Opinion Are our Current Problems Simply just another bad case of Pantheritis..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The panthers defence isn’t fucking complicated. It’s based on trust and connection. Trust the bloke inside you and stay connected with him.

Good first graders can do it. Elite first graders excel at it. Sub standard players can’t do it and we are filled with them.

But they are getting weeded out. One giant lazy turd got flushed today. Maybe, just maybe, Gus and Ciraldo know more than all of us on here….

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. @1967 & @Flanagun both make some good points.

As a lifetime Panthers supporter that went through our "5 year plan" The Dogs approach has given me quite a bit of amusement.

One of the problems is our clubs are structured differently. When Gus arrived at Penrith we were all but fucked, the board pretty much just gave him free reign to do whatever and let the chips fall where they may. With our history instant results weren't really a requirement, being somewhat competitive was seen as a step in the right direction. At the Dogs my understanding is your board can be shafted pretty regularly, so there is more pressure for a quick fix.

When Gus arrived he went after Sika Manu, Brent Kite, Ciraldo & Newton. Kite was well past his prime, but bought the attitude and professionalism. The other 3 while never really world beaters also knew what it took to be pro league players and had been at successful clubs. He took a punt on young players like Whare, Hiku & Seggy. None were what you would call even close to glamour players at the time. Maybe Segs because of his haircut. We then got rid of Luke Lewis, Tim Grant and Mick Jennings, our 3 best players by a mile. It was very underwhelming as a fan I can assure you all.

What it did was not a lot at all in 1st grade, but started to set the standard for the kids coming through. Additions of Elijah Taylor and Lewis Brown added more starch. Then in 14 we added Soward and got Wallace back. The lower grades were flying and started hitting 1st grade, DWZ, Waqa, Cartwright, Peachey, Seggy coming of age etc. You guys knocked us out in the prelim, but things were looking up. 15 was a stupid injury toll and we faded out at the end of the season.

Since then we were competitive, but never really looked a premiership threat. (19 aside) Fast forward to 2020 and it all comes together. A team full of developed players and you know the rest. In the whole time we never signed what you would call a top liner. The closest would be Soward and Maloney who were both at the back end of their careers. Sowie was a beast in 14, but what both did teaching Cleary and Luai when they were kids is what is paying dividends now.

You guys have gone the other way, Kikau, JAC, Critta, Burton, The Broncos Kid, Mahoney, TPJ. None of them are toilers. Mahoney could be, but he cant do it on his own and doesn't have the experience. You have way too much icing and no cake. I would guess it's a board issue and Gus has been told to get results now. It clearly wont work and you have wasted the last 3 years.

It's funny reading the dream hit lists on here the past few years, you got the some of them and then the others, Hass, Tino, Fafita, Hunt and so on, all big dollar players that aren't what you need. None of them have been the catalyst to drag a side into the 8.

Hindsight makes things easier, but players that have moved clubs that would have been better imo would be Mansour, Bromwich bros, Kafusi, Reynolds, Api. Mansour may seem an odd choice, but he was the ultimate professional, him showing the way to your young blokes would have been better value at probably a third of the price of what JAC brings to the table. Reynolds gets the extra money saved on JAC on top if what you are paying Burton. Api is similar coin to Mahoney. and TPJ and Kiks money would get you close to the other 3. Broncos kid still comes and go after some promising young hard heads like Lyndsay Smith. Neither option wins you the comp this year or next, but after that whoever is there knows the standard required to be competitive.
Adam Reynolds was never, ever ever ever ever coming to the dogs even if we offered him $1.5 million. The sharks offered him more than the broncos and he still knocked them back.

If he went there he would not have even had to move house but he didn’t want to play for another Sydney club.

Also he is a smart guy and why the fuck would he play out his career with us ?? Even though Brisbane were not great in 2021 when he signed with them it was pretty obvious they were on the up.

No offence at all to you mate. Just shits me because people on here have mentioned him before. Pure fantasy

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They are fish out of water here.. guess we all expected a lot different. Just didn’t work.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Long post … no complaints, it’s easy, just move on if your not interested in reading ..

From recruitment, pathways, development, centre of excellence, through to winning premierships in the future, I honestly believe the clubs vision is to 100% copy the Panthers club.

Let’s face it, everyone especially Gould & Ciraldo (who both played a big part in building it) agree the Penrith Panthers are the pinnacle Club in the league, can anyone see them not winning their 3rd premiership in a row this year, that’s quite a feat from the mess that club was in for so many years.

Gould himself has come out and said the way their club is now structured, “get use to them winning a lot more premierships over the next 10 even 15 years” … if Gould & Ciraldo expect our club to also be winning premierships over the next 5 or 10 years, they know our club from top to bottom will need to better than them, or at least on their level.

If you think about the way he structured the team in the preseason, did Ciraldo see Alamoti as his Brian To’o … Averillo his Crichton, Burton his Luai, did he think he was going to unearth the next Edwards in Perham, Patolo his Lenui, and then Kikau, Thompson JAC, TPJ and the others ice the rest …. I’d love to know where Ciraldo thought he’d have us finish this season, it had to be top 8 as per the TV on the side line motivational ploy.

This is why I believe we didn’t go after more props, we though we had our fast fit mobile pack ..

Barrett got grilled for his complicated defence methods, when Potter took over, apparently he and Sandercock removed them and we saw the team start playing an exciting brand of footy, (full of holes, but it was still entertaining footy and they did start scoring a lot of points and winning games) does it make sense that Ciraldo coming from the same very successful system as Barrett, that he’d make the same mistake and teach what he knows, and also try to get the team playing like the Panthers ..

I’ve seen people on here ask this question many times without an answer “what is this complicated defence style they’re trying to teach” and how F***** complicated is it when you have the likes of Burton, Thompson and Kikau stand there flat footed, not once, but twice in a game, and watch players stroll through to score easy try’s ?

I get that it makes sense to try and teach your team to defend as well as the best team in the league, but that team they’re trying to copy has been learning those defensive structures as a whole team through their centre of excellence since they were young teenagers, the new kids they have coming through to fill their losses and as depth, have been learning those same methods for just as long.

We said the same about Barrett, at what stage do you look at your losses, the cricket scores being put on your team, and say these blokes just aren’t capable of these defensive structures, you can see by the moves he’s made during the season that he’s still trying to tamper with it to get it to work, JAC on the right side backs this up …. there’s been no plan B?.

I get that if we want to be a powerhouse club again and winning premierships in the next 5 to 10 years that we’ll need to eventually be on the Panthers level … but I feel in 1st grade they’re pushing it to fast and to hard …. Injuries might be a telling factor there.

My thoughts would be to teach these more complicated defence structures to the kids in the lower grades where they’ll have more time to learn them as a team before they come through to 1st grade .. that’s probably where our next premiership will come from anyway.

I feel those in charge need to stop trying to turn 1st grade into the Panthers, what went on with Barrett, and the cricket scores still being put on us, tells us it’s blatantly obvious they don’t have it in them … not only is the defence a total disgrace but they’ve also forgotten how to score points again … we have 4 plays … the Burton Bomb, the Mahoney dig, and the Kikau barge your way over , the Presto barge your way over … if they don’t work, expect a duck egg at the end of the game …

We may not have a premiership winning squad, but we do have some very good talent, Mahoney, Kikau, Thompson, JAC, TPJ, Averillo, Burton, Kiraz, Sexton, Preston ..

No way we should be having cricket scores put on us …. Get rid of the Panthers methods in 1st grade and just focus that on the kids in the lower grades for the future …. get back to more of what Potter and Sandercocks did, have a look at the players you have in 1st grade free them up and let them play to their strengths, let them play entertaining footy that compliments their talent and develop a defensive structure that suits their own style ..

It’s JMO … but that’s where I feel Our real problems lie … unfortunately we’re experiencing our 2nd case of Pantheritis … and if we’re stubborn enough to carry it through to next season … expect more of the same ..
Mahoney can’t handle being on the back foot for 85% of the game looses his head a bit. His in the midst of it all trying his ass off while we just leak points. Fox injury issues just hasn’t looked 100% currently being played of the right which is a joke too, an off season is all he needs imo. Kiraz busted since early tries his ass of though, Burton has switched of and hasn’t really got running and TPJ is in another world

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are fish out of water here.. guess we all expected a lot different. Just didn’t work.
I’m liking your new avatar Scoob, I think he’ll surprise a lot of naysayer’s on here next year ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam Reynolds was never, ever ever ever ever coming to the dogs even if we offered him $1.5 million. The sharks offered him more than the broncos and he still knocked them back.

If he went there he would not have even had to move house but he didn’t want to play for another Sydney club.

Also he is a smart guy and why the fuck would he play out his career with us ?? Even though Brisbane were not great in 2021 when he signed with them it was pretty obvious they were on the up.

No offence at all to you mate. Just shits me because people on here have mentioned him before. Pure fantasy
I’ve agreed with this type of comment many times, we had our full cap just come back to us when Reynolds was available … he knocked us and other Sydney clubs back … plus I think Bronco’s were smart enough to offer an after footy career of some type … we’ll see what that is in a year or so …

But the we should have bought Reynolds comments will still pop up, just like the we should have kept Vaughan and the $500k for KO comments [emoji849]

Good post ..

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know it's a slog to get players to come here at the moment, but there was a time when Gus would have been able to command top tier signings on his name, alone. His name is losing its luster because he is starting to make bad decisions....ie signing an untested coach on a five year deal and signing luxury players on overs. I am a believer that you shouldn't sign a player on overs just because no one better is available unless there's a genuine chance they are going to turn your team around. Crichton and Kikau are players that will look like absolute bulls when running with other bulls, but will be not much more than tits on a bull in a roster that is not strong. They are signings for the sake of PR, not genuine prospects of team improvement. I don't think the answer is to be signing guys like Haas or Tino on million a season contracts either....it's about shopping smart when it comes to props and outside backs...looking at guys who are hungry, big, ready and aren't gonna break the bank. Who these players are, I don't know. I'm not a talent scout and not even invested in the game enough to watch games that don't involve us.... but the smart clubs always have a way of finding them rather than paying a mint for an established star prop.

The shambolic way our current roster is managed doesn't help our cause either. Just look at Ciraldo, chopping and changing the team every week, positional changes that don't make sense, benching the captain, then bringing him back a week later for no discernible benefit.... debuting Oloapu and Rajab before they were ready and hurting their development, Burton to 7....the list goes on. Is it any wonder players don't want to come to us? It's not just that we are struggling now, it's that our selections and strategies are too damn erratic to appeal to the type of players we need to attract. The fierce competitors. the ones who are driven to win as much as they are to set up their families.

I'm not going to say with any certainty that we could have landed any of those players you mentioned had we employed better strategies and gone about our rebuild with a sense of calm and composure, but I think it's a strong possibility. Prospective signings are like investors....you need to sell them on a vision. Pretty hard thing to do when we can't even pinpoint our own vision as a club.
I think you are dead wrong on both Kikau and Crichton. We’ll see next year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How can Gould get top tier signings on his name alone when there’s no top tier players available ?

You see it as signing luxury players on overs, I see it as picking up quality players on fair money when you can.

Yes we probably needed quality in more important positions, but quality in those positions weren’t available …. so they went for the quality they could get at the time …. each quality player they have picked up has been a significant upgrade on what we had ..

What quality players has Gould signed on overs?

My original post here try’s to explain the Ciraldo chopping and changing, I believe he wants us defending and playing like the Panthers and unfortunately we don’t have it in us so he tampers with it hoping things might click into gear with a few more changes ..

Your original reply was about a scatter gun recruitment strategy and missed quality signings ..

You didn’t name those 5 player that we should have bought and missed out on ?

A lot of people on TK including you, are very good at pointing out the problems, but you don’t have any realist or logical solutions … I’m sure the club is also aware of these same problems, and they’re probably also aware there’s very few realistic solutions, they have to be patient so we don’t end up with Napa’s on large long contracts that kill quality chances in the future … there’s no magic wand, there’s just patience …

My question is are we against trying to replicate the Panthers, could we be playing better and winning more games if we played to our own players strengths and developed our own style of defence that compliments the way these players play together.

Please drop me those 5 names we should have bought !
Ran out of time to reply to this. Not ignoring you, my day just got away from me. Can’t promise I will get back to it, because it’s shaping up to be a busy week. But I will try. Interesting discussion.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They are followers, Fam… not leaders.

Indeed we will.
I don’t know them well enough to know whether they are leaders or followers. What I know is that they are exception athletes and at the elite in the league.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m liking your new avatar Scoob, I think he’ll surprise a lot of naysayer’s on here next year ..
Cheers 67, yes he will. A lot of potential, goes hard. But I’ve always wanted him here !! so for myself it means a little more to land a player I’ve been watching with interest from the get go. Bring on 24 an he can prove me wrong or right. Either way I will enjoy it !!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don’t know them well enough to know whether they are leaders or followers. What I know is that they are exception athletes and at the elite in the league.
We’ll see, Fam. It takes more than skill and athleticism to be truly elite. They are good posters, but not worth the coin we paid for them… which is why Penrith were happy to let them walk.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers 67, yes he will. A lot of potential, goes hard. But I’ve always wanted him here !! so for myself it means a little more to land a player I’ve been watching with interest from the get go. Bring on 24 an he can prove me wrong or right. Either way I will enjoy it !!
Either way I hope they give him a good go, and where ever they decide to play him I hope they pick and stick … where do you see him playing, FB, 14 or 6 ?

I’m hoping it’s FB and Crichton right centre, to me that’s playing to both players strengths .. at least for the first 10 rounds see how they’re both traveling ..

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Either way I hope they give him a good go, and where ever they decide to play him I hope they pick and stick … where do you see him playing, FB, 14 or 6 ?

I’m hoping it’s FB and Crichton right centre, to me that’s playing to both players strengths .. at least for the first 10 rounds see how they’re both traveling ..
Mate, Kikau is arguably the best 2nd rower in the game and Crighton is top 5 centre.
That is elite!

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Respect your opinions mate but there are some important points to factor in here …

We need to remember that Barrett was the first coach to inherit the so called full war chest after the Hasler salary cap woes …. what experience did he have with managing salary caps or rebuilding clubs / teams .. I believe even Bob Fulton was in charge of the cap back when Barrett was coaching Manly.

If you want to talk about scatter gun recruitment, he did a great job of that, just went after anyone and everyone with money to burn, maybe that wasn’t even him, it may have been the Anderson’s even in charge of the cap and recruitment back then as well.

But when you get it wrong it can take years to weed out and correct it because of irresponsible over paying and contract times offered to get players to say yes, whist not a lot has been said about that due to respecting Barrett and co. I believe we have been suffering from and trying to correct a very unbalanced cap, if you look at the players Gould’s moved on while still contracted it’s a given, and he hasn’t gotten every decision correct himself and not expected to … he’s only human.

I can’t agree with your Mansour opinion, I’d take a professional international/SOO JAC from the successful Melbourne system any day on $550k over Mansour at the end of his career, but if you can explain to me what JAC’s doing on the right side of the field I’d appreciate that … JAC is one signing imo Barrett did get right.

The other players you mention, we were always going to be beaten to by a Wayne Bennett coached cashed up new club ..

I also prefer Mahoney over Api who was again at the end of his career, I just think it was a mistake to make Mahoney captain before he’d played a game for us … he takes it to seriously and out of desperation try’s to win on his own and f***s up …

I get that a Hunt type of player would do wonders for the team and young blokes coming through re mentoring them, but I don’t feel Mansour or Api are that type of player.

I think now that the last of the Barrett recruitments are finally being weeded out, we might see the money go to a very different style of player, players more dedicated to training and professionalism ..

CC’s only into his first season, Gould’s only into his 2nd year with us, where was CC in his 1st year and Gould in his 2nd year at your club? ..
Fair points. It feels like Gus has been there longer than 2 years. Time flies I guess. I've been watching you guys with more interest since you signed Barrett, so most of my opinions have been formed in that time.

Gus by the end of his 2nd year with us had bought in Ivan and a host of workers with a good attitude and added Sowie, Wal & Merrin for year 3. (forgot Merrin earlier) Results on field were still shit, but it did feel like there was a plan and would pay dividends with patience. I think we overachieved in 14 tbh, but we were always going to improve. I will also concede that you can only sign who is available & we did get lucky that enough of the right players were available when they were. There havent been any Soward type players really available during your rebuild.

I can't help you with the JAC on the right question. It's a bit like Freddy splitting To'o and Critta during Origin. A head scratcher. Cleary, Martin, Critta & To'o on the same edge they play each week and destroy teams? Nah fuck that, lets mix it up. Ha ha.

I stand by my JAC v Sauce opinion. I get why most would disagree though. I'd rather watch JAC run around each week, but someone like Sauce setting the standards for blokes like Skelton, Kiraz, Schoop, Avo and so on would have been worth every cent. I think Fox has tried to set standards, but I just don't think thats who he is, nothing wrong with that, but wrong player for the wrong time imo.

Api still has a few years in him, I am still gutted we let him go tbh. Big game experience, leads the line speed in D and brings the pigs on to the ball like a champ. All for between 500 to 600k supposedly. Not sure what Reed is on, but I imagine similar, I know who I'd prefer. Added bonus that he signed for the Tigers, so he obviously isn't bothered going to a shit team.

You are probably right on the Melbourne trio, The lure of being coached by Wayne is a drawcard. It's all well and good to throw names around, but they have to agree to come. That hasn't been a real problem for you guys though. I've been a bit surprised how many players have actually signed given where you are right now. Most of your imports would have been able to find other clubs without too much trouble.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Fair enough, I'll admit I didn't follow the Reynolds move that closely. My main take at the time was being blown away that Souffs didn't want him. Was Gus on board at that time? If he wasn't, then, yeah, you were no chance. If he was I wouldn't rule it out, he has his faults, but he has a knack of getting players to buy into his vision.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next year with Ciraldos recruits if dogs flop or get the spoon I can’t see him being our long term coach,cmon in all fairness we where competitive early this year and now we look like a team that doesn’t know how to play the game,so tell me is our coach putting the players under lock and key
It seems that way to me.
And that system will never work I’m sorry

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody oath he was hard done by. He's a great club man and it's so obvious to see that players would play much harder for him than they ever would for the likes of a Barrett of CC.

You could see he took the losses hard and did a fair job under pretty difficult circumstances.

To lose his job to one of the most useless individuals to ever wear a coaches hat is an absolute farce and we got we deserved with Barrett. And getting it again by throwing a monster contract at another fraud

Gould may learn from his mistakes but I highly doubt it now.
Yeah that’s it we have looked outside I think even potter with some great assistant could have done a good job didn’t over complicate things where barrettt tried to make them robots . That whole structure works at penrith but not with us and ciraldo is a cut and paste I believe

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I been preaching this to deaf ears all season mate, I believe we have the talent in this squad to be on the cusp of the 8, if not actually in it.…

The reason we’re not is I don’t believe we’ve played the right players in their best positions or played to their strengths.

We’ve pandered to players to keep them happy, we’ve tried to replicate a team that we’re not even in the same hemisphere with and we’ve persisted with some players that should have been dropped back in round 5 ..

How would Alamoti have gone beside Kiraz in his favoured right centre position.

How would we go with Oloapu at 6 and a left edge of JAC, Burton and Kikau.

How would we have gone with Averillo at 6, Kiraz at FB and Skelton Right wing ..

We needed to drop Perham and Flanagan a lot earlier and we should have trained for positional changes pre season ..

Hopefully CC learnt a lot from his 1st season and 2024 is a very different looking squad and style of play …
I think we persevere too long with these underperforming players and ultimately we will never gonna know challenge for the top eight and it also seems like a it’s an attitude thing with the players question is what is what is going wrong where is it going wrong. And playing all these players out of position has not helped at all. It’s been detrimental like averillo prime example moved around from position to position had of had a runner fullback played well and in the off-season got moved to Centre and played well and started to develop very well in the centre and now he’s pushed back to fullback

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how Parra made the GF last year, beat Panthers twice and were a gun side, Barrett goes there this season as assistant coach and they’re now sitting in 10th place and every chance of missing the 8.

I know they lost a couple ,,,, but that’s a big fall from grace in just one season.

Another team struggling to comprehend and play the Panthers style & structures ?

Another team suffering from Pantheritis maybe ?