Apology to other NRL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
Newcastle 2005 aswell. Does anyone remember Patten holding someone up or tackling someone on in the corner to win us the game?
nobody would forget that match saving tackle...

bdogfan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Definitely the 29-22 victory against the Broncos on that infamous Friday Night.

Coming back from 12 - 0 down was awesome, even if the game was ruined by some idiot but what a match

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
does anyone remeber the game in 99 when we played newcastle and i think they led us 26-0 and we won the game 28-26 on the back rocket rod silva scoring a hat trick of tries

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stevie J said:

Steve_Mortimer and Prodigal Son
I'm look at you two to provide moments from games pre 1990 :grinning:
You're in luck, Stevie J, as I only look at about 20% (at most) of the threads in the Kennel, but this was one of the 20% that I decided to look at! (Most of the thread topics in the Kennel are of either no interest to me or are of a rubbish nature).

Anyway, on to the topic at hand.........

Its a long time ago, but OK, here are a few from pre-1990 from games that I have attended...............

1975 - A 50-6 thrashing of Norths at North Sydney Oval back in the days when they were the Berries. What was remarkable about the size of this win was that Canterbury played most of the match with 12 men after Norm Thomas was sent off early in the first half. Also don't forget that a try was only 3 points in those days, so the score in today's system would have been 62-6 (Canterbury scored 12 tries in that win).

1977 - A victory against Manly at Belmore. Canterbury fielded an understrength side to the club having a bad injury run. During the game some more players got injured and the club used all its allowed replacements, meaning 3 or so "walking wounded" had to see out the last part of the game (eg Mark Hughes had to play on the wing due to a rib injury sustained during the game). The Bulldogs managed to hold on and win something like 12-7 against the odds.

1985 - A 26-0 thrashing of a star studded Parramatta side in the Preliminary Final at the SCG. The Bulldog forwards were awesome that day and cowed Parramatta into submission.

1986 - A win at the SCG against a good quality South Sydney side (contained players like Fenech, Roberts, Davidson, Coleman, Boyle etc and Souths ended up finishing second in the Minor Premiership that year) after Peter Kelly was sent off after only a few seconds (in the very first tackle of the game for a nasty head-high on Ian Roberts). Final score was 26-2 to the Bulldogs.

And a couple post-1990...............

1991 - Beating Cronulla 26-16 at Belmore after Cronulla led 16-0. It was the last game of the regular season and Canterbury had to win this match in order to make a play-off for 5th against Wests.

1994 - The 19-18 semi-final win at SFS against Canberra after extra time (Darryl Halligan kicked the winning field goal). This was the best game of rugby league that I have ever seen out of the 200 odd that I have attended over the years - I had laryngitis for a couple of days afterwards from cheering myself hoarse for the Bulldogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
You're in luck, Stevie J.........I only look at about 20% (at most) of the threads in the Kennel (most of the thread topics are of either no interest to me or of a "rubbish" nature), but I decided to look at this one!

Its a long time ago, but OK, here are a few from pre-1990 from games that I have attended...............

1975 - A 50-6 thrashing of Norths at North Sydney Oval back in the days when they were the Berries. What was remarkable about the size of this win was that Canterbury played most of the match with 12 men after Norm Thomas was sent off early in the first half. Also don't forget that a try was only 3 points in those days, so the score in today's system would have been 62-6 (Canterbury scored 12 tries in that win).

1977 - A victory against Manly at Belmore. Canterbury fielded an understrength side to the club having a bad injury run. During the game some more players got injured and the club used all its allowed replacements, meaning 3 or so "walking wounded" had to see out the last part of the game (eg Mark Hughes had to play on the wing due to a rib injury sustained during the game). The Bulldogs managed to hold on and win something like 12-7 against the odds.

1985 - A 26-0 thrashing of a star studded Parramatta side in the Preliminary Final at the SCG. The Bulldog forwards were awesome that day and cowed Parramatta into submission.

1986 - A win at the SCG against a good quality South Sydney side (contained players like Fenech, Roberts, Davidson, Coleman, Boyle etc and Souths ended up finishing second in the Minor Premiership that year) after Peter Kelly was sent off after only a few seconds (in the very first tackle of the game for a nasty head-high on Ian Roberts). Final score was 26-2 to the Bulldogs.

And a couple post-1990...............

1991 - Beating Cronulla 26-16 at Belmore after Cronulla led 16-0. It was the last game of the regular season and Canterbury had to win this match in order to make a play-off for 5th against Wests.

1994 - The 19-18 semi-final win at SFS against Canberra after extra time (Darryl Halligan kicked the winning field goal). This was the best game of rugby league that I have ever seen out of the 200 odd that I have attended over the years - I had laryngitis for a couple of days afterwards from cheering myself hoarse for the Bulldogs.
Top work Prodigal son....nice to see some history in there.

That 1991 game against Cronulla I remember all too well :grinning: I also remember the following play off against Wests for 5th when we were about to score but the ref called full time with the ball still in play.... :(

Also on a brighter note that 1994 game was one of the best I've seen as well. I was too young to make it out to the game back then but I made sure I saw it on TV.

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
That 1991 game against Cronulla I remember all too well :(
Stevie J, that should be a SMILE there, NOT a frown! Canterbury WON that 1991 game against Cronulla 26-16 (after being down 16-0)! Or are you getting it mixed up with another game?

Stevie J said:
I also remember the following play off against Wests for 5th when we were about to score but the ref called full time with the ball still in play.... :(
Yes, that game deserves a frown! I was at that 1991 playoff at Parra Stadium (and I have a vague recollection of the ref calling full-time slightly earlier than he should have with Canterbury attacking Wests line).

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Oooops I got my smileys mixed up.....edited it now...Anyway yeah we were attacking the Wests line and my memory is a bit sketchy but I remember the ref blowing full time when we had the ball in our hands running at the line.

After that I remember being really upset about it for days that we didnt make the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.