Anyone remember Fiona McDonald from Wombat, Agro, It's a Knockout

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poor buggar has MND.

She was an afternoon TV star for a generation of kids. Now she’s asking for their help

For an entire generation of Australian children in the 1980s, Fiona MacDonald was an undisputed star, appearing on an afternoon show called Wombat with an angry, wise-cracking hand puppet named Agro, along with her prime-time gig on the hilariously camp physical challenge game show It’s a Knockout.

And so was her sister Jacki, who had also become a household name as Daryl Somers’ sidekick on Hey Hey It’s Saturday, along with another smart-mouthed puppet, this time a pink ostrich named Ozzie.

While the MacDonalds left the spotlight years ago to raise families and pursue careers outside the media, Fiona is hoping enough of those kids – now aged in their 40s and beyond – will remember her to help raise money and awareness to combat a deadly disease to which she refuses to surrender.

In November 2021, MacDonald was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND), and over the past two years it has mercilessly attacked the muscles that control her ability to move, speak, breathe, swallow, and ultimately live.

“I noticed in July that I was having trouble speaking clearly, particularly if I was tired. I ignored this for a while but realised it could be something sinister, so I embarked on an extensive round of medical tests, ultrasounds of my neck, full spinal MRIs, nerve testing, blood testing – everything was looked at until finally, they came to the terrible conclusion that it could only be motor neurone disease,” MacDonald explained via email, given her difficulty speaking.

“This is not a disease for the faint-hearted. MND, also called ALS, is cruel, stealing the power of all muscles inch by inch, until you can’t walk, can’t hold hands, can’t talk, swallow and breathe. Then you die. There is no treatment, no cure. You get MND, you die.

“This has driven my sense of urgency to do something that matters, to try to help others who have, or will, get MND. The only answers will come from research and trials, so I’ve decided to attempt a last grand adventure in the spirit of It’s a Knockout – a 15,000-kilometre drive around Australia – with a target of $100,000 to support the work of neurologist Professor Dominic Rowe – a leader in his field.”

Rowe is working to fund a $2 million world-first trial at Macquarie University to test a novel compound, developed in Australia, called Copper-ATSM, to see if it can redress the imbalance of metals that occurs in the brain of patients with familial MND or sporadic MND.

MacDonald had already raised $25,000 toward her goal before she even got out of the driveway on Thursday to start the epic journey. Joining her in the adventure, which has been green-lit by her medical team, and which she anticipates will take around six weeks, is sister Kylie Thynne, who will be her main support for driving, along with various friends. Son Harry has volunteered to drive the Broome to Katherine leg, and her other boy, Rafe, is also planning to assist.

“At first I dealt with my diagnosis with black humour … While I could laugh I did, as much as possible. The fear set in for me when I suddenly started to have moments when I couldn’t talk at all. My throat would just close and I could barely squeak,” MacDonald explained.
“The hardest thing I have found about this gradual decline is the loss of power … but what’s the point of dwelling on the bad things when you have limited time to find the beauty?

“The best thing about this challenge is that suddenly I have my power back. I feel good, a touch weak, but so very good. So many people have already donated, with such love and kindness, I feel happy and amazed.”

Looks like she may have the fast version of MND.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor buggar had MND.

She was an afternoon TV star for a generation of kids. Now she’s asking for their help

For an entire generation of Australian children in the 1980s, Fiona MacDonald was an undisputed star, appearing on an afternoon show called Wombat with an angry, wise-cracking hand puppet named Agro, along with her prime-time gig on the hilariously camp physical challenge game show It’s a Knockout.

And so was her sister Jacki, who had also become a household name as Daryl Somers’ sidekick on Hey Hey It’s Saturday, along with another smart-mouthed puppet, this time a pink ostrich named Ozzie.

While the MacDonalds left the spotlight years ago to raise families and pursue careers outside the media, Fiona is hoping enough of those kids – now aged in their 40s and beyond – will remember her to help raise money and awareness to combat a deadly disease to which she refuses to surrender.

In November 2021, MacDonald was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND), and over the past two years it has mercilessly attacked the muscles that control her ability to move, speak, breathe, swallow, and ultimately live.

“I noticed in July that I was having trouble speaking clearly, particularly if I was tired. I ignored this for a while but realised it could be something sinister, so I embarked on an extensive round of medical tests, ultrasounds of my neck, full spinal MRIs, nerve testing, blood testing – everything was looked at until finally, they came to the terrible conclusion that it could only be motor neurone disease,” MacDonald explained via email, given her difficulty speaking.

“This is not a disease for the faint-hearted. MND, also called ALS, is cruel, stealing the power of all muscles inch by inch, until you can’t walk, can’t hold hands, can’t talk, swallow and breathe. Then you die. There is no treatment, no cure. You get MND, you die.

“This has driven my sense of urgency to do something that matters, to try to help others who have, or will, get MND. The only answers will come from research and trials, so I’ve decided to attempt a last grand adventure in the spirit of It’s a Knockout – a 15,000-kilometre drive around Australia – with a target of $100,000 to support the work of neurologist Professor Dominic Rowe – a leader in his field.”

Rowe is working to fund a $2 million world-first trial at Macquarie University to test a novel compound, developed in Australia, called Copper-ATSM, to see if it can redress the imbalance of metals that occurs in the brain of patients with familial MND or sporadic MND.

MacDonald had already raised $25,000 toward her goal before she even got out of the driveway on Thursday to start the epic journey. Joining her in the adventure, which has been green-lit by her medical team, and which she anticipates will take around six weeks, is sister Kylie Thynne, who will be her main support for driving, along with various friends. Son Harry has volunteered to drive the Broome to Katherine leg, and her other boy, Rafe, is also planning to assist.

“At first I dealt with my diagnosis with black humour … While I could laugh I did, as much as possible. The fear set in for me when I suddenly started to have moments when I couldn’t talk at all. My throat would just close and I could barely squeak,” MacDonald explained.
“The hardest thing I have found about this gradual decline is the loss of power … but what’s the point of dwelling on the bad things when you have limited time to find the beauty?

“The best thing about this challenge is that suddenly I have my power back. I feel good, a touch weak, but so very good. So many people have already donated, with such love and kindness, I feel happy and amazed.”

Extremely sad. Terrible disease.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember her Agro use to touch her up and she would say - Oh don’t you silly sausage and he would retort with ya know you love it. Different times.
Nasheed here I’m not sure that was Fiona think it was the other bird

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here I’m not sure that was Fiona think it was the other bird
You're thinking of Anne-Maree. Fiona McDonald was on Wombat which was the original Agro show with Agro and Fiona McDonald. After Wombat ended, Agro's Cartoon Connection started with Anne-Maree, then later a bunch of others (Teresa Livingstone was my favourite)

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor buggar has MND.

Bloody hell..watched her as kid..cruel bloody disease..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You're thinking of Anne-Maree. Fiona McDonald was on Wombat which was the original Agro show with Agro and Fiona McDonald. After Wombat ended, Agro's Cartoon Connection started with Anne-Maree, then later a bunch of others (Teresa Livingstone was my favourite)
Yeah her. She was the one getting sexual with aggro and she was hot

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Remember Ranger Stacey? I think she started on the Agro show

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, she was great too. And Catriona Rowntree. But Teresa was my favourite by far

View attachment 76369
Yes, she is a babe… I met Catriona Rowntree at Coogee Oval once we were playing Sydney Uni… I think her boyfriend was playing for them.. We were selling raffle tickets and she put on her mobile phone number on the ticket… But I didn’t copy it… And she was a babe.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yes, she is a babe… I met Catriona Rowntree at Coogee Oval once we were playing Sydney Uni… I think her boyfriend was playing for them.. We were selling raffle tickets and she put on her mobile phone number on the ticket… But I didn’t copy it… And she was a babe.
Remember her "home movie"?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sound knowledge Hacky :-).

They used to film It’s A Knockout near where a childhood friend of mine lived (Cherrybrook/Dural border) and we’d walk through the site - the only time they had any sort of ‘security’ were days when they filmed and had audiences there, otherwise it was pretty much open. We saw Billy J. Smith and Fiona McDonald at some nearby shops one day and told everyone of our ‘celebrity’ spot :tearsofjoy:.

Those were the days when things seemed simpler…

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I sat next to Catriona on a flight once to Bangkok when her and her crew were going somewhere for Getaway. She talked the whole bloody way but I forgave her because she was tidy. So shallow :tearsofjoy:.