Any good oil on Burton

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest news on Crichton,apparently Penrith have put forward a new contract in the vicinity of $600k a season which is $100k a season more than previously,but apparently he’s manager is talking $650k +,they will have to let either burton or someone else lose,was on the radio this morning.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You dont get it fmd $150k extra makes a big difference on a big contract
As others have said you need to replace him in the squad too so even with a minimum salary you are going to be left with $50k at most to throw onto someone else’s contact.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Latest news on Crichton,apparently Penrith have put forward a new contract in the vicinity of $600k a season which is $100k a season more than previously,but apparently he’s manager is talking $650k +,they will have to let either burton or someone else lose,was on the radio this morning.
The only way this makes any sense is if Burton is not on minimum wage.. and on at least 200k and they have a player worth minimum ready to replace him..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regardless .. there is minimum squad requirements.. and that position will need to be filled by a player with a value of at the very least 110k...
Yeah I forgot about that it makes even less sense to release him from Penriths point of view.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which one would you choose out of $150k of cap space versus having the best back up half in the comp when you’re in a premiership window?
Which one would you choose out of earning $450-550k to play full time in your favoured 5/8 position, further progressing your career or earning $150k to play three games at centre?

I’m hoping Burton and his manager play the standard “disgruntled NRL player” game

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which one would you choose out of earning $450-550k to play full time in your favoured 5/8 position, further progressing your career or earning $150k to play three games at centre?

I’m hoping Burton and his manager play the standard “disgruntled NRL player” game
Yeah Bruton has to take a leaf out of Klemmers book. Its the only way I can see it happening.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Bruton has to take a leaf out of Klemmers book. Its the only way I can see it happening.
We can only hope to get one go in our favour mate.
Luai is no guarantee to be out during origin either. May would step straight in the halves for Cleary.

You would think that it would also deter younger players with potential from joining Panthers if the club is publicly known to dig their heels in and prevent players from earning what they’re worth

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way this makes any sense is if Burton is not on minimum wage.. and on at least 200k and they have a player worth minimum ready to replace him..
I’m only guessing,but I couldn’t imagine burton or Naden would be on much more than $350k each, which is what they would need to cover the money Crichton and luai are after.and they also have quite a few other juniors they have to upgrade,so I’m pretty confident that burton and another will be on our books by the end of year,.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
true... some clubs do though seem willing to allow under contract players to leave if their progression to the first team is blocked and they can sign long term elsewhere... for example, Corey Allan is under contract for next year but Fox Sports reported that the Rabbits won't stand in his way if he can sign long term elsewhere

an early release is clearly in Burton's best interests to move to his new team a.s.a.p instead of languishing on the Panthers bench or in reserve grade and he will earn a lot more with us... it is clearly in our interests too... it is a loss for the Panthers but some form of financial compensation and a clause that he doesn't play against the Panthers in 2021 seems fair

the Panthers are also in an interesting spot because they are now on everyone's radar as to their players and they are going to have to manage their squad and players coming thru well
True but Matt Burton aint just an ordinary Cory Allan type player this kid can play and is destined for an outstanding career! Think alongs the lines of Darren Lockyer mixed with James Tedesco, that’s how good Burton is which is why Penrith are reluctant to let him go!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If true ($600k), I hope we don't try to outbid them.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but the panthers have a gun squad player who takes up fark all cap space. If they release him and Luai does an ACL in round 1 then they look like idiots.

I agree that he could get a release if he wants one but him or his manager hasn’t said that yet. He might want to repay the club who gave him his shot and try and help them win a comp.
You forget that the Panthers have Tyrone May as backup for Luai which is why Burton is third in line in that position and the reason he signed with us. May is a natural five eighth not a centre!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As others have said you need to replace him in the squad too so even with a minimum salary you are going to be left with $50k at most to throw onto someone else’s contact.
Ok so when we get burton next year I’ll remind u ok

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone know why the NRL does this bullshit 12 month advance signing fuckery?
Because it stopped clubs like the Rorters signing players two years in advance.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah. That's basically it. And I'd imagine he will. Shit. For 400k more a year, who wouldn't? Especially at that age, and having the chance to play 1sts in the position he wants.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah exactly.. the benefit of releasing a disgruntled player on big dollars is that you can spend that money elsewhere for potentially better value for money..

When you have a player on peanuts but his ability is far greater than his value.. there is literally no value in releasing him... Especially when his spot in the squad will need to be filled again anyway with another minimum wage player..
Doesn’t help the panthers to release him. The only way it is advantageous them ,is if we take on a surplus player ie Mansour or Whare that will free up space in their cap. Mansour being the better option imo.
We need to force their hand by making offers to Leniu and Crichton. We could snag Crichton in the process and get Burton and Crichton in 2022

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so when we get burton next year I’ll remind u ok
What are you on about? There no need for attitude like that. Everyone wants him next year but there’s plenty of hurdles to cross that’s all.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn’t help the panthers to release him. The only way it is advantageous them ,is if we take on a surplus player ie Mansour or Whare that will free up space in their cap. Mansour being the better option imo.
We need to force their hand by making offers to Leniu and Crichton. We could snag Crichton in the process and get Burton and Crichton in 2022
Yep that's the only way I see it happening. Remember if Mansour doesn't find a new club then he'll be burning a $500K hole in Penrith's pocket - money they need and were probably banking on when it looked like he was going to sign with the Tigers. Now that the Tigers deal isn't looking likely, Penrith probably panicked and told us if we take Mansour off them then they'll release Burton. I cant see any other way we could have got him

If Penrith did release him without Mansour/Whare/player swap, then Hill deserves a pay rise for some excellent negotiating

Anyway it sounds like we've got him anyway for 21 so now we have to wait another 6 weeks for confirmation :(

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep that's the only way I see it happening. Remember if Mansour doesn't find a new club then he'll be burning a $500K hole in Penrith's pocket - money they need and were probably banking on when it looked like he was going to sign with the Tigers. Now that the Tigers deal isn't looking likely, Penrith probably panicked and told us if we take Mansour off them then they'll release Burton. I cant see any other way we could have got him

If Penrith did release him without Mansour/Whare/player swap, then Hill deserves a pay rise for some excellent negotiating

Anyway it sounds like we've got him anyway for 21 so now we have to wait another 6 weeks for confirmation :(
When does the season start?

Wild Robbo

Waterboy
Reaction score

Yeah I think its the only incentive Penrith have of letting Burton go early is for us to take Mansour.
It will free up cap space for them to keep Crichton.
Hopefully its only for 2 years max.