Opinion Are we being naive to think we will improve next year?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
While watching the game tonight I was thinking, even with Burton, Ado-Carr and Naden I don't think we will be much better if we don't change our style of play.

We just look like we're trying to hard to play a certain way, it looks like Barrett is trying to implement what has worked so well at Penrith.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for next year, I really don't.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
While watching the game tonight I was thinking, even with Burton, Ado-Carr and Naden I don't think we will be much better if we don't change our style of play.

We just look like we're trying to hard to play a certain way, it looks like Barrett is trying to implement what has worked so well at Penrith.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for next year, I really don't.
We will improve for sure, but we will be a side that can only attack on their left edge and will be very predicatable

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well we shall see. There are somewhere between 15-18 players who's contracts are up this season. It depends on who we can get. We certainly need a couple of big boppers & a hooker. Get those 3 & we WILL improve. Then we can build on that. I just hope that Dean Pay had started the regeneration of our juniors after Des left.

Des really stuffed us with the cap & doubled down in the refusal to develop the juniors.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like our old mentality, we just look very structured and it's not working, I guess the game has changed.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The original time-line had us improving and coming out of the SC mess this year.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I feel you,
I really do.
Feel...you.

look, I think we will Improve, but we r hinging on Burton being some miracle maker.

it is crucial if we get 3 extra
Signings perfectly right.
But I am so sceptical.
i could write an essay why, and it will be gorgeous. but I know TK likes thangs short.
So I’ll use one example.
Adam Reynolds.
We were never in the convo.
My oil says barrett dismissed it instantly, and even the biggest Nasheed sceptic could agree there.
But why?
The best game manager alongside the best up n comer is all we needed.
There is too much hinged on Burton and it’ll bVkfire if this is the plan.

we need to get our spine right.
We honestly need some league IQ in the team. I’m still two years away. Reynolds was perfect. Today our guys were happy to let Hoppa get rag dolled on the first hit up.
Watching Dce yesterday, **** just knew exactly what to do everytime. Reynolds is like that.
I’m convinced after watching DWZ today, that he and Meaney can handle the FB position. And Deitz is a fire interchange rake, but we might have smith in the way but we need a half. A proper one.
Youth policy simple does not work in the spine.
How can can Nasheed+ TK be the only ones to see that?)??)

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We will improve, guaranteed. How much will depend on a #9, 2 more props and getting onboard some experienced leaders. Averillo’s development is also going to influence things.. he’s not grabbing the role and games by the horns, I can’t read where he’s at... if he can’t kick on and Papenhuyzen is too big a fish, we should target dufty for dear life.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We get an origin player, we get a kid who has been killing it, and we get a actual centre. In my books we improve. Especially if we let go the players that aren’t first grade standard.

A winger a centre and a 5/8 alone won’t make us a top 8 team, but we will have a touch of class (in all honesty and being very generous we have 2 maybe 3 first graders in our current 17).

It seems to be a top 3 team (which it seems are the only teams that can possibly win, if not top 2) you need talent all over the park (papenhoyzen, JAC,Hughes, Grant, a big pack, then you have Cleary, To’o, fisher harris, korisau, Capewell, yeo.

So it’s naive to think supplementary pieces will get us into the 8 or 6. But it is a step in the right direction.

Like others have mentioned we need a hard nosed forward leader to help out thompson. We need a class hooker, we need a decent back rower (Elliot, Jackson, Waddell, rfm seem inadequate, especially in today’s game). We need a fullback. Not a winger that wants to be a fullback. We need a halfback. Unless we decide to run with 2 5/8’s or we hope that without the pressure of running the attack flano can do his role.

With all that then we need the young pups, the schoupps, the alamotis, the taupaus etc to come through. If we don’t keep on recruiting the best pups we will be stagnant. It might be another 2-3 seasons until we are a threat. The only upside is we are a young team that can be kept together and build something.

But Barrett, the board and the CEO need to get us out of this (even though they didn’t put us in this position).

For the Barrett haters too, if you think Belemy or Bennett, or Robinson could win game in this current comp with park footballers like tui katoa, dietz, waddell, doorey etc, then you don’t know the game.

The top 3 are winning by 30-40 every week. They are beating other contending teams/top 8 teams by that much. We have the absolute worst 30 in the squad. No one can deny or argue against that. We were lucky to get a win so far this season. And there will be a lot more losses coming up. That’s just being realistic. But to sack a coach that has been here for a minute is silly. Like I have previously said if we are still getting 30-0 scorelines in 12 months time then sure he has the spotlight on him. But in my books his job is safe until he can restructure the roster.

He is to blame for Waddell. But Stimson who is on bigger money and is a Jim bean cup player at the moment is a worse signing :expressionless:

and as long as we are carrying the Stimson, the Jackson’s, the zelezniaka on fullback coin, as long as we have Waddell starting or playing 50+ mins, then we won’t be competitive.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We won’t have to wait till next year, they will be better next week as our confidence and experience grows.
My ability to deal with the loses is not improving although I think I’m becoming desensitised to it.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course we will improve....because of the better players we’ll be getting

Souths got pumped by 50 against the Storm...not because Bennett forgot how to coach but because they were missing a shitload of players

The coaches get way too much credit/blame for their results....it's all about the ROSTER, ROSTER, ROSTER.

You add Burton, Smith, JAC and Naden to that side and we would have easily won that game, against a 13 man Raiders side, and a few other games this year. We just need to be patient and wait for the troops to arrive

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We get an origin player, we get a kid who has been killing it, and we get a actual centre. In my books we improve. Especially if we let go the players that aren’t first grade standard.

A winger a centre and a 5/8 alone won’t make us a top 8 team, but we will have a touch of class (in all honesty and being very generous we have 2 maybe 3 first graders in our current 17).

It seems to be a top 3 team (which it seems are the only teams that can possibly win, if not top 2) you need talent all over the park (papenhoyzen, JAC,Hughes, Grant, a big pack, then you have Cleary, To’o, fisher harris, korisau, Capewell, yeo.

So it’s naive to think supplementary pieces will get us into the 8 or 6. But it is a step in the right direction.

Like others have mentioned we need a hard nosed forward leader to help out thompson. We need a class hooker, we need a decent back rower (Elliot, Jackson, Waddell, rfm seem inadequate, especially in today’s game). We need a fullback. Not a winger that wants to be a fullback. We need a halfback. Unless we decide to run with 2 5/8’s or we hope that without the pressure of running the attack flano can do his role.

With all that then we need the young pups, the schoupps, the alamotis, the taupaus etc to come through. If we don’t keep on recruiting the best pups we will be stagnant. It might be another 2-3 seasons until we are a threat. The only upside is we are a young team that can be kept together and build something.

But Barrett, the board and the CEO need to get us out of this (even though they didn’t put us in this position).

For the Barrett haters too, if you think Belemy or Bennett, or Robinson could win game in this current comp with park footballers like tui katoa, dietz, waddell, doorey etc, then you don’t know the game.

The top 3 are winning by 30-40 every week. They are beating other contending teams/top 8 teams by that much. We have the absolute worst 30 in the squad. No one can deny or argue against that. We were lucky to get a win so far this season. And there will be a lot more losses coming up. That’s just being realistic. But to sack a coach that has been here for a minute is silly. Like I have previously said if we are still getting 30-0 scorelines in 12 months time then sure he has the spotlight on him. But in my books his job is safe until he can restructure the roster.

He is to blame for Waddell. But Stimson who is on bigger money and is a Jim bean cup player at the moment is a worse signing :expressionless:

and as long as we are carrying the Stimson, the Jackson’s, the zelezniaka on fullback coin, as long as we have Waddell starting or playing 50+ mins, then we won’t be competitive.
We have no idea if Baz is a good/bad coach. We really don't. Until he gets his roster, a NRL standard roster, we won't know. Baz's number 1 job is to assemble the roster and so far he's doing a decent job.

Look at Ivan Clearly. When he was in charge of a garbage roster at the Tigers he looked like a dud but now that he has a superstar roster, that Gus and Hook built, he looks like a stud.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will definitely improve with Burton guiding the team around with the addition of JAC, Naden. We just need to continue to remove the reserve graders in key positions and replace with quality. Numbnuts Elliot has to go..
Replace Hoppa and Meaney with Naden and Alamoti and we win thar game yesterday...even with Adam Idiot's brain farts

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We have no idea if Baz is a good/bad coach. We really don't. Until he gets his roster, a NRL standard roster, we won't know. Baz's number 1 job is to assemble the roster and so far he's doing a decent job.

Look at Ivan Clearly. When he was in charge of a garbage roster at the Tigers he looked like a dud but now that he has a superstar roster, that Gus and Hook built, he looks like a stud.
Well we do.. Manly under Baz = bad. Penrith lower grade under Baz = bad.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at th difference one player - Turbo - makes at Manly.
The dogs top 17 will be significantly different to who and what has been running out over the last 6 weeks.
Burton addo Carr Naden, - plus hopefully fully fit RFM Jackson Okunbor - a fg ready Alamoti and a couple of quality forwards yet to be signed - more importantly who wont be there - Katoa Katoa Hopoate Meaney Elliot (bench at best) Waddell Smith Ogden

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we do.. Manly under Baz = bad. Penrith lower grade under Baz = bad.
Fkn LOL I KNEW you were going to respond to that comment

Look I'm willing to give him a second chance because players/coaches can change and improve over time so I'm not focused on his previous record...but in the end you may be right. This time next year we should know the answer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fkn LOL I KNEW you were going to respond to that comment

Look I'm willing to give him a second chance because players/coaches can change and improve over time so I'm not focused on his previous record...but in the end you may be right. This time next year we should know the answer
All i'm saying is that Baz needs to prove himself and so far he hasn't done it. We all know the limitations on the roster but some of his decisions have been absolutely pathetic. He will get next season but if things don't look to be on the up early then I don't see him being here for a third year.