Are NRL this desperate for players?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/first-...-pm-call/d095f9f3-0270-43ed-a4f6-5c2eb7048a4f

Corey Allan to become first player without NRL game to get PM call
By Laine Clark 11 hours ago

He will become the first player without NRL experience to play for the Prime Minister's XIII.

But Corey Allan admitted he could so easily still be camping in central Queensland with his mates oblivious of his historic selection.

Allan, 20, had to introduce himself to his high profile teammates when he arrived for PM's XIII training in Brisbane ahead of their clash with PNG in Port Moresby on Saturday.

The try-scoring speedster has been plucked from Queensland Cup side Souths Logan by coach Mal Meninga after graduating from the Brisbane Broncos under 20s.

Allan starts a three-year South Sydney deal in 2019.

"Yeah I have had to introduce myself to a few (players) but it was good to have (ex-Bronco) Ben Hunt here who knew me from last year, now I feel comfortable," said Allan, who was named at fullback.

"I am just going to ask a thousand questions and learn what I can."

After pinching - and introducing - himself at training, Allan admitted it was only dumb luck that ensured he had received the selectors' phone call.

Allan had no phone reception while on a camping trip at the fishing town of Seventeen Seventy and only got the selectors' call when a friend's Hotspot randomly turned on.

He then had to drive six hours to get to Brisbane.

"It was just lucky timing that I picked up the call, it's pretty crazy," Allan said.

"I didn't think it (selection) was real at first.

"I thought they would just let me train with them and learn off the big boys.

"But when I found out I was actually playing I was over the moon and rang my dad straight away."

The PM's XIII fly out to Port Moresby on Thursday.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it’s a good idea having some young guy who might be something special thrown in to mix it up wit the bigger boys

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bit of a "meh" side to begin with. Half Kangaroos, half players who are lucky to even play first grade.

It's like Fringe rep players vs PNGs Q Cup side.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No there's no shortage, it's just mal meninga having a gamble.