showman put pen to paper and showered him in compliments.

Baghdatis yesterday earned a place in the semi-finals of the Sydney International by defeating Lleyton Hewitt 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.

Today he will face Mardy Fish, who put an end to any hope of an Australian victory last night when he accounted for Peter Luczak in straight sets.

Hewitt began like an locomotive to take a high-class first set. He stole an early break in the second set with four majestic points topped off by a running forehand passing shot that lifted the roof. He ran to the change of ends, face flushed and expectant - but then the tap ran cold. The mercurial Baghdatis, spurred by vocal support from Cypriots and Greeks in the city where his grandmother lives, embarked on a six-game streak to enter the third set with guns blazing.

Hewitt travels to the Australian Open with a loss under his belt from a tournament he won four times in his pomp. He has played from the top shelf on occasions this week but he's also been patchy. Patchiness won't cut the mustard at Melbourne Park, but in the first set and a bit, with Baghdatis sprawled on his back because he was being run ragged, there were signs of vintage Hewitt.

''I'm not that disappointed, really,'' he said. ''I was trying a few different things out there today and mixing up the game a little bit. Hopefully it'll hold me in good stead for next week. I've just got to go out there and trust how I'm playing.

''The first set and a half, I played well, tried mixing it up a little, a bit serve and volleying, slicing a little bit more, doing a few different things. Hopefully it'll pay off next week.''

On the Open draw, to be conducted today, Hewitt said: ''In the hands of the gods. I can't do much about it. Just a matter of wait and see. I don't want to be looking past the first round. You've always got to step up in slams. That's what I pride myself on, always trying to play my best tennis. After you come back from injuries and you've been world No.1 and won slams before, that's what drives me, tournaments like next week. I'll be doing everything in my power to get through the first week, and we'll see what happens after that.''

Baghdatis will be a dangerous floater at the Open and a favourite of desperate punters wanting to put a few bob on a roughie. Hounded by injury and unspecified personal dramas since the five-set defeat to Agassi in New York, he has clawed his way back to No.42 in the world. He will be unseeded in Melbourne and unwanted by the big boppers as an early round opponent.

''Andre showed me his book before it came out so I could read it,'' Baghdatis told the Herald. ''I was honoured that he had written about me in the first chapter. It is a famous book already. He said he hoped I would enjoy it and of course I did. When I read that first chapter, there was a lot of emotion there for me, remembering that match. Being in the first chapter playing against Andre, I don't know how to describe it. It really is an honour. I still have it at home, I took it back to Cyprus so my parents could read it. It gives us great pleasure. He says a lot of nice things about me in his book. I don't think he says say nice things about all the other players in the book.''

The other semi-final will be an all-French joust between Richard Gasquet and Julien Benneteau.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangerous and armed: Federer fires warning to Open rivals

MARTIN BOULTON
January 15, 2010

ROGER FEDERER will head into the Australian Open at Melbourne Park confident the forearm that troubled him during the Qatar Open won't hamper his quest for a fourth title.

The 28-year-old Swiss champion lost his semi-final in Qatar against Russian Nikolay Davydenko and later said his right forearm hurt during their match. After arriving in Melbourne, Federer pulled out of this week's Kooyong Classic.

In Collins Street yesterday, where the world No.1 was judging a competition for chocolate manufacturer Lindt, he said his arm was ''no problem'' and he trained for three hours on Wednesday, two hours yesterday and would have another two-hour session today.

''It [the forearm] was just the one thing that hurt me in the match itself, but not something that hurt me that much that I couldn't play,'' he said.

''I finished the match and Davydenko was the better player - that happens, but I'm sure it's going to be fine for the Aussie Open.''

Federer missed his traditional Kooyong warm-up tournament two years ago due to illness, but said his decision to pull out this year was based more around spending time with his family.

''This year is very different. It [was] a precaution, but also I've played quite a bit of tennis already.

''I played six matches in eight days in the Middle East and when I came here I wanted to enjoy the family, settle into Melbourne and then see where it takes us.

''I've had a couple of hits, it's been good weather [and] I've been hitting well, my forearm is where it's supposed to be and I'm moving well and that's always important at the beginning of the season.''

After breaking Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam titles and again finishing last year as the highest-ranked men's player, Federer has looked to adding to his astonishing record.

Four days out from the first major tournament of the year he looked relaxed and said there was much to achieve. ''I'm excited … the first grand slam of the season is around the corner. I love playing in Australia, especially here in Melbourne with the fans and Rod Laver Arena, it's an amazing stadium.''

Meanwhile, the cotton-wool approach that the highly ranked players increasingly display before the Australian Open has led to two of the Open's top eight seeds withdraw from the Kooyong lead-in with apparently minor ailments.

The winner of the most-recent grand slam title, 2009 US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro, and 2009 French Open finalist Robin Soderling withdrew from Kooyong's Classic yesterday with a wrist and elbow injury respectively, forcing organisers of the eight-man event to reshuffle remaining matches.

It was clear, however, that both Del Potro and Soderling were merely being cautious with their bodies and unless there was a further aggravation at the weekend, there seemed little chance that either would miss the Australian Open. Del Potro practised yesterday morning, withdrawing some hours later.

Soderling, the eighth-ranked player in the world, pulled out of his match against Ivan Ljubicic after losing the first set (6-4), due to a sore elbow - an injury that the Swede said had troubled him ''on and off'' for six months, having first surfaced at Wimbledon last year. ''Today, I felt it a little bit more, so I didn't want to take any risks,'' he said.

Del Potro, seeded fourth and one of the favourites to win the Australian Open (he is behind only Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray in betting) was likewise playing it safe with his wrist.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
maybe you should calm down on tomic, as should the media. wait till he's played more atp tournaments before putting all this pressure of the 'next future aus major winner' etc

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Federer lies in wait for Hewitt

Australia's highest ranked men's tennis player Lleyton Hewitt will play a qualifier first-up at the Australian Open.

But he faces a potential first week match against his Sydney International conqueror Marcos Baghdatis, and then perhaps world No.1 Roger Federer.

Federer has a difficult first-up test against Russian Igor Andreev, ranked 36 in the world and just missing a seeding.

Also looming in a difficult quarter of the men's draw for Federer, Hewitt and Baghdatis is last year's Open semi-finalist Fernando Verdasco and sixth seed Nikolay Davydenko.

Australian Peter Luczak has the unenviable task of taking on defending champion and world No.2 Rafael Nadal in the first round.

Australian teenager Bernard Tomic will take on a qualifier in the first round.

Women's draw

Australia's highest ranked women's tennis player Samantha Stosur will play a qualifier first-up, but faces a potential match-up with defending champion Serena Williams midway through the tournament.

Stosur was drawn in Williams's quarter of the draw, but won't find out who she will play in her first round match until qualifying is completed this weekend.

World No.1 Williams faces unseeded Pole Urzula Radvanska, ranked 71 in the world.

Former world No.1 Justine Henin has been drawn to take on fellow Belgian Kirsten Flipkens in the first round.

Henin, on the comeback trail after emerging from retirement, faces a potential second round match-up with Russian fifth seed and Sydney International finalist Elena Dementieva.

Australian Alicia Molik plays world No.75 Julie Coin of France, while Casey Dellacqua takes on Belarus' Anastasiya Yakimoro who is ranked outside the world's top 100.

Another Australian hope, Jelena Dokic, faces a tricky first-up assignment against 27th seed Alisa Kleybanova of Russia.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jelena Dokic wilts under Open pressure

By Geoff Easdown, Kelly Ryan and Terry Brown From: The Daily Telegraph
JELENA Dokic's $1 million sponsorship with Jetstar has been saved after 24 hours of crisis talks yesterday.

The budget airline and the tennis star were forced into damage control after her boyfriend and coach apologised yesterday over their misbehaviour on a Melbourne-bound flight.

The tennis star will remain the face of the airline after executives brokered a settlement in a series of phone calls with Jelena's Australian and US-based management team and with Tennis Australia, which hosts the Melbourne grand slam event.

"Everyone involved agrees now that the important thing is for Dokic to be able to focus on winning her next game," Jetstar marketing chief David May told The Daily Telegraph last night.

He said Dokic's boyfriend Tin Bikic and his brother Borna, her coach, were "remarkably remorseful" over a heated argument with a female passenger and flight attendants on a Qantas flight from Hobart to Melbourne on Thursday.

Borna Bikic had objected to a seat in front of his own being laid back causing him to lose leg-room.

At the time Dokic and her entourage were returning to Melbourne after a dismal display at the Hobart International tournament, a lead-in event for next week's Open.

Her bad mood seemed to have travelled with her to Melbourne as she was frustrated and angry when she practised at Melbourne Park last night.

Hitting balls with murderous intent, she at one stage angrily swatted away a ball tossed to her from the sidelines by coach Bikic. The pair also exchanged heated words and Dokic was in tears at one stage.

Jetstar's David May intervened after the brothers were met and interviewed by Australian Federal Police officers. Both face being issued with infringement notices.

May subsequently spent several hours on Thursday in telephone talks with representatives of the International Management Group, which represent Dokic in Australia, and in phone calls to her personal manager Olivier Van Landonk in Miami and with Tennis Australia and Borna Bikic.

Dokic, 26, is just a year into her $1 million, three-year contract with the budget airline. She took the Qantas flight because no seats were available on a Jetstar aircraft.

Dokic is enjoying newfound support from a strong Australian fan base sympathetic to years of controversy she faced as an innocent victim of father Damir's odd behaviour.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley yesterday played down the incident.

Tiley said he had spoken to the Dokic camp and added there was "two sides to the story".

"All our discussions have been directly with Jelena and her team and their assessment of it is minor," Tiley said, adding that he did not expect the latest controversy to affect Jelena's preparations for the tournament.

"Jelena has been playing good tennis," Tiley said.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters among stars to play Ha

WORLD No.1 Roger Federer will head a tennis fundraiser for those affected by the earthquake in Haiti, playing in a pre-Australian Open exhibition at Melbourne Park tomorrow.

Federer and world No.2 Rafael Nadal, as well as women's stars Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters and Samantha Stosur, will play a series of mixed doubles matches in the "Hit For Haiti" event.

"I had the idea we could do something to help Haiti so I spoke to some other top players and they all said 'yes, we should do something'," Federer said.

"There'll be a donation at the door of $10 to come and see us play. It's something as a tennis family we're happy to do."

Other players are expected to be added to the line-up ahead of the event, which starts at 2pm (AEDT) on Sunday.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
thats a bloody awesome idea....great to see they aregettin involved

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
apparently stoser and hewitt asked to play..guess they weren't invited :p jokes aside great idea :grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kudos to all involved, excellent work from the players, especially considering there is a grand slam just around the corner that they have to be concentrating on.

Good stuff.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baghdatis savours a sweet Sydney triumph after Gasquet blows a gasket

WILL SWANTON AND AAP
January 17, 2010
THERE are tell-tale signs of extreme nerves at any level of this beautiful sport.

Among the most bleeding obvious is the attempt of a drop shot from no-man's land.

Another dead giveaway is hitting a smash off 12 o'clock on the racquet frame.

Tension has paralysed the leg muscles, feet sticking to the court like glue. Gasquet committed both of these grave errors in the first game of the final of the Medibank International and could not escape.

Given he was chasing his first ATP World Tour win since 2007, little wonder a swarm of butterflies were banging the walls of the Frenchman's stomach.

Before the first point, both men had run their fingers through their hair - here we go, I cannot breathe - after Baghdatis had applied a little pressure by electing to receive.

Gasquet had the pressure of attempting to hold serve and he responded with the yips, ill-conceived drop shot and botched smash 'n all.

Baghdatis was more solid early, pulling ahead 3-1, but an expression somewhere between a grimace and a wince broke out on his normally jolly face when he grabbed at a calf muscle.

He looked at his supporters' box.

They grimaced and winced right back at him. Early season tournaments run the risk of injury because players are all easing their way into the rigours of match play after an extended layoff.

Women's runner-up Serena Williams hobbled away from Homebush Bay with an ankle brace, strapping on a knee and ice on a hamstring.

There's something divine about a technically perfect one-handed backhand spearing down the line.

Justine Henin does it. Roger Federer does it blind-folded and Gasquet does it as well as anyone.

His money shot started hitting the mark and then the cross-court started unloading towards the end of the first set. Baghdatis was sweating up a storm but his flattened-out first serve got him out of trouble.

Gasquet's nerves started evaporating and Baghdatis would face a tall order to serve out the opening set.

A drop shot, the nerve of the man, but this one was inch-perfect. A backhand winner down the line.

Less attractive with two hands but just as effective. An error from a despairing Gasquet, an unreturnable first serve and Baghdatis was a set up. Not such a tall order at all.

He clenched his fist and marched to his chair. Gasquet ran his hand through his hair again. He would start another set with another service game. This one was accompanied by fewer heart palpitations as he won the first two points in the blink of an eye…but then it started raining.

Gasquet was the beneficiary of the break. He came back with a more devil-may-care attitude.

The poetic backhand went bam-boom and he was a break up following a double fault on break point from Baghdatis. AQ revised game plan had clearly been hatched during the drizzle: attack.

He dared venture to the net a bit more.

It was getting close to 11pm and Baghdatis was tiring while the Frenchman was wide-eyed and alert. He led 5-3 but Baghdatis found himself a purple patch. Running passing shorts, attacking lobs and now the unpredictable drop shots were landing on a dime.

He levelled at 5-5. Baghdatis was full of pep, out-Gasqueting the mercurial Gasquet. Into a tie-breaker. A shot of the year tournament from Gasquet - off the backhand, but then two double faults. The fingers ran through the hair once more.

Baghdatis won six straight points and the tournament. Baghdatis, who donated $US5000 of his $67,250 prizemoney to the Haiti earthquake victims, said he was excited about returning to Melbourne Park.

''Playing first round [unseeded Italian Paolo] Lorenzi, I don't know too much the guy. Never played him before,'' he said.

''But if I stay focused, keep my feet on the ground, then I'll find a way to win. And if I stay focused and find the way to win the first two, three matches, then I could be very dangerous and confident.''

Meanwhile, American John Isner won his first ATP Tour singles title, beating Frenchman Arnaud Clement 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (7-2) in the Heineken Open final in Auckland yesterday.

The 206-centimetre Isner sent down 22 aces - Clement served eight - with only two double faults in a serve-dominated match.

''This is the start of my third full year on the tour and I'm going to be in the top 30,'' Isner said. ''With a weapon like my serve, as long as I improve other areas of my game I can see myself getting in the top 20 and maybe even better than that.

''It gave me a lot of confidence to play pretty much a flawless tie-break [in the third set].''

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lleyton may not rate him, but Novak says Tomic's the bomb

ROBERT GRANT
January 17, 2010
TEENAGER Bernard Tomic might not excite countryman Lleyton Hewitt but he impressed world No.3 Novak Djokovic yesterday.

Djokovic was quick to lavish praise on the young Aussie who toppled him in three sets in a useful hit-out during the Kooyong Classic.

Tomic outlasted the Serbian 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, providing solid match practice ahead of the youngster's second Australian Open next week.

Hewitt was dismissive of the 17-year-old recently as their long-running feud dragged on, but Djokovic did not hesitate when told Tomic was seen as a player the country was pinning its hopes on.

''They should, because he is a very talented player,'' Djokovic said. ''He's only 17 years old and he's got the shots, he's got the weapons, definitely.

''He's got a big serve, he has very good baseline play, a very good feel.

''Talent helps him in these specific situations when he needs to play a good shot and he does it.

''Maybe he needs to work a little bit on his second serve and on the net play, but this is all process and it takes time. I'm sure he already has the quality to be in the top 50.''

Tomic said he was pleased to have a three-set match in difficult windy conditions under his belt before his first-round clash against a qualifier next week.

''I played well and I took everything seriously today,'' Tomic said.

''It was tough conditions out there, the ball swirling around, and I couldn't ask for anything better than to win today, so I was happy.

''I just came back from Adelaide and I had a few good wins there and I knew if I played like that I would have a good chance today - and I did, I executed my shots.

''Sometimes it got a bit windy but in the end I played pretty good.''

Djokovic is trying to introduce a more attacking game into his repertoire under American coach Todd Martin and Tomic said he found that hard to deal with.

''He kept hitting and coming to the net against me and changing it up and I couldn't pass at all because it was windy,'' Tomic said.

''But it's good to play with the wind and I've got nothing to lose next week when it starts, so hopefully it goes well.''

Meanwhile, American John Isner won his first ATP Tour singles title, beating Frenchman Arnaud Clement 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (7-2) in the Heineken Open final in Auckland yesterday.

Clement, who was a late wildcard entry, disposed of second-seeded David Ferrer, sixth-seeded Jurgen Melzer and 2008 champion Philipp Kohlschreiber on the way to the final while Isner, who was also unseeded, ousted No.7 Juan Monaco and No.8 Albert Montanes in previous rounds.

The 206-centimetre Isner sent down 22 aces - Clement served eight - and had only two double faults in a service-dominated match.

Both players converted two of six break points, and saved four of six, in their first head-to-head meeting.

Isner won the first set with a single service break in the eighth game, but Clement squared the match, taking the only break of the second set in the 12th game.

Both players took an early point off their opponent's serve in the tie-breaker before Isner forged a 6-2 lead, winning with a thundering forehand on his first match point.

Marcus Daniell became the first New Zealander in 11 years to win an ATP Tour doubles title, teaming with Romanian Horia Tecau to beat Brazilians Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares 7-5, 6-4. Daniell entered with a world doubles ranking of 670 while Tecau was ranked 46 but had never won an ATP title.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Starts tomorrow

Discuss predictions, matchups, hot tennis players etc

Status
Not open for further replies.