Are refs allowed to over turn a penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
NRL has to be up there with having the poorest officials in professional sport. The two ref system is garbage, one lets teams get aways with holding the player down for say 5 seconds, the other blows a penalty after 3. Zero consistency.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Aslong as they make the correct call once overturned I am fine by it, I'm more than happy to lose by a correct call being made then an incorrect one.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I refereed from 1970 to 1991 and during that era, the only way a decision could be changed was on the advice of a touch judge who came on to report a "prior" indiscretion. However in the last 24 years the rules of the game have been tinkered with so many times it is ubelievable. As an aside one rule that hasn't been changed according to my best knowledge is that backline players (other than the half back) only have to be 5 metres behind the last feet in the scrum. This was not changed when the 10 metre rule was brought in.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
the worst one was in the sharks game, when holmes scored a try after lewis freakishly ran along the sidelines, the replay went all the way back 90 m where it was shown the cronulla had knocked on.

The play has already moved on , isnt it?

Wasnt that the reason roosters were given the line drop out when the pony tail guy had the foot on the line when he passed the ball against us and the ref said the play has moved on.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
the worst one was in the sharks game, when holmes scored a try after lewis freakishly ran along the sidelines, the replay went all the way back 90 m where it was shown the cronulla had knocked on.

The play has already moved on , isnt it?

Wasnt that the reason roosters were given the line drop out when the pony tail guy had the foot on the line when he passed the ball against us and the ref said the play has moved on.
They got it right in the Cronulla game. There was no break/stoppage in play, ie a tackle, between when the knock on occurred and the try being scored. It's considered the one play. I can't remember the Roosters one vs us whether or not there was a tackle in between Elliot stepping out and the try being scored?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I refereed from 1970 to 1991 and during that era, the only way a decision could be changed was on the advice of a touch judge who came on to report a "prior" indiscretion. However in the last 24 years the rules of the game have been tinkered with so many times it is ubelievable. As an aside one rule that hasn't been changed according to my best knowledge is that backline players (other than the half back) only have to be 5 metres behind the last feet in the scrum. This was not changed when the 10 metre rule was brought in.
The same idea holds now, except rather than two judges who could advise on what the lead referee has missed, there's two touch judges, one pocket referee and the video refs... Too many cooks?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can someone explain what actually happened?

Someone suggested the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tap and then lost the ball so the ref said we took our advantage.

Others say (and I agree), the penalty was blown, Reynolds quick tape and then they called it back because they over turned the penalty call by saying we actually lost the ball first (before the voluntary tackle).
We were awarded a penalty, no doubt about that. After a second Reynolds took a quick tap and ran past the referee but he was immediately tackled by Friend ( who had never got back from the penalty, Reynolds lost the ball because of the impact of the tackle. If anything we should have been awarded another penalty for Friend offside, but no, dimwit rules advantage taken and knock on. I blew up deluxe about it at the time because we got no advantage. Warriors go to our end and score. A referee cannot reverse a penalty blown even if it was a wrong decision UNLESS it is for foul play; Typical NRL stuff up.

From the NRL Rule book Section 16

Changing decision 9. The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The same idea holds now, except rather than two judges who could advise on what the lead referee has missed, there's two touch judges, one pocket referee and the video refs... Too many cooks?
Spelling mistake there Pom_81, should be cRooks.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think it was a fair call under the rules... and the right one, but I'm still pretty confused over double standards in terms of overturning rules. Ie I'm pretty sure I've seen some bad decisions overturned on video evidence over the past few seasons (not because of a tip off from the touch judge. But I remember a few rounds ago an opposition player (might have been the Broncos game?) clearly stepping on the sideline, the touch judge not ruling on it, the video showing what happened clearly and the refs explaining to us they couldn't overturn it. I think if they are going to allow calls to be changed in some circumstances it should be allowed in all circumstances.

I've got to admit I'm pretty confused over which decisions can be overturned if blatantly wrong and which ones can't.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ah ok it was the roosters game....

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They got it right in the Cronulla game. There was no break/stoppage in play, ie a tackle, between when the knock on occurred and the try being scored. It's considered the one play. I can't remember the Roosters one vs us whether or not there was a tackle in between Elliot stepping out and the try being scored?
I don't think there was another tackle in between, but my memory isn't that clear obviously because I wasn't even sure which game this had occured in.....I'd be interested to see if anyone remembers the exact circumstances....

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed Klein blew a penalty for us last night than overturned and gave the Warriors the scrum is he allowed to do that?
Yes they can. But as far as I know the referee must explain the full scenario to both captains.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Yes they can. But as far as I know the referee must explain the full scenario to both captains.
It's touch and go really cause worriers played advantage but surended without a hand laying on him thats why he blew the penalty

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
That penalty back flip was a disgrace, why did it go against us in the end?
Its a wiser man that is prepared to change his decisions but it has to be the right one.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Further on what Dogluva posted, they stipulated earlier in the year that the ruling now is that a ref makes a call and can overturn that call if a touch judge or the other ref provides enough evidence to overturn the call.

In regard to the video ref overturning a decision, this can only be done if it results in a penalty and a player is put on report. It becomes a bit confusing 'cause they'll be showing video footage while the touch judge is saying "No, it actually happened this way" then it'll look like they overturned the decision based on the video ref but it's actually overturned based on what the touch judge saw.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't Klein actually call the Eastwood knock on THEN blew a penalty for voluntary tackle?

I don't get this "no advantage" garbage. So if an attacking player knocks on, the defender picks it up and creates an indiscretion, do we still go back to the knock on?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't Klein actually call the Eastwood knock on THEN blew a penalty for voluntary tackle?

I don't get this "no advantage" garbage. So if an attacking player knocks on, the defender picks it up and creates an indiscretion, do we still go back to the knock on?
Yep. First infringement is always first. They can only turn it over to the second infringement if the second infringement is really bad. Basically on report or sin bin. Although in that case they'll usually go to the first infringement.

ek999

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Klein didn't see the knock-on because of where he was. He kept calling play on and then blew the penalty. Either the other ref or a touchie then told him about the knock on so he changed the call. It was the correct decision made by the refs

On another note, Reynolds is so much more switched on then other players around this rule. Most of the time players will touch the guy on the ground to enforce the tackle but he just waited for the ref to blow the penalty. He then ran straight at Friend who was offside and forced him to tackle him which probably would have seen him in the sin bin had it actually been a penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.