Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
In the wake of the Melbourne Storm situation, the question was asked of their supporters: “who will stand with us?” And there was a resounding 23,906 who said they will stand with them. Though for how long is a question that will not be resolved until next year.

But this show of support does ask the question: “Which team has the most passionate supporters?”

Passionate has many definitions, but just quickly, this will be judged on the average supporters of the club – not the extremes of the supporter base.

One could argue the Broncos (my team) dominates in this area, due to the crowd attendance alone. But, unfortunately, I do not agree. They have a larger supporter base to draw from yet can only average over 30k a game, not much greater than places that only have a slice of Sydney.

Others could argue for North Queensland, due to the travel that a majority of the supporters make, and this would make it a high contender.

I see a lot of Cowboys‘ supporters in Brisbane. Well, wearing a lot of merchandise, anyway.

But one would expect more from a team that boasts the greatest player in the world.

A case could be made for Sydney Roosters, but it is obvious (due to their inability to attract a decent crowd to matches) that this case would be flawed.

St. George-Illawarra could fight for this title as most people know they wear their jersey more than any other club to games. They have the heritage and the right people to promote the team, yet their crowd average is not as convincing as their winning percentage last year.

Probably the most parochial bunch out of League fans are the Rabbitohs. And rightly so: they have the greatest history out of any club, they have an Academy Award Winner as a co-owner, they have increased their membership almost two-fold, and are amongst the most marketable club with their American-like merchandise (which I believe all clubs should tap into).

But, I believe the award goes to the Bulldogs.

They have repelled extinction during the Coffs Harbour scandal, the salary cap debacle and the hooliganism displayed by their fans. They constantly average the highest crowds outside of Queensland, and they always support as a pack.

I always see pictures of supporters that remind of football fans behind the goals.

They have Greenburg, who has given them identity as the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, and they seem to have the community on their side. They have embraced immigrants more than any other club, which has paid dividends.

They have showed their commitment to making the Dogs the family friendly team by hiring young family men as players and this is why their fans are the most passionate.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/04/28...(The+Roar)

Dogs8teen

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You just need to look at how many remotes have been replaced over the years.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Awesome - nice post. Invite that fella' to join TK - He and CK could have a write-off.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
there is no doubt the dogs have the most passionate supporters.

filto666

Doginator
Reaction score
Good read, I cant beleive that mentioned the Broncos?? everyone knows once the Broncos have a few bad games their fans turn to AFL or the Cowboys/Titans.

I think the closest to us would be StMerge, Rabbits or Parra but noone comes close to the passion and exhiliration we have!

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
The dogs supporters are number 1.

We are very proud of our club and bleed blue and white!

R

rocky IV

there are a lot of passionate supporters like u guys but
most are just bandwagoners who show up when we are winning

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Good read, I cant beleive that mentioned the Broncos?? everyone knows once the Broncos have a few bad games their fans turn to AFL or the Cowboys/Titans.

I think the closest to us would be StMerge, Rabbits or Parra but noone comes close to the passion and exhiliration we have!
dont forget the Reds ...

Status
Not open for further replies.