News Andrew Ryan returns to Bulldogs

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew Ryan returns to Bulldogs

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo’s first coaching staff move can be revealed.

Bulldogs great Andrew Ryan is headed back to Belmore.

In what marks incoming Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo’s first coaching staff move, Ryan will return to Canterbury for the first time since retiring after 218 games with the club in 2011.

The former premiership-winning captain who was revered for his work-rate on the field will be charged with replenishing Canterbury’s hard-nosed DNA.

Ryan will work in a cultural leadership role that will focus on creating a greater connection and understanding of what the Bulldogs stand for and who the players represent.

The former NSW and Test forward has almost a decade of experience in mentorship, education and player wellbeing at the NRL.

More recently, the 2009 Dally M captain of the year coached the Knights NSW Cup team and for the past two years, the NSW under-19’s.

The latter could prove hugely advantageous for the Dogs recruitment when it comes to trying to lure the best young talent in the game.

Ciraldo and Ryan have been close confidantes ever since working together with the Country Origin team from 2014 to 2017.

Ryan, 43, was also a member of Ciraldo’s staff when he was coach of Italy during the 2017 World Cup.
Ryan told The Sunday Telegraph he was excited to be heading back to Belmore.

“I’m super passionate about helping the club and doing anything I can for Canterbury,’’ Ryan said.

“I know Cam very well, he’s a wonderful appointment and he’s someone that values the connection of a group highly.

“He reached out to me to see if I was interested in helping develop that space for the Dogs, while also doing anything and everything with the team.

“This is a playing group that I can’t wait to get connected with.

“I think everyone would know how much Canterbury means to me and I want every player to understand what this club can do for them.

“It’s a special club with a special fan base.

“It helped shape my life and that’s how every player should feel when they pull on a Bulldogs jersey.

“I know it’s been tough for fans of late, but I can’t wait to get in and get this great club back to where it belongs in the NRL.’’

Ryan is recognised as one of the club’s most influential leaders having served as captain of Canterbury across seven seasons, including the honour of leading the Bulldogs to their 2004 premiership success.

Ciraldo is in the midst of formalising his coaching staff for the 2023 season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/0587d1580880634361a8828e6cb82286

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've done the DNA dance before.

Hoping for better results this time (if, and when, these results occur I will be spraying my DNA in all directions).
Yeah. Don't like the whole DNA take personally.

Prefer just to get the right people whether they've got previous connections to the club ... or not.

It does seem as tho Ryan is a decent fit and he's not seemingly stepping into a coaching role. So, in that case, I'd say it's a good move by the club.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also, interesting to note that CC is making the calls on at least some of the staffing appointments. Don't think this was the case with TBaz.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
snip.jpg
Nearly shat myself when I saw the word "Hasler" in the headline.

Also, how do they make spelling mistakes like that before hitting the publish button. Surely there would be a large red & highly-visible squiggle.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Andrew Ryan returns to Bulldogs

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo’s first coaching staff move can be revealed.

Bulldogs great Andrew Ryan is headed back to Belmore.

In what marks incoming Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo’s first coaching staff move, Ryan will return to Canterbury for the first time since retiring after 218 games with the club in 2011.

The former premiership-winning captain who was revered for his work-rate on the field will be charged with replenishing Canterbury’s hard-nosed DNA.

Ryan will work in a cultural leadership role that will focus on creating a greater connection and understanding of what the Bulldogs stand for and who the players represent.

The former NSW and Test forward has almost a decade of experience in mentorship, education and player wellbeing at the NRL.

More recently, the 2009 Dally M captain of the year coached the Knights NSW Cup team and for the past two years, the NSW under-19’s.

The latter could prove hugely advantageous for the Dogs recruitment when it comes to trying to lure the best young talent in the game.

Ciraldo and Ryan have been close confidantes ever since working together with the Country Origin team from 2014 to 2017.

Ryan, 43, was also a member of Ciraldo’s staff when he was coach of Italy during the 2017 World Cup.
Ryan told The Sunday Telegraph he was excited to be heading back to Belmore.

“I’m super passionate about helping the club and doing anything I can for Canterbury,’’ Ryan said.

“I know Cam very well, he’s a wonderful appointment and he’s someone that values the connection of a group highly.

“He reached out to me to see if I was interested in helping develop that space for the Dogs, while also doing anything and everything with the team.

“This is a playing group that I can’t wait to get connected with.

“I think everyone would know how much Canterbury means to me and I want every player to understand what this club can do for them.

“It’s a special club with a special fan base.

“It helped shape my life and that’s how every player should feel when they pull on a Bulldogs jersey.

“I know it’s been tough for fans of late, but I can’t wait to get in and get this great club back to where it belongs in the NRL.’’

Ryan is recognised as one of the club’s most influential leaders having served as captain of Canterbury across seven seasons, including the honour of leading the Bulldogs to their 2004 premiership success.

Ciraldo is in the midst of formalising his coaching staff for the 2023 season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/0587d1580880634361a8828e6cb82286
I adore Bobcat. He was one of my favourites during his time at the club.

Used to see him at NSW Cup games cheering on the boys and always very approachable . He has been doing okay for himself in the coaching game and is a great ambassador of the game.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just get the best people for the job, if that’s bobcat fine. We need a new era, the past is fantastic but we’re not going to be the entertainers or dogs of war again. We’ve got Mason, bobcat and Reynolds supposedly being involved, love for the club isn’t enough we need the best.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just get the best people for the job, if that’s bobcat fine. We need a new era, the past is fantastic but we’re not going to be the entertainers or dogs of war again. We’ve got Mason, bobcat and Reynolds supposedly being involved, love for the club isn’t enough we need the best.
Spot on

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like the appointment proof will be in success achieved.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though CC is still in the finals with Penrith he's focussed on getting the dogs in shape for next year. I'd hate it if the boot was on the other foot but I love it in this case.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't care about the DNA it's all about getting the right people in the squad for the right reasons. Bobcat is a prime example of no bullshit roll up your sleeves and get the job done, that's what we need.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't care about the DNA it's all about getting the right people in the squad for the right reasons. Bobcat is a prime example of no bullshit roll up your sleeves and get the job done, that's what we need.
Correct, DNA cliche is a load of crap.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would also like a more experienced appointment around Ciraldo considering hes a rookie coach himself..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s funny. I felt so much for Ryan like I do Jackson. Absolute warrior. Leader on field but never really useful or verbal with the refs and at the end age caught up and started feeling like they might of gone on a little to long. Jackson next year I think will be time to hang ‘em
Up. Hope he does and hangs round with Ryan behind scene’s. Two blokes tough as fick and absolute work horses for our club.