ANOTHER mid season NRL rule change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
NRL find another way to remove and turn over possession from an attacking side. Clearly the play the ball one isn't working well enough.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/24...ack-down-on-dummy-half-passes-into-defenders/

NRL head of football Brian Canavan has instructed referees to crack down on players deliberately passing the ball into defending players at the ruck.

Starting with Thursday night's clash at Suncorp Stadium between Brisbane and Parramatta, referees will now rule that if a dummy-half player "deliberately passes the ball into a defending player caught in and around the ruck who is not actively taking part in the play, the act will be deemed to be contrary to the true spirit of the game".

Referees will award a penalty against the attacking team and the NRL has informed all clubs of the directive.

"What we have seen recently is a bad look for the game, and in simple terms, not in the spirit of the game," Canavan said.

"In these instances, if a player deliberately throws the ball into another, the referees will give a penalty to the opposition team.

"This does not absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised if it is deemed that they are interfering with play."

Mr Canavan also said referees had been instructed to communicate warnings or cautions for repeated infringements to Captains more efficiently in order to minimise delays in restarting play.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Are they taking the piss? Maybe start by fixing up the quality of referee decisions, not introducing more ways for them to remove possession from an attacking team.

The more shit like this goes on, the more convinced I am that the game is rigged.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i feel like they should have just penalised players turtling in the play the ball. At least when players were chucking it against them there was some penalty to lying in the ruck. Now there's none

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
i feel like they should have just penalised players turtling in the play the ball. At least when players were chucking it against them there was some penalty to lying in the ruck. Now there's none
Did you read the full rule change? If the defending player is interfering they will be penalised. In a sense, what they are doing is removing the ability for dogs like Anthony Milford to 'milk' penalties that way. Took freaking long enough. That pass he threw to that roosters player who was standing no where near the play-the-ball or impeding the Broncos attackers was fucking pathetic.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 2 penalties from the weekend were terrible. If the refs had any brains they wouldn't have blown the penalty. They can 'interpret' the other 400 rules in the game to their liking but can't manage to see that as milking???

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Did you read the full rule change? If the defending player is interfering they will be penalised. In a sense, what they are doing is removing the ability for dogs like Anthony Milford to 'milk' penalties that way. Took freaking long enough. That pass he threw to that roosters player who was standing no where near the play-the-ball or impeding the Broncos attackers was fucking pathetic.
"This does not absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised if it is deemed that they are interfering with play."

That part has never been enforced. numerous time you see dummy halves climbing over the tackler to get to the ball(often after the play the ball rolls into them) and they are never penalised

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL find another way to remove and turn over possession from an attacking side. Clearly the play the ball one isn't working well enough.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/24...ack-down-on-dummy-half-passes-into-defenders/

NRL head of football Brian Canavan has instructed referees to crack down on players deliberately passing the ball into defending players at the ruck.

Starting with Thursday night's clash at Suncorp Stadium between Brisbane and Parramatta, referees will now rule that if a dummy-half player "deliberately passes the ball into a defending player caught in and around the ruck who is not actively taking part in the play, the act will be deemed to be contrary to the true spirit of the game".

Referees will award a penalty against the attacking team and the NRL has informed all clubs of the directive.

"What we have seen recently is a bad look for the game, and in simple terms, not in the spirit of the game," Canavan said.

"In these instances, if a player deliberately throws the ball into another, the referees will give a penalty to the opposition team.

Mr Canavan also said referees had been instructed to communicate warnings or cautions for repeated infringements to Captains more efficiently in order to minimise delays in restarting play.
I am ok with the NRL doing this as it just common sense and the adjustment should be made. I’m not sure what you are unhappy about?

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FUCKING ABOUT TIME. SUCK SHIT ANTHONY MILFORD! THIS IS ONE THAT I AM ACTUALLY HAPPY ABOUT!!!
Hope the Sutton brothers don't see it when Milf does it. :tongueclosed:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why is a rule change even required? How about the refs just stop being idiots and not penalise players for the dumbest fucking shit. Not hard to see that some of these passes are going no where near a team mate, just call play on and make the dh look stupid.

I remember a few weeks ago someone tried to pull this off and ended up throwing the ball over the sideline because the defender dodged the pass haha. Anyone else see this and remember who was involved?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As long as they use common sense and penalise crowding then all good. Players must make an effort to clear the ruck.

Funny thing is, I remember Lichaa throwing it into a player and NOT receiving a penalty.. it was just play on.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
As long as they use common sense and penalise crowding then all good. Players must make an effort to clear the ruck.

Funny thing is, I remember Lichaa throwing it into a player and NOT receiving a penalty.. it was just play on.
You sound surprised...?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is a rule change even required? How about the refs just stop being idiots and not penalise players for the dumbest fucking shit. Not hard to see that some of these passes are going no where near a team mate, just call play on and make the dh look stupid.

I remember a few weeks ago someone tried to pull this off and ended up throwing the ball over the sideline because the defender dodged the pass haha. Anyone else see this and remember who was involved?
I think the play you are talking about was Seggy against the Raiders.
I think the reason for the change is that awarding the penalties were correct under the previous interpretation.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will Smiths was as bad. Its a joke and should be penalised for doing it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope the Sutton brothers don't see it when Milf does it. :tongueclosed:
Will have to tell Chris to watch for it from the sidelines..........one half of the brothers will be in Brisbane this weekend.....too obvious for both of them to be there AGAIN...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In a perfect world the idea is okay, but then again the "incorrect play the ball" penalty was designed in a perfect world too.

First game we play with this rule guarantee we get shafted on it.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree with the rule, milking penalties is starting to become a massive issue in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.