Opinion Attack

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It might be an unpopular view on here but Averillo just isn’t up to first grade. He adds no support to Flanagan at all.
Like so many more before him mate, we get sucked into the hype for a junior and........they’re just not that good.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be honest I agree. Jake’s shown nothing. I said in the off season he had One outstanding play. People lost their shit but he stood out in such a horrible attacking team. He’s shown nothing.

Speaking of nothing deadset I can’t think of a player I’ve hated watching in the dogs like I do Napa. The **** just shirt grabbed on the line to momo.... a fucking centre.... he’s missed about 7 tackles I reckon. He’s a fucking shell of that hard **** for qld hes a Fucking pillow. Fucking trade The **** to panthers now for Burton’s fucking pubic hairs. Better
Then him.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It might be an unpopular view on here but Averillo just isn’t up to first grade. He adds no support to Flanagan at all.
So far he looks too raw. He def not ready to be a half in FG.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I said this last year ! Soft as
Jake Averillo is a myth.

He is built like Meany and gets dominated but plays with even less heart and is scared of any physical contact.

I would be more than happy to see him dropped to reserves until he can harden the fuck up.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We had about 1 good kick the entire game. Can't win with that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm honestly putting it on Baz. Seems like he has put WAY too much time into trying to turn Flanagan into an "on the ball playmaker" and unfortunately it has done little to help the other players around him. It's not just Jake, look at Allan. When he was at Souths he was sweeping around with some lovely touches yet he is absolutely non existent here?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think so. I brought this up during the trial, we then saw it last week and again this week. I think it's intentional. Our playmakers are way too isolated and linkup with each other about 5 times all game....we literally have one point of attack right now.
Exactly, noticed the same issue with the warriors spine yesterday. Difference is they have go forward and we have sweet fuck all

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm honestly putting it on Baz. Seems like he has put WAY too much time into trying to turn Flanagan into an "on the ball playmaker" and unfortunately it has done little to help the other players around him. It's not just Jake, look at Allan. When he was at Souths he was sweeping around with some lovely touches yet he is absolutely non existent here?
It does look that way......

With the players we got, the structures are just wrong

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d rather ride out the storm with Averillo then the alternatives we have this year. Both games this year have seen the forwards absolutely dominated and that’s the major issue for mine.

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillo, Hopoate, Napa all gone. Jackson should retire. At least we won’t have to drop DWZ he will be suspended.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d rather ride out the storm with Averillo then the alternatives we have this year. Both games this year have seen the forwards absolutely dominated and that’s the major issue for mine.
I agree that our forwards have been putrid, though all the attack has been forced to go to our right edge.

Allen was excellent last year with linking up around the left edge for Souths.

When you look at our left edge you have Averillo (speed), Allen (soft hands & a good pass), Cotric (power & speed) Meaney (speed), why isnt any attack going that way?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all the hype our attack has been an absolute joke. We're playing with one half in Flanagan while Jake and Allan sit out on the edge totally inactive in 99% of plays. Carrying the ball from our own end is ineffective, running one out, slow long passes, Flanagan dumping it back inside for a forward, etc...

I get things will take a while to click and we're lacking in quality but this is concerning. Jake got better ball playing under Pay ffs.
We need to bring in Ava Seumanufagai to get us some hard metres out of our own end. He's our only hope. He was very good again for Mounties today. Plenty of NRL experience and has some size. Flanagan seemed to make a lot of bad choices today which is concerning. Averillo is useless. Hopa hopeless in defence again letting in that first try and Napa useless again also. I wasn't impressed by Schoupp either for Mounties. F..k we need some "strong" strike players who won't get man-handled. Throw 650K at Sivo and get Naden on the cheap.

1 Allan
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Naden
5 Sivo

dinga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any chance after that game Ivan releases Burton to us and takes Napa off the Dogs?[emoji55]

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It does look that way......

With the players we got, the structures are just wrong
It's possible everything is breaking down because our forwards are failing to build momentum and Jake/Allan on the short side are simply not getting the opportunity Baz expects them to? Either way I'm not really a fan.

I knew Flanagan would be playing on the ball but thought Jake/Allan would play a little closer to him acting as 5/8's? I think having Jake play a Munster/Wighton role would do a world of good and just let him do what he does well and run at defenders...seems bizarre that he isn't running or even getting into positions to run?

Anyway I'm totally deflated, all this talk in the off season and we've delivered fuck all. Conditions obviously haven't been great but still..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that our forwards have been putrid, though all the attack has been forced to go to our right edge.

Allen was excellent last year with linking up around the left edge for Souths.

When you look at our left edge you have Averillo (speed), Allen (soft hands & a good pass), Cotric (power & speed) Meaney (speed), why isnt any attack going that way?
Totally agree it’s bizarre that Cotric’s edge is so starved of the ball. If you were going to pick the most dangerous edge you’d pick that one. Maybe it just comes down to Flanagan’s choice on field? There definitely needs to be some adjustments.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is no sign yet this season that the team is really playing for each other. You can see it in Penriff and Storm. That element of their game will develop over time, Fox will be a big help with that.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until the forwards can give them space and we have a hooker to provide good service we wont be able to do anything in attack.

Dont understand why ppl blaming the backs. What are they going to do with limited space? Cant even do anything with kick return when opp kickers have so much time and space to put them under pressure and in bad spot.

We lost both games in the middle.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not going to be too concerned about the attack in swampy conditions vs the best defence in the NRL. We arent up to Penrith at this stage, so no point losing my shit over it. I picked panthers 13+ pre match
Exactly. They have lost one game in how many??? Horrible conditions, inexperience side with very little quality in it, and down on confidence massively. We were never going to win this game. But suddenly everyone is surprised.

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jake Averillo is a myth.

He is built like Meany and gets dominated but plays with even less heart and is scared of any physical contact.

I would be more than happy to see him dropped to reserves until he can harden the fuck up.
Meany is better though. We are definitely playing with one half. Averillo is weak and Lewis might not be good in attack but much better than Averillo. Shows more heart and smashing in defence.

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillos been very ordinary the last too weeks but By the look of it everything goes through Flanagan which is a mistake cause he is ordinary