The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can someone post the article for this?
Here you go chief

DAILYTELEGRAPH ›

Anthony Griffin’s verdict: Improving Bulldogs will give finals a shake
MARCH 12, 2019

Canterbury has traditionally been known for its tough uncompromising style of play, particularly defensively.

Last season you could start to see glimpses of this re-emerging. The fact they finished ninth in defence and 12th on the NRL ladder backs this up.

These numbers also highlight the importance of the Bulldogs improving their attack, which ranked 13th.

The forward pack is strong and has experience and firepower. The playmakers and outside backs are a mixture of class and inexperience.

Their roster has had a major renovation. Some very big losses will be balanced out by the recruitment of Dylan Napa and Sauaso Sue, two very high-quality players from Penrith in Corey Harawira-Naera and Christian Crichton, and a couple of talented youngsters from Newcastle — Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger.

Perhaps now the proud club is settled and about to build steadily.

Overall, it looks a big ask to make the eight this year, but they should be improving and will give it a shake.

THE FORWARDS

Canterbury have a good pack that can get them into a lot of game-winning positions. If the Dogs start the season with the forward pack they finished with, the bench will look something like this: Sue, Harawira-Naera and Raymond Faitala-Mariner; very strong with a lot of impact. The starting pack should see Napa at prop with Aiden Tolman and Josh Jackson on the right edge, Rhyse Martin on the left and Adam Elliott at lock.

There is plenty of upside in a lot of these guys and a couple of good, tough, experienced leaders in Jackson and Tolman. Sue is an experienced NRL interchange forward and Harawira-Naera and Faitala-Mariner are elite. The depth is reasonable also with Danny Fualalo and Ofahiki Ogden capable of contributing.

THE SPINE

Lachlan Lewis had a fantastic debut season. The-22 year-old showed great control with directing the team and his kicking game. He is only nine games into his NRL career, so it’s important for him to have a work hard/start again mindset going into this season.

Kieran Foran will be an asset for him in the halves. Foran is coming off a great off-season preparation and looks set to return to his best.

If Foran can fire and Lewis continues to improve they can form a very good combination. Michael Lichaa should start at hooker after resurrecting his career. His form last year was very solid. A quality dummy-half, he chalked up 100 games in the last round. The other hooking option is Fa’amanu Brown; a good utility player who can play halves and hooker.

The final playmaker position coach Dean Pay needs to finalise is fullback. Meaney was impressive in that role for Newcastle in his debut season and will look to build on his five appearances in 2019. The unknown is how Lewis and Meaney will handle their first full season.

THE OUTSIDE BACKS

Apart from centre Will Hopoate (123 games) there isn’t a player who has played more than 50 NRL games.

Kerrod Holland (46) finished the season well at right centre and built a good combination with Reimis Smith (12 games).

Smith scored seven tries in 11 games and looks a good prospect.

Pay may potentially go for Hopoate to slot into the left centre vacancy left by Josh Morris. He is an experienced professional who has grand final and Origin experience, and at 26 has loads of value.

Marcelo Montoya (34 games) and Crichton (20) may well end up competing to be Hopoate’s wing partner. Bottom line: there is a lack of experience in this group.

ROOKIE TO WATCH

Morgan Harper is a young outside back who could grab an opportunity this season. He started 2018 in Jersey Flegg and progressed to be part of the club’s NSW Cup premiership team.

STAT OF NOTE

The Bulldogs finished 15th in the NRL in linebreaks (2.5 per game) and tries scored (2.7 per game)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
With the teams released this is an interesting read. Griffin was wrong for most, but does raise good points about the team.

Onwards and Upwards I say!

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I find it interesting that Griffin didn’t contemplate carrying two props on the bench.

I still can’t figure out how Fualalo’s there instead of Martin or C Smith.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The fact that we finished 15th In line breaks, meaney should have been given the 1.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like what Griffin says, I would rather hear from a guy that has had experience in coaching than these pricks like Rothfield and co.
He mentions how The Prince will handle a full season but for me I see Lewis being there for a full season a big plus for our team. Lewis can only improve as the season gets on. what he did with the small amount of games he played was amazing. We are a much better, stable team than last year and have players that are competing for a spot compared to the crap we had last year. looking forward to a win on Saturday.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If the dogs do not resign Pay, i would love for them to go after Griffin.

The guy can coach.

He has been shafted by two clubs by no fault of his own.

Brisbane wanted Bennett back
Penrith wanted Clearly back

Yes, i have heard some players dont get on with him, but i blame the players being little sooks...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the dogs do not resign Pay, i would love for them to go after Griffin.

The guy can coach.

He has been shafted by two clubs by no fault of his own.

Brisbane wanted Bennett back
Penrith wanted Clearly back

Yes, i have heard some players dont get on with him, but i blame the players being little sooks...
That’s an early call mate lol..!! We not even near talking about a new coach (far from it) but If pay was not re-signed then I agree, could do worse than griffin and he would do a good job.

But we have deano and I hope it works out long term and he remains for many years. (New era) Yeeeeeeahhh!!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was really pumped on how our FG/first half boys defended in the trial.. they looked like a solid unit... I also was impressed by some of the technique and shots close to the line I saw from Adam Elliott in the Indigenous game.. These boys are really buying in and I can't wait for the weekend!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was really pumped on how our FG/first half boys defended in the trial.. they looked like a solid unit... I also was impressed by some of the technique and shots close to the line I saw from Adam Elliott in the Indigenous game.. These boys are really buying in and I can't wait for the weekend!
i liked the way they moved the ball around with those tries in the 1st half i think there are plenty of tries in our squad

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i liked he way they moved the ball around with those tries in the 1st half i think there are plenty of tries in our squad
If we play a similar type of style like we did 1st half of trial An are consistent, then it will be a massive year! Was very impressed with what I saw first 40, we are going to have a better year than many predicted..!!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we play a similar type of style like we did 1st half of trial An are consistent, then it will be a massive year! Was very impressed with what I saw first 40, we are going to have a better year than many predicted..!!
agree 100% Scoooby

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i liked he way they moved the ball around with those tries in the 1st half i think there are plenty of tries in our squad

yeah hey... looks like they have picked up where they left of at the end of last season. Even in just a short amount of time on field together, you could get a sense of how well Foz, Hoppa and Prince will gel together.. they looked really slick in that movement when the three of them combined for one of our tries

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah hey... looks like they have picked up where they left of at the end of last season. Even in just a short amount of time on field together, you could get a sense of how well Foz, Hoppa and Prince will gel together.. they looked really slick in that movement when the three of them combined for one of our tries
Yes i like the team as well would off liked the inclusion of Meaney but his time come. Cant wait till sat watching isp on fox before game as well

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes i like the team as well would off liked the inclusion of Meaney but his time come. Cant wait till sat watching isp on fox before game as well
yeah I'm an advocate for Meaney as well... but knowing we really want to bag a few wins in the first few rounds, it's probably better to go the safe option... I think Deano will ease him in as the season progresses

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
Pay has some rounds to prove himself and justify player position in the backs.
I’m keen to see the speed and intensity we have.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay has some rounds to prove himself and justify player position in the backs.
I’m keen to see the speed and intensity we have.
Welcome to TK 2thebone!! Enjoy mate.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont care what anyone says, im calling it a premiership year. I reackon with some heart and alot of hard work and discipline we can do it!!
I really love the optimism mate but even if we surprise everyone, go on an amazing run and somehow make it to the big one the gayrl won't let us win the comp, greenturd and his little boyfriend will do whatever they can to screw us over

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really love the optimism mate but even if we surprise everyone, go on an amazing run and somehow make it to the big one the gayrl won't let us win the comp, greenturd and his little boyfriend will do whatever they can to screw us over
The difference between a good team and a great one is how they deal with the spanners thrown into the works. So if we get screwed by refs etc all year and still give the finals a shake it will speak volumes about the dogs. It would be nice to have a chance to play with fair refereeing, but if we don't and still perform well it can give us a lot of hope for the future.